Levo Gen 2 2022 S works Turbo Levo problem with power turning off while riding

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Yesterday, I was about an 1 hour 20 minutes into a ride and my motor turned off while riding. So I stopped turned the bike back on and it turned off again a minute later. So I stopped again and opened the door to the charger plug, I pushed on it then closed the door and didn't have any problems riding home. The ride home was the road.

Today I was riding at a bike park, and rode for about 45 minutes and I went through a section with some jumps and rollers, as I was going through the section the bike turned off. I rode the remainder of the downhill without power. Then I stopped opened the door and pushed on the plug. I then rode about 5 miles back to the car, on a twisty trail with a few jumps. The power stayed on.

I think the problem is after riding awhile on bumps and jumps the charger plug gets a little loose and the power turns off.

Anyone else experience this issue? I will be taking the bike into the shop tomorrow. My buddy has the same bike and he hasn't had any issues. We checked his plug verses mine and they both look the same with the same gasket. etc.

There are not an error codes and everything is up to date.

Thank you

Update from this post, the fix was new motor.

Last edited:

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Similar thing started happening to me with my 2019 Expert. It was the original power cord/plug that had finally worn out. Sounds to me like the plug isn't engaging fully.
Thank you, I think that is what is going on because it seems like it stops working once I ride for awhile and I ride lots of bumps and hits. Then once I press on the plug, the motor works again. The plug doesn't feel lose but maybe it is. I might try cutting a sponge to put between the door and plug to see if that corrects the problem.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Also, have a really good check in the "socket" side. it only needs something tiny or magnetic to get stuck in there and it will cause the connection to separate.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
Did you ever get a fix for this? My 2022 turbo levo started doing the same thing. It turns off randomly when we I’m in the rough.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I had the same issue, it was the power cable in then ens and it got replaced. Seems tip top now.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
Seems to be a common problem with the new specialized bikes, lbs sorted mine
Last ride I was left stranded .. I’m just going to have to come to reality that my bike will be under repair for sometime … I wish they would just exchange me out with a new bike so I can keep riding lol - it’s only 3 weeks old and it’s been like this since day 1 -
Will keep this thread updated …

EBA089D1-EE8A-41A2-BA18-14F1FE39FAC5.jpeg

Nel

Jul 28, 2021
South Africa
I’m still in limbo .. I would get a refund if I could … worst big $$$$$$ purchase experience.. I’m glad you got worked out.
Have a look at the casing (housing) that the plug fits into there is some rubber seal that the lbs Shaved off, so plug seems to make better contact now

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
Just an update. Local bike shop has my $13k bike - haven’t heard or ridden it in 2 weeks - owned it for less than 2 days before issues worsened… if you’re thinking about getting this bike I would say… save your cash!! The bike is amazing when it works .. but it doesn’t. I asked for a refund towards another ebike, or just a lemon law refund ?.. I’m not stoked obviously. The user above said his bike shop Shaved the plug down lol.. dude .. $13K bike shouldn’t need some random hack lol

Sam2020

Sep 19, 2021
Israel
Last ride I was left stranded .. I’m just going to have to come to reality that my bike will be under repair for sometime … I wish they would just exchange me out with a new bike so I can keep riding lol - it’s only 3 weeks old and it’s been like this since day 1 -
Will keep this thread updated …

View attachment 69531
Are you using an Electronic Speed Delimiter ?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
My 2020 S Works levo just started doing this. At first when I would put the plug-in to charge it would not light up and start charging. Cleaned out the connection and still had trouble. Had to fiddle with it to get it to charge up. Now, over the last 7 days, it cuts out and turns itself off while riding only when the terrain is very bumpy especially downhill fast. As I am flying downhill if I look at the TCU quickly repeatedly I see it turning itself on and off repeatedly as it reconnects and then disconnects. I used duct tape pulled tightly over a half inch diameter piece of woody branch positioned over the plug cover as it has loosened up, to exert more pressure for a better connection and if I get the pressure just right power stayed on even in bumpy terrain. However on the last ride yesterday even that didn't work and as I kept checking I noticed that muddy debris was getting into the chamber whereas in the past it had not. Taking it to the bike shop but it looks like my charging port is wearing out and the connection is not secure and the cover is not keeping debris out very well. I will return to let you know what the fix was.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Actually I do this after every ride routinely while cleaning the bike. Didn't prevent this problem however. However that is a very good point and has happened to me before. That's how I got in the habit of cleaning it regularly.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
My 2022 turbo levo expert has completely stopped working. It went from errors to no response on power lcd unit. So weird. Less than 25 miles .. the bike is a $13k paper weight / it’s at the local bike shop now waiting warranty repair … I rode it 3 times… now I wait to see when they will repair. I will keep this open and keep updating for future buyers. I’m bummed about it all, but hopefully it won’t be another month of no bike! Sounds like a lot of people are having issues. At what point do they just send me a new bike haha ? I rode it 3 times… fix it or send a replacement… by the time warranty repair is finished there will probably be a new model.

TankCommander

Sep 17, 2021
Australia
My LEVO hardtail did this at first, 3 times within the first 150 km, nothing in common, once on a tarmac road going uphill, once on a gravel road going straight, once on tarmac road going downhill. Took it back to the dealer, of course it behaved, so they didn't find anything to fix. They said the sensor was a bit dirty and they re-flashed the firmware (not sure if they meant battery or motor). 2,000 km later, no issues at all. I do wipe that sensor regularly. My second battery has the older firmware.

Teephud

Sep 22, 2021
Boulder, CO
On my 4th ride I experienced some of these power issues: Wouldn't start at beginning of the ride; motor quit halfway through ride. For me anyway, it looks like the problem was a pretty simple connector problem. The connector has 2 alignment pins on one side, and 1 on the other. Kind of a poor design, because this makes them really small. One big pin would be all it would take. Anyway, one of the little pins got bent, and was preventing good connector engagement. Broke that one out, and now it seems to work fine.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
34A20C08-E4D5-4DB4-890F-4612A5FF6059.jpeg

I don’t think I’ll buy another specialized again .. crazy. After buying a $13k bike … and it not working since day one .. the LBS took it in .. reconnected TCU and said it’s fine .. and no errors to report - I have uploaded multiple reports .. obviously there’s an issue .. but in top of this specialized didn’t cover it !? .. +$40 .. haha ? so every time the bike stops working im paying for it … I’m done. Specialized should cover the work!!!! I can guarantee this did not fix the issue. I’m just shocked.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
View attachment 72442
I don’t think I’ll buy another specialized again .. crazy. After buying a $13k bike … and it not working since day one .. the LBS took it in .. reconnected TCU and said it’s fine .. and no errors to report - I have uploaded multiple reports .. obviously there’s an issue .. but in top of this specialized didn’t cover it !? .. +$40 .. haha ? so every time the bike stops working im paying for it … I’m done. Specialized should cover the work!!!! I can guarantee this did not fix the issue. I’m just shocked.
Wow Vinny, I feel your pain because I'm in the same boat. On my third motor with the first two being replaced under warranty but my bike shop does not do enough business with specialized for them to cover the labor cost on warranty work. $130 twice to put the new motor in for the labor charge alone. I think that's a pretty shitty warranty, Specialized. I was not told this upfront and was led to believe a specialized warranty was the best in the business. Maybe it is but that's a lot of money still and that isn't mentioned upfront.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
Wow Vinny, I feel your pain because I'm in the same boat. On my third motor with the first two being replaced under warranty but my bike shop does not do enough business with specialized for them to cover the labor cost on warranty work. $130 twice to put the new motor in for the labor charge alone. I think that's a pretty shitty warranty, Specialized. I was not told this upfront and was led to believe a specialized warranty was the best in the business. Maybe it is but that's a lot of money still and that isn't mentioned upfront.
Dude, that’s crazy. My buddy is a million sub YouTuber and he’s about to post a video of our last ride .. long story short .. my ebike stalls multiple times with errors lol.. #GAMEON

Sheer Thrill

Mar 28, 2021
USA
If the place you guys service your bikes is a Authorized Specialized Dealer and they bill your for the warranty claim; they are screwing you. Fight that back!

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
So my bike shop replaced the power cable under warranty which fixed my problem of the battery turning off repeatedly while riding on bumpy terrain. The hack that I had used of taping a half inch plastic tube about 1 inch in length tightly over the middle portion of the old defective loose charge-port door was foolproof until the replacement power cord with door arrived at my bike shop after only a few days of waiting. Positioning of that plastic tube was critical however. If positioned right in the middle of the door it worked 100% of the time. If the tube was moved to the edge of the door where it closes against the frame it did not work. The pressure has to be directly over the center of that door hatch to work reliably. Just in case somebody else experiences this.
I have always been very gentle with that hatch door so I'm not sure why this happened to me but I will say that our trails are extremely rugged with constant roots and rocks and perhaps the constant vibration caused premature wear of the seal on the door. I also considered whether the door was losing its magnetism and popping off and on repeatedly because more debris was accumulating inside than I have ever encountered in the past. Water ingress causing problems is not an issue as I never wash this bike. To preserve the grease in my bearings and avoid contamination I always let the mud dry and then brush it off gently the next day. Hope this helps someone.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
So my bike shop replaced the power cable under warranty which fixed my problem of the battery turning off repeatedly while riding on bumpy terrain. The hack that I had used of taping a half inch plastic tube about 1 inch in length tightly over the middle portion of the old defective loose charge-port door was foolproof until the replacement power cord with door arrived at my bike shop after only a few days of waiting. Positioning of that plastic tube was critical however. If positioned right in the middle of the door it worked 100% of the time. If the tube was moved to the edge of the door where it closes against the frame it did not work. The pressure has to be directly over the center of that door hatch to work reliably. Just in case somebody else experiences this.
I have always been very gentle with that hatch door so I'm not sure why this happened to me but I will say that our trails are extremely rugged with constant roots and rocks and perhaps the constant vibration caused premature wear of the seal on the door. I also considered whether the door was losing its magnetism and popping off and on repeatedly because more debris was accumulating inside than I have ever encountered in the past. Water ingress causing problems is not an issue as I never wash this bike. To preserve the grease in my bearings and avoid contamination I always let the mud dry and then brush it off gently the next day. Hope this helps someone.
How did you get your bike shop to replace the cable ? My bike does the same stuff then stopped working. Then they fixed it.. but I went to Summit bike park today and it’s doing the same stuff.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I was told they simply installed a new power cable and did the most recent firmware update and it has performed flawlessly for 2 long mountain bike rides on last Sunday and Friday this week since that work, last Sun and yesterday. Not sure what else to tell you.

stumpydumpy

Dec 15, 2020
Europe
I SHOULD HAVE READ THIS EARLIER ! ! !
Perhaps this is an old thread already, But regretably the problem is still alive.

My S Works Turbo Levo, may 2023, is my third Levo, so you might say I was a believer.
I encountered the exact same problem as you guys here. Frequently the motor turns off by itself.

On paved roads the Levo went fine. Only thing is, .... I do not like paved roads.
In hinsight I remember that on slight hilly trails with some small roots the Levo went out a few times already. At that moment I took no notice of that.
In the Alps, thats a long day travel from where I live, on natural trails and bikeparks after a few minutes already the battery-suply went down. Rocky sections, roots, jumps? It wouldn't hold.
It simply switches off time after time, sometimes within seconds.
Mostly without any message in the display, sometimes displaying there is no battery installed; both not stored in memory. Strange is also that the problem doesn't apear in the diagnose-app.
At first my lbs contacted Specialized. They knew the problem and came up with the renewal of the battery-door. The new one should push the connector a bit more at its place. I believed them.

To get rid of my sour feelings I went back to the Alps once again. And perhaps you suspected so already? At the first little rocks, even before the jumps, the bike let me down again. Pushing at the batterydoor once or twice helped most of the times, but sometimes just not.
For testing I went downhill on a hefty rooty enduro-trail on which strange enough it stayed alive and I was happy already; To soon. Shortly after that it went out again and stayed out the whole ride.

In short:
I have the newest model (gen 3) S Works Levo.
Within 200 miles it began to fail frequently.
And yes, I keep the plug and housin clean.
And no, there is no change to max speed limit.
To me the bike doesn't seem suited for even friendly downhill rides.
As soon as it meets some stones en bumps it signs off.

Specialized at this moment says they don't recognize the problem and they don't know a solution; they are chewing on it.

Solutions?
Specialized thought at first it would be done with just replacing the battery-door. That did'nt work.
I see some of you mentioning replacement of the cable and one of you had the motor replaced. But did that work well?
Like to hear your suggestions.
Also like to hear (or rather not) about your troubles and solutions.
Reading this forum, it is obvious already that the word of Specialized saying that my problem didn't occur to any other Levo seems not valid anymore.

Thanks
and enjoy your Levo as long as it lasts

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles