2022 Rocky Mountain new Altitude Powerplay

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Reply directly from from the manufacturer (some typos edited by me, removed the person details). Bad news I would say on both occasions.

The web site is: www.dyname.ca

The bluetooth is replaced by having all informations directly on the top tube display (=Jumbotron). SQR code will also be showed on the screen for diagnostic trouble shooting.

If demand is high enough; We will create an accessory DC-DC 48 volts to 12 Volts wire that could be connected to the charger port to provide powerful 12 volts output.

Best regards,
xxxx
Propulsion PowerCycle Inc.

I hear you, I just can’t believe it…

No connectivity? No OTA firmware updates? No data export or import/integration ? No possibility for wireless accessories or future wireless innovations of the Jumbotron ?

Yet it’s actually the 2022 model and they claim “Our Powerplay bikes are firmly positioned at the forefront of e-bike innovation.” ……………

It’s actually pretty impressive getting hold of chips for the Jumbotron *without* integrated wireless features these days. It’s not like wireless features are a cost worth mentioning anymore, and the power management is extremely far evolved if that has been an issue.

I sold my non-upgradable 10 year old rowing machine with no possible connectivity just this summer despite having a big touch screen, because it was stuck in the past, too quickly considered ancient and “dumb” in the fast moving iot revolution and too limited in hardware design, for just that reason.

I hope RM have just not perfected the wireless connectivity and app yet, and will provide a firmware update (via USB and a computer ….), as well as updated user manuals, in the future.

I’m all for RM going against the trend and focusing on “tuning out” electronics, notifications and social media when out on their bikes in nature, and just basics in general, but it *is* still an electric and electronic bike anyway, and it would be extremely silly not to have a (hidden) possibility for wireless connectivity and perhaps a companion app in 2022 and their typical 5 year system life cycle.

EDIT: Wireless connectivity is also a way to add some sort of two-factor theft protection (or app lock in) to these expensive bikes.

Nobody would believe I am actually speechless by this design decision, but utterly bewildered and amazed is not a lie, as one of the reasons I preordered the 2022 model is because I absolutely hate the half-assed implementation of the Mahle control system and the stagnant bug-ridden Ebikemotion app of the Powerplays up until 2021 ………

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I sold my non-upgradable 10 year old rowing machine with no possible connectivity just this summer despite having a big touch screen, because it was stuck in the past, too quickly considered ancient and “dumb” in the fast moving iot revolution and too limited in hardware design, for just that reason.
If you'd connected it upto a flux capacitor and rowed a bit faster (88mph) you could have taken it to the future ?

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa

No connectivity? No OTA firmware updates? No data export or import/integration ? No possibility for wireless accessories or future wireless innovations of the Jumbotron ?

Yet it’s actually the 2022 model and they claim “Our Powerplay bikes are firmly positioned at the forefront of e-bike innovation.” ……………

It’s actually pretty impressive getting hold of chips for the Jumbotron *without* integrated wireless features these days. It’s not like wireless features are a cost worth mentioning anymore, and the power management is extremely far evolved if that has been an issue.

I hope RM have just not perfected the wireless connectivity and app yet, and will provide a firmware update (via USB and a computer ….), as well as updated user manuals, in the future.

I’m all for RM going against the trend and focusing on “tuning out” electronics, notifications and social media when out on their bikes in nature, and just basics in general, but it *is* still an electric and electronic bike anyway, and it would be extremely silly not to have a (hidden) possibility for wireless connectivity and perhaps a companion app in 2022 and their typical 5 year system life cycle.

EDIT: Wireless connectivity is also a way to add some sort of two-factor theft protection (or app lock in) to these expensive bikes.

Nobody would believe I am actually speechless by this design decision, but utterly bewildered and amazed is not a lie, as one of the reasons I preordered the 2022 model is because I absolutely hate the half-assed implementation of the Mahle control system and the stagnant bug-ridden Ebikemotion app of the Powerplays up until 2021 ………

This is a very interesting perspective that I would not have considered really but I think it is extremely valid. I was looking at this bike really considering one. Called a couple few shops up in canada and they told me they are already presold at least for the large carbon models so I dont think I could get my hands on one anyway. Here in the US I was told they are solid year or more off and they arent even taking deposits.

I am really just dying to see a hill climb of one of these vs a Bosch or Brose.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The difference’s between the motors in the real world is more about how the software puts the powers of the motor down rather than the outright power.

this is why Bosch’s EMTB mode is so good because it does a great on of measuring out the power delivery in relation to the riders inputs.

Jerma

Mar 29, 2021
Finland

A bit of positive news in the horizon (taken from an email discussion I am having with them):

Bluetooth and ANT + connection is not available right now. Yes there is a plan to integrate those features in futur.

The above is not anymore a rumour, but a reply from the Dyname system manufacturer. Seems the HW is there, it just isn't in the current firmware version taken into use...

Jerma.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
A bit of positive news in the horizon (taken from an email discussion I am having with them):

Bluetooth and ANT + connection is not available right now. Yes there is a plan to integrate those features in futur.

The above is not anymore a rumour, but a reply from the Dyname system manufacturer. Seems the HW is there, it just isn't in the current firmware version taken into use...

Jerma.

Thank you. That’s what I would think. It would be crazy if the system was intentionally designed and hampered without those features. I hope it’s more correct to call it a delay then («a well hidden delay» considering there’s no reference to Bluetooth, OTA firmware updates or companion apps on Jumbotron, any user handboks or anywhere….)

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
Hello,

I cant' wait for tests and reviews.
I'm very interested about the reason, that led RM to go from full 27,5 to full 29er for the 'altitude'.
No mullet ? And if it was 'better' than mullet ?
And therefore : why, or how ?

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Response from RM about frame weights -

"So engineering came back with a value of roughly 3 pounds difference between alloy and carbon frames."

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
For my next ebike I am considering a C70/C90 vs an updated specialized FF Kenevo. In the US, I imagine this new RM is a minimum year out, I called a couple dealers and they told me to go kick rocks. And of course the new Kenevo is not yet even announced. Its hard to say which is the better motor system, we need to get some unbiased reviews on this RM system. I actually think most all enthusiast mountain bikers are gonna be switching to ebikes within a couple years and as soon as they become available so these supply issues are going to be around for a while

Suiso

Oct 11, 2021
Castellon
Aquí puedes ver los nuevos modelos de Kenevo. Como ves, absolutamente nada ha cambiado, salvo los colores y sí, el precio ...

paucosta

Jun 18, 2019
Barcelona
For all those who are considering buying a RM maybe can find helpful my experience. I own a RM Powerplay 2019. A couple of months ago the bike didn't switch on, so I did a couple of checks and remote controler was working and batery look fine. So I went to my LBS and did a couple of more testing and he didn't spot the issue so he contacted the Spainsh dealer. After 7 weeks my LBS contacted me that the issue is not spoted but a new motor will work, the bike was sent to France because customer service in spain doesn't exist and the dealer does nothing to take care of the owners. So, motor replacement need despite they didn't spot the problem in the motor, more than 1k€ and at least 2 month without bike. I can not belive a suposed "premium" bike brand offering that customer service. Other than the money what is pissing me off is that nobody knows what happened with my motor, no clue what was wrong and how to about to avoid tohappen again...
The motor had 4200km and max power was set at 80%.
Maybe the customer service in other countries is better but at least here in EU(Spain and France) is horrible.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Im almost hands on a 2022 instinct, how much different is it from a say a trek rail 9.8 as far as maintance? bevcaue the rail has been through hell and back and its running like a top(aside from user error)

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Im almost hands on a 2022 instinct, how much different is it from a say a trek rail 9.8 as far as maintance? bevcaue the rail has been through hell and back and its running like a top(aside from user error)
dude how are getting a RM 2022 powerplay so soon in us? dealers i call west coast told me to check back few months

if u get it post up a comparison with bosch

Suiso

Oct 11, 2021
Castellon
Hello ... does anyone know when the first altitude powerplay c70 will begin to ship? I also wanted to comment that I have a bit of disappointment, since I expected them to be somewhat lighter and no model weighs 23kg

surlyrides

Jun 10, 2021
boulder, co
I have a 2022 rm altitude powerplay arriving this month. My dealer is pedal Pushers in golden, CO. Speak to Eric the owner - maybe they have more coming but they just had one size medium C70. Bike is due into their shop next week and then a week to get it into their build queue. I should be riding it by beginning of Feb and will post after a few rides. I have a fezzari wire peak (3 yrs old now) and a carbon diy build (2 years old) so I've got plenty of experience with shimano system. Excited to try the new v4 powerplay

surlyrides

Jun 10, 2021
boulder, co
Well it turns out the bike shop was just being lazy about staying in touch with Rocky mtn. I called Rocky and they said they would get the c70 into Utah by the end of February. So looking more like March now.. M

I have a 2022 rm altitude powerplay arriving this month. My dealer is pedal Pushers in golden, CO. Speak to Eric the owner - maybe they have more coming but they just had one size medium C70. Bike is due into their shop next week and then a week to get it into their build queue. I should be riding it by beginning of Feb and will post after a few rides. I have a fezzari wire peak (3 yrs old now) and a carbon diy build (2 years old) so I've got plenty of experience with shimano system. Excited to try the new v4 powerplay

cody311

Jan 5, 2022
Colorado
Well it turns out the bike shop was just being lazy about staying in touch with Rocky mtn. I called Rocky and they said they would get the c70 into Utah by the end of February. So looking more like March now.. M

I also went into Pedal Pushers and rode the 2021 Instinct XL they had on the floor, loved the motor feedback and haptics on the controller. They did say a couple bikes coming in around the April/May timeframe but nothing in Large and Aluminum. Sales manager called me back and said to check down in Salida, but yeah, still Late April early May. To be honest, with the weather we are having, probably a better time-frame to ride. Only things rideable seem to be down in the Springs area right now. I've got a lead on an A30 and put a reserve payment on it, hopefully it makes it here by May, only trim I could find in Large while sticking to Aluminum. Not a fan of the group-set and shock on the A30 but the new Rockshox Domain can accept the 2.1 cartridges from the Zeb Ultimate, so I may stick it out with that fork for a bit. I have a Fox 36 I may switch out after a bit and see how different it is. I am sure it won't be as stiff as the 38mm stanchions on the Domain.

Going to piece together a wheelset in the downtime and order a few other replacement parts. Good thing going right now is that people are looking for parts, so selling off some of these components will not be that difficult to offset costs. Pretty much going to build it to an A70 spec but Magura's and carbon wheelset.

surlyrides

Jun 10, 2021
boulder, co
I also went into Pedal Pushers and rode the 2021 Instinct XL they had on the floor, loved the motor feedback and haptics on the controller. They did say a couple bikes coming in around the April/May timeframe but nothing in Large and Aluminum. Sales manager called me back and said to check down in Salida, but yeah, still Late April early May. To be honest, with the weather we are having, probably a better time-frame to ride. Only things rideable seem to be down in the Springs area right now. I've got a lead on an A30 and put a reserve payment on it, hopefully it makes it here by May, only trim I could find in Large while sticking to Aluminum. Not a fan of the group-set and shock on the A30 but the new Rockshox Domain can accept the 2.1 cartridges from the Zeb Ultimate, so I may stick it out with that fork for a bit. I have a Fox 36 I may switch out after a bit and see how different it is. I am sure it won't be as stiff as the 38mm stanchions on the Domain.

Going to piece together a wheelset in the downtime and order a few other replacement parts. Good thing going right now is that people are looking for parts, so selling off some of these components will not be that difficult to offset costs. Pretty much going to build it to an A70 spec but Magura's and carbon wheelset.

Nice man! I think we'll be psyched and yeah, no rush to get the bike now...

Hit me up if you want carbon wheels - I have several sets of 29r. [email protected]

I have two pre built sets - only thing is they are sram and not microspline

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa

why dont u want a carbon one?

cody311

Jan 5, 2022
Colorado
why dont u want a carbon one?

I just think the markup in price isn't worth it for me. I would rather put money into other components. Although the weight difference in an analog bike would be obvious, it's not as critical, in my opinion, on an ebike. I enjoyed the carbon demo and loaners I have ridden but outside of the weight, there wasn't a stark difference in the chassis feel for me. This was a Specialized enduro in carbon compared to the aluminum version, same year production but different group sets and suspension. I noticed a much bigger difference in a carbon wheelset over aluminum and the better shifting from the X01 groupset over the SLX. Both bikes were great, just didn't bridge the gap for the cost.

Jerma

Mar 29, 2021
Finland
well well... first impressions of the new Altitude :love:

I come from a long history of Trek bikes, lastly on a Rail 7, so comparison of the motor is against the 4th gen Bosch (not the new Smart) that is still in use on them lower models.

PLUS
- Motor is really quiet, just noticeable on medium or low support levels. Builds up just a bit on higher modes.
- Power output is consistent and calm. It does not kick like a ram, more like a rubber band. And when needed, there is plenty of it.
- Rider input to power has no lag, it is instant.
- Motor is really well protected, and the bottom bracket is separate. I expect a very long life for this motor.

MINUS
- The controller on the handlebar would need a bit more "click". With thick glowes, you don't always feel it and need to check the Jumbotron what mode did you end up on.
- Torque sensor may need calibration (had to do this once yesterday).

I have the size L (had the same on the Rail). The bike feels more compact, and personally being 180cm, I like it.

Will need more time on it to be able to say more...

-Jerma-

2022_Altitude_PP.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles