Levo SL Gen 1 2022 Levo SL

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I do not want more power from my SL. And the Rise is heavier part for part.

What's the harm in having more power reserve? Obviously one can ride it with less power if they want.The Rise and SL are also in practice equal weight depending on size and model. Plus or minus hundred grams is irrelevant with emtbs.

Here's a great comparison video of both.

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
Check out the Orbea Rise threads in this very forum. Owners are riding easily 2-4 hour rides. I personally have riden max 2 hour rides with mostly trail/50Nm setting and still had 1/3 battery left. Range extended is also available for the Rise similar to SL.
but the range extender of orbea rise does only charge the main batterie, you can not ride the orbea rise if the main batterie is slightly empty. check the manuel under battery/extender!!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Rise motor 60 N*M; rpm 75-90 (let's use 80); equals about 500 W. If the motor is 90% efficient (generous) the battery has to provide 555 W. The 360 W*H battery will be drained in about 40 minutes yet Orbea claims 2 hours at that level. Someone is breaking the laws of physics, my guess is it's their marketing department. ;)

Only complete goofballs run their eMTBs in full boost all the time. 2-3 hours is pretty normal battery life for my Rise on a mix of eco and trail, mostly trail lately.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I do not want more power from my SL. And the Rise is heavier part for part. If a new SL comes out and is heavier due to motor and battery I’d be gutted.
The only way more power can be put through the SL motor as it stands right now is to put in a steel cog…. And nobody (unless deaf) wants that.

Not sure I'm following. My Rise is lighter than any SL as far as I know. I'm in just under 40 lbs with pedals in current trim.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Not sure I'm following. My Rise is lighter than any SL as far as I know. I'm in just under 40 lbs with pedals in current trim.

Do you ever feel your Rise may not be beefy enough being so light? I only ask as a buddy mentioned he rode one recently and felt it wasn't burly enough for him and didn't feel like he could push it as hard. Just relaying what I was told so it would interessting to here your perspective.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Do you ever feel your Rise may not be beefy enough being so light? I only ask as a buddy mentioned he rode one recently and felt it wasn't burly enough for him and didn't feel like he could push it as hard. Just relaying what I was told so it would interessting to here your perspective.

Interesting question. Overall it feels quite similar to my Shuttle (which was about 8-9 pounds heavier) and my Hightower (which is about 11 pounds lighter), but I'm fairly meticulous about bike setup and I had all three equipped and tuned similarly (almost identically). So the short answer is that it feels plenty burly - I can bomb down our local enduro-style segments almost as fast on it as I can on my Hightower.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Marketing meeting at company "O":

Manager: "Everyone, we need a new lightweight MTB but being a small company we don't have the money for developing a new motor. Ideas?"

Mr Marketing Genius: " We use a smaller battery, take an existing 85 NM motor, detune it to 60 NM to get acceptable runtime, and put it in a slightly modified frame from one of our other bikes."

Manager: "Detuning sounds expensive."

Mr Marketing Genius: "Nahh, it's almost the same software as the next ride level down from Max."

Manager: "No one will buy into that BS!"

Mr Marketing Genius: "Trust me, there are enough gullible people out there to make some bucks off of this. We'll even put a 'RS' sticker on the motor to make it look new, stands for 'Ride Synergy' whatever that means. (group laughter) To help it along we buy a few columnists and influencers to 'test' the bike against one with 35 NM and write that it is the greatest bike yet. We can't lose! "

Manager: "Harumph!"

Everyone else: "Harumph! Harumph!"

David666

Aug 26, 2021
France
I would like to make a up on this post as I am looking for information regarding potential release date for 2022 Levo SL new colors.
I also understood that Specialized has kept nice suprises but this still under embargo (perhaps this is relative to Levo SL). Thanks.

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Levo sl is pure quaility and keeps u fit. Rise is a beautiful bike until it works. When shimano starts clicking by peding orbea say ciao ciao its normal....so levo sl in every way.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
As far as you know... Indeed ;)

My SL Comp carbon M, stock tubeless and pedals is 39 LBS
Anyway weight-weenie discussions in ebike world should not take place.

LOL. I could easily make mine lighter - it would suck to ride it though!

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
LOL. I could easily make mine lighter - it would suck to ride it though!

Apparently you still did not get the point...

I wanted to demonstrate, first that you was wrong about your Rise being lighter than any SL (this is rather the opposite at equivalent build), and second (most importantly) how absurd it is to argue about which EMTB is lighter when the difference is sub 1kg.

I'm sure you made the right choice (for you) going for Orbea rather than Spe, and I'm convinced you can build a sub 35lbs kit. ;)

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Apparently you still did not get the point...

I wanted to demonstrate, first that you was wrong about your Rise being lighter than any SL (this is rather the opposite at equivalent build), and second (most importantly) how absurd it is to argue about which EMTB is lighter when the difference is sub 1kg.

I'm sure you made the right choice (for you) going for Orbea rather than Spe, and I'm convinced you can build a sub 35lbs kit. ;)

...and as you suggest, building a 35 lb eMTB doesn't help if the bike is sitting broken in two pieces with cracked wheels. Ha ha.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Levo Gen 3 geometry and power upped a tad is what I heard from someone at specilized.

They wouldn’t answer me directly but when I said to them if you made a stumpy EVO with the SL motor with the power upped a bit you would have the perfect EMTB for riding they replied that I would like what’s coming.

Also current supply chain issues etc are delaying new bike releases so whilst I believe the new SL has been signed off for production it might not be here as soon as we might like.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On a personal level I am not interested in a weight weenie EMTB.

I think 18-19kg is the sweet spot because you can still cut shapes easy enough but you have a bit of heft than IMO makes the suspension work better and the bike hold a line.

It’s why I think the Kenevo SL is actually a better bike than the Enduro as the extra weigh makes it super stable, but it’s still light enough to feel nimble.

Actual power output if these things is pretty irrelevant, as long as it has enough to keep me riding for as long as I want - happy days.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Levo Gen 3 geometry and power upped a tad is what I heard from someone at specilized.
I can see the first part being possible, or even likely, but the second? Surely if they were going to do that they would have debuted it on the KSL.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can see the first part being possible, or even likely, but the second? Surely if they were going to do that they would have debuted it on the KSL.
Guess it depends when they started work on the KSL and what they'd decided to run with.

I think one problem with upping the power is the present range extenders. So it might be they've re-worked that in some way ?

Or they didn't want to stop SL sales with a boosted KSL. Where as this way round they can sell KSL owners a KSL+ down the line :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Or it could simply be a software update? Who knows but If they do bump up the power I would t expect it to be by much

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
One thing I always found curious about the Mahle motor in the SL is that Orbea where historically the brand who Mahle did a lot of development with and with whom the ebike motion systems where developed - I wonder if specilized came in with big bucks to secure the motor when Orbea had already started developing the Rise concept.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
@R120 do you suspect the new SL will be a mullet? or just S sizing and a bit slacker?
I've just sold my Heckler, the choice for me now is either the 2022 Levo expert S4, or the Levo SL in XL.
My son has the level SL in Large, which is such a good bike, but a tad too short for me, hence upsizing the the XL.
Should I hold fire until the new SL is released.....? patience is not a strong point of mine :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Tbh I have no idea beyond a brief conversation I had out with some Specialized test riders I bumped into out riding, who told me what I mentioned above.

Mar 26, 2019
Anchorage
Rear fender for the SL

I haven’t found any rear fenders I like for my Levo SL so I decided to make one. Below is prototype 1 and what the rough print looks like on the bike. Final version will be color coordinated, but for now I’m just using scrap printer filament around the shop. Any recommendations?
image001.png

65498060333__5769C84A-7794-4498-951F-A3AA5F531338.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles