Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
My 38 creaked after one lap at downieville.

Flip the bike over, remove the front wheel, and scissor the lowers hard (push one side fore and the other aft). If it’s the stanchions creaking you should hear it. Take a video and send to Fox politely requesting a new CSU.

Creaky steerer is harder to replicate off the bike for warranty. Good luck!
Turns out it was the lower headset bearing cup making the noise. Not sure why all of a sudden this is an issue but it does have quite a lot of play when inserted into the frame….rattles a good 1-2mm in the headtube. The outer 45 chamfer has been polished from rubbing on the carbon which is also quite polished too so when they are grabbing each other then letting go there are the cracking sounds.
Fresh grease seems to only last a couple of rides before the noise returns.
Happy it isn’t the fork but now I’m worried about the frame lol.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Turns out it was the lower headset bearing cup making the noise. Not sure why all of a sudden this is an issue but it does have quite a lot of play when inserted into the frame….rattles a good 1-2mm in the headtube. The outer 45 chamfer has been polished from rubbing on the carbon which is also quite polished too so when they are grabbing each other then letting go there are the cracking sounds.
Fresh grease seems to only last a couple of rides before the noise returns.
Happy it isn’t the fork but now I’m worried about the frame lol.

Specialized doesn’t seem to do headtubes / headsets very well. My Enduros all had issues with the upper bearing / carbon interface creaking. Was hopeful those cups on the KSL would be an improvement (!).

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Get a Cane creek 40 crown race and all your problems will be solved.
I have a Cane Creek Hellbender bottom bearing and crown in there but it's the cup that sits over the bearing that's the issue. I'll have a chat to Specialized about the headtube tolerance and go from there.

• Helpful
Reactions: CjP

Seagrave7

Mar 22, 2021
Los Angeles
2980C276-9D16-4CB4-A89D-9EC07CBB8AB6.jpeg

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
My suspension guru (Ryan at Fluid Focus ) was going over my x2 today as it seems to have been slowly leaking air. He found a few things :

Rear pivot bolt had loosened (yes, it was torqued correctly when I last checked) Which caused a seal to deteriorate leading to the leak.

Unrelated apparently the rebound circuit is doing nothing. And the LSR adjustment doesn’t do anything. That will be investigated and hopefully corrected on Monday.

Moral of the story: for those underwhelmed with the stock performance x2, might not be functioning correctly. I will report back when I have time on the fixed setup

I just sent a Float X2 Factory to Fluid Focus to be tuned for this bike and my weight and riding style. Hopefully it will be a significant improvement over the X2 Performance with its limited tune ability. The stock Performance level X2 is ok but limited in how good you can make it work.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I think this has been discussed before, but not sure. I’m replacing the shock on my Expert build with a custom tuned Float X2. The manual says the lower shock bolt torque is 220 Nm, and the upper shock bolt is 200 Nm. This can’t be correct. I think you would crack the frame at those numbers and the bolt would break for sure. Does anyone know what the correct torque values should be?

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Riding dirty🤘

91B08753-AFFD-4034-8832-49B26450A3A3.jpeg

Quick Strava (I love / hate Strava) comparison of my 90min daily on the KSL vs. Enduro below.

Couple notes:

-I’m 45 and my max HR is ridiculously low (165) based on weird genetics

-3 laps on KSL vs. 2 laps on Enduro

-HIGHER avg HR on the KSL (+9 BPM)

-KSL feels 90% the SAME as the Enduro with the differences (IMO) being: very slightly less poppy, noticeably smoother through chunky sections, slightly better cornering.

-Avg. power 279w KSL vs. 179w Enduro. This ride was 100% turbo, and that equates to the KSL actually being 1.6x “me”. Not quite the “2x you” that spesh advertise, but I’m guessing my size (6’4” x 230lbs) waters down the ratio a bit (?).

-Stoked on this bike. Basically my Enduro plus an extra lap or two per ride. That’s HUGE.

KENEVO SL:

D1B39DA9-C67D-42E4-8C22-A931CE4661FB.png
90AE9B7B-992C-4FBE-84F4-3535CB264C21.png

ENDURO:
310F5B1D-9E4A-42A6-BAB9-28C9254F3312.png

DA2ED2FC-37B8-4B7B-B189-F54794A33BAC.png

Last edited:

AlpinaD3

Aug 4, 2020
Ostwestfalen
I think this has been discussed before, but not sure. I’m replacing the shock on my Expert build with a custom tuned Float X2. The manual says the lower shock bolt torque is 220 Nm, and the upper shock bolt is 200 Nm. This can’t be correct. I think you would crack the frame at those numbers and the bolt would break for sure. Does anyone know what the correct torque values should be?

NO ! Upper is 12,7 Nm, lower as in the manual 25 Nm. Member "Chefkoch" had some posts here regarding this. And please check the units Nm vs. in-lbf !

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
NO ! Upper is 12,7 Nm, lower as in the manual 25 Nm. Member "Chefkoch" had some posts here regarding this. And please check the units Nm vs. in-lbf !
1640230507893.jpeg

Thank you for providing the correct torque values.
This is what my manual shows. FF is the top shock mount bolt. Fortunately I’ve done my own bike work for many years so I knew that 200 Nm was way off. Unfortunately, a newer rider may not know and would create some serious damage following this manual. I’ve owned a number of Specialized bikes over the years and the manuals have been very good. This manual is not good.

Michaelhe

Feb 12, 2020
Does anyone run EXT Storia Lok V3(not E-Storia) on the Kenevo SL size S3?

I’d like to know if there is a clearance issue when shock is fully compressed, the Peggy back reservoir looked noticeably longer the Fox X2 comes with the Sworks model.

Any info would be appreciated.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney

I’d like to know if there is a clearance issue when shock is fully compressed, the Peggy back reservoir looked noticeably longer the Fox X2 comes with the Sworks model.

I have in S4. It’s fine.

Michaelhe

Feb 12, 2020

For future reference, no clearance issue when use EXT storia lok v3 on KSL Sworks S3 frame, however it just missed the frame for 1-2mm when at middle stroke.

DE1BC781-199A-4CE7-93FC-A656DF5E52AA.jpeg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Does that mean you are building something else with the triples or just a post christmas diet for this one?
Well I was always waiting for the Ohlins RXF 38 as the primary focus was on weight saving.
As for the triples, I was considering buying an enduro frame and building up a shuttle bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles