2021 will be a Super EMTB year

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
if we all make 1 positive suggestion. Some brand will see better brakes are wanted, or suspension, or tires, etc... We can simply name our Ebike, year, brand, model and 1 thing we feel would make it better for us. The retailers, distributors and manufacturers will know what We appreciate and want. Maybe 1 or 2 things will be general. So please express yourself and be short to make it obvious.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
These are expensive bikes and a potential target for theft, so on any bike that can be paired to a phone or watch, it would be good to have the option of automatically disabling the motor when the device is out of range. GPS tracking is well and good, but I'd rather not have the bike nicked in the first place.

Last edited:

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
These are expensive bikes and a potential target for theft, so on any bike that can be paired to a phone or watch, it would be good to have the option of automatically disabling the motor when the device is out of range
one manufacturer has already fitted tracking inside the carbon frame like you have an expensive cars, can't remember who though think the bike was £10k though

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
1: 9 Speed max, no one needs 12speed eagle road cassetts, we all tripple shift them anyways.

2: Internal gps tracking for theft.

3: gps location baised power profiles (general location auto set to more or less support)

4: 150% WATER PROOF MOTORS! and user serviceable

5: even more support profile tuning

6: 1/3 the range with 1/3 the weight optional batteries for those that ride eco 100% of the time

Thanks
spesh-turbo-levo-expert-01-1536939833060-1urd0xqb93qfh-9d45227.jpg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I would love to see SRAM produce brakes that have decent feel and don't squeal when it even thinks about raining but I am not holding my breath as they are like any Avids from the day they started making disk brakes.
More to the ebike side of things, while I would love to see standard battery configuration standards again I will not hold my breath as they all need their own chipsets and firmware built in to provide the required data streams. I do actually expect to see more different batteries as more motor brands become available.

I do however expect - hell, I DEMAND far better quality bearings and waterproofing.

Don't really care too much about customization from the OEMs as long as they don't lock things down so tight that app developers can not provide solutions.

Would be nice to see more battery capacity options but don't think we will see any movement for 18-24 months when we will see perhaps 900-1K W/h available in the form factor of current 504W/h units.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
Specialized Levo light might finalised 2021
- weight 16-17kg
- engine of Creo Model (Mahle) but some more Newtonmeter
- 2 model in frame integrated battery capacities with different weight to choose (probably fixed)
- range extender as Creo

Rumors indeed :p, but you can really imagine their working on something like that in Cham/Switzerland;)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I miss RED33

Also I would like a mulleted, carbon creo motored/internal hub, battery extended, Demo 8 with rhino lining paint job.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I miss RED33

Also I would like a mulleted, carbon creo motored/internal hub, battery extended, Demo 8 with rhino lining paint job.
I really have to stop reading without my glasses. I read it as ‘rhino lining ____ job.’ with a few variations.

Mulleted Creo hahaha. Your next bike!
Ditch the Derailleur
So yes at least as an option. Then so many will ditch theirs.
A charger with a storage setting, like the Giant charger.
Yes absolutely right! Also a 80% setting.

Having used the RS Reverb AXS dropper post - it’s the best I’ve tried - an extra 2 functions on the remote to wirelessly adjust rear shock modes on the fly would be my request to SRAM.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Mulleted Creo hahaha. Your next bike!

Mulleted creo motor!
Although I do keep eyeing off the nice black carbon creo they have on show at Specialized.
I just want to ride one with full armour/full face and ride along the beach to annoy road riders

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
In response to OP.
  • I wish the Giant Trance E+ Pro 1 had a shorter name.
  • I wish the Giant Trance E+ Pro 1 was sold with a 10 speed, med. cage option (though at the time of purchase, I likely wouldn't have bought that option, more is more right...wrong)
  • I wish the Giant Trance E+ Pro 1 could be bought with a Rohloff or other IGH.
  • I wish the KHS 6555+ would have came as a mullet (it's so much better this way).
  • I wish the KHS 6555+ would have had the shifter cable not routed by an insane person.
  • I wish the KHS 6555+ had real paint on the frame instead of the scratch and sniff coating they used.
Generally in a free for all wish list, I'd like more options in the unrestricted, closed course competition type bikes. Something like the optibike r15c but more affordable. I ride my bike on private property, and use it pretty much like a dirtbike. I want about 4 hp instead of 1 but prefer the peddling over throttle.

Generally I'd like to see more options available in the emtb market with IGH that aren't stupid expensive.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wish the Giant Trance E+ Pro 1 had a shorter name.
Oh god, I'm replying to a 33red thread .. I'm breaking my vows and will probably be consumed alive by a horny buzzard whilst walking the dog later...

Be glad you're not in France .. it's sometimes called the Giant Trance EPlus Pro 1 ... or that they didn't use some of their other naming conventions and call it the "Giant Trance EPlus Pro 1 27.5"

So when you say shorter ? like the "Ant Trance E+ Pro 1" or just maybe give the bike a whole new name .. like the "Giant Rave" or "Giant Techno" ? If they did a hardtail version, if they used their imaginations they could call it the "Giant Stiffy" ??

Have you got a Giant Stiffy ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Although ever increasing in popularity e-mtbs are still both a niche and premium market sector which means the race for market share is all about innovation rather than quality, reliabilty or price. So the only wishes that are likely to materialise are innovative differentiators. Weight and range are probably top of the list which are highly dependant on each brands relationship with motor and battery suppliers. I wonder at what point the relationship between mtb brands and 3rd party component suppliers changes...especially for such integral components as motors.

SCemtb

May 22, 2019
Santa Cruz Ca
Just spied through local rumors that Santa Cruz will be releasing an ebike early 2020 that will use a new Shimano motor system, custom battery and geo that matches the Bronson. I’d expect a release before or at Sea Otter. Santa Cruz will be one of the first manufacturer using new Shimano drive system.
For Boutique Santa Cruz area brands this leaves IBIS without an ebike. Ibis is going to continue to loose dollars not releasing an ebike of their own. Santa Cruz bikes is clearly jumping into game late. Both Trek and Specialized are on 2nd/3rd gen bikes.
I’d expect rapid improvements in bikes over the next 3yrs. Without a standard on motor or form/battery sizing manufacturer will continue to innovate their own designs.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
1: 9 Speed max, no one needs 12speed eagle road cassetts, we all tripple shift them anyways.

2: Internal gps tracking for theft.

3: gps location baised power profiles (general location auto set to more or less support)

4: 150% WATER PROOF MOTORS! and user serviceable

5: even more support profile tuning

6: 1/3 the range with 1/3 the weight optional batteries for those that ride eco 100% of the time

Thanks View attachment 17395
I run Eagle 12 speed AXS on my Expert and also submerged it going through floods in November all water proof and engine/gears working fine. Also nearly 100% Eco set at 15%.

frankenbike

Sep 18, 2019
  1. Lose the mech! An integrated gear box of some sort, preferably co-located with the mid-motor to keep the weight central and not in the rear wheel.
  2. Instant engagement clutches/freewheels (like sprag type) in the motor and rear wheel (some mfrs already doing a good job in this regard).
  3. Smooth, clean components - especially the frame - with room to access with a cloth and no recesses to collect dirt, so it is easy to clean
  4. Lose the spokes - one piece wheels - I'd like to see carbon-fiber wheel structure mated to al rim; the motive in this one is just to not have to clean/maintain/adjust spokes although I admit spoke designs work pretty well.
  5. Legislation to allow ebikes on trails.

frankenbike

Sep 18, 2019
Ummm what? Know what happens to solid wheels in a crosswind?
Not solid - just one-piece - like these biturboRS | bike ahead composites
but it would be cool to have the benefits of this but with an aluminum rim but hey I was just dreaming out loud and I know there are many reasons why this type of design has not been popularized including expense, structural vulnerability, shock absorption etc etc.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
What if they use the high density cells in a 500wh package? Combined with a also high density extender 250wh. Both lightweight and huge range setups depend the situation, you choose. And if a 700w is the same size than a 500w imagine the size of high density 500w, not only you can go light the weight will be sit lower. Three advantages in one.

And double flip chip, one in the shock and the other at wheel end. You can choose the angle and also the chainstay length. Some like the Focus and Ekano got combined with some like the Levo/Spectral/Altitude etc got

No more ”just say no to” with this solutions!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles