Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
I wiggle it a bit with the allen key seems to help. Also bike is always upside down on ground so easier.

If we are talking about the battery bolt, my bike is WAY easier to put the bolt back when it's not upside down. We had to take it out trail side (to switch mine out with another rider who was running way low on battery) and it took about 15 minutes trying to get it to go back in while upside down.

Wheels down, in takes about 2-3 seconds. YMMV.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
If we are talking about the battery bolt, my bike is WAY easier to put the bolt back when it's not upside down. We had to take it out trail side (to switch mine out with another rider who was running way low on battery) and it took about 15 minutes trying to get it to go back in while upside down.

Wheels down, in takes about 2-3 seconds. YMMV.
Once tried it right way up gave up after a few minutes. I have a aluminium bash guard that makes it awkward as well.

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
I may be imagining it, but my bike feels more torquey and the power kicks in quicker after I got it back form the shop last week and they updated the firmware to the latest version. Anyone else notice this? It had been two weeks since I'd ridden the bike so could just be my perception.
Firmware:
Battery 2.4.4
Motor 7.4.1
Display 26.B.0

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I may be imagining it, but my bike feels more torquey and the power kicks in quicker after I got it back form the shop last week and they updated the firmware to the latest version. Anyone else notice this? It had been two weeks since I'd ridden the bike so could just be my perception.
Firmware:
Battery 2.4.4
Motor 7.4.1
Display 26.B.0
Yes I thought mine was more piffy for a couple of rides after I updated last week. A ride in the snow today was completely opposite less power.

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
I have Magura MT7's on my YT Decoy Elite and run MTX pads (gold in the front/red in the rear). No brake squeal and the work awesome! Front has insane stopping power and awesome modulation on the rear.

BTW, thanks for the recommendation, I wasn't familiar with this company. I just ordered a set of Red MTX pads for my Levo. Based on my weight (145lbs) the folks at MTX said the red pads should be fine and MUCH quieter than the Shimano pads.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
BTW, thanks for the recommendation, I wasn't familiar with this company. I just ordered a set of Red MTX pads for my Levo. Based on my weight (145lbs) the folks at MTX said the red pads should be fine and MUCH quieter than the Shimano pads.
Sure thing! I really like the modulation on the red pads, mate up well with Magura's. Really need to be sure to bed them in properly. Always hear people state that and found these took a little more effort to bed, but once you do look out!

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
Sure thing! I really like the modulation on the red pads, mate up well with Magura's. Really need to be sure to bed them in properly. Always hear people state that and found these took a little more effort to bed, but once you do look out!
I probably would have ordered the Gold pad for the front, but they were out of stock for the 4 piston Shimano brakes. I've never had a bike with Magura brakes, I've heard they are awesome but require a bit more maintenance?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I probably would have ordered the Gold pad for the front, but they were out of stock for the 4 piston Shimano brakes. I've never had a bike with Magura brakes, I've heard they are awesome but require a bit more maintenance?
Running full Magura MT7 set-up on my Spesh Levo S-Works haven't had any issues. Have a few rides on my Shigura set-up on my YT Decoy Elite and braking power is incredible! Almost too good?, don't know if I would use Shigura's on an acoustic bike. If I were to critique the Magura's, would say the stock levers aren't my cup of tea, but they offer 4-5 different options (I'm using Loic levers on my Levo and really like them), you can adjust bite point and the in/out lever position. I've been able to dial them in to get the rear modulation feel I wanted. From what my mechanic tells me, they are a pain in the arse to install initially. Finicky to bleed and the levers are notorious for leaking because the threads are very easy to strip when tightening olive/barb. Magura's require their specific hydraulic brake fluid, the inside diameter of Magura hoses are .010" bigger than Sram and Shimano so its best to use Magura barbs (other riders I've chatted with when contemplating switching to Shigura set-up used Shinano olive/barb and had no issues). Also, Magura rotors are thicker in width so your pretty much locked into using them although I have read some riders have used Hope rotors with Magura calipers. I'm also running 203mm rotors on both emtbs.

russinthecascades

Nov 3, 2020
Spokane, WA
'21 Turbo Levo purchased in November. Does anyone know if the Turbo Levo tracks mileage internally, meaning without the Mission Control app logging the ride? Yesterday I started the ride in MC, then stopped a few times to check mileages. The app didn't capture my ride even though I restarted it each time I checked (each time it was on pause without logging any distance). At the end of the ride (12 -15 miles) I saw the mileage count was still the same as when I began. I've done about 15 rides so far and the app has failed to track on 3 of them. Any thoughts other than user error?

Before buying I demo'd a Trek Rail 7 and it kept a running tally of the miles without an app....

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
'21 Turbo Levo purchased in November. Does anyone know if the Turbo Levo tracks mileage internally, meaning without the Mission Control app logging the ride? Yesterday I started the ride in MC, then stopped a few times to check mileages. The app didn't capture my ride even though I restarted it each time I checked (each time it was on pause without logging any distance). At the end of the ride (12 -15 miles) I saw the mileage count was still the same as when I began. I've done about 15 rides so far and the app has failed to track on 3 of them. Any thoughts other than user error?

Before buying I demo'd a Trek Rail 7 and it kept a running tally of the miles without an app....

Yes it does.

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
21 Levo dead - In case someone else experiences this issue. My wife and I have new 21 Levo Comps on first ride made it about 7 miles when wife’s motor/power died. No lights on TCU. Confirmed charge port cover fully seated still no power, so wife got to ride back with human power only which as a side note meant I could keep up with her...Tried charging dead bike still nothing, installed working battery from another Levo but still dead with no lights on TCU. In the end went to LBS and after a couple days in consultation with Spec they replaced a “wire” in motor and fixed a “known software glitch” that I was told is affecting some 21 Levos upon their first use. I asked for more details on wire that was replaced as well as sofware issue but did not get the details. Per LBS, issue with software was not something that could be fixed by consumer. Since repair we have had 2 outings for about 20 miles with no issues. So if your new bike dies on first use you too may be off to the LBS.

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
N.w. oregon we have been having weekly storms causing blow down. I have a electric chain saw with a 12” bar that fits nicely in a backpack.
After clearing the trail the wife and i went for a ride for an hour. She rides a traditional bicycle. Yesterday She asked why i didnt just buy a light weight mtb instead of the heavy ebike. lately i have used the turbo mostly as assistance for hills or when getting winded, but still keep pace. I used 4% of the battery in that time. There are so many different reasons we may choose to purchase an ebike, mine is the sense of security in riding farther and more often than if i am limited to my own power.

669DA49E-2F7A-4C75-81B8-16DF99AA6311.jpeg

59252089-812C-4527-A22E-5A5963968A58.jpeg

93029395-CB21-4747-BA4B-8B2441CC8351.jpeg

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
N.w. oregon we have been having weekly storms causing blow down. I have a electric chain saw with a 12” bar that fits nicely in a backpack.
After clearing the trail the wife and i went for a ride for an hour. She rides a traditional bicycle. Yesterday She asked why i didnt just buy a light weight mtb instead of the heavy ebike. lately i have used the turbo mostly as assistance for hills or when getting winded, but still keep pace. I used 4% of the battery in that time. There are so many different reasons we may choose to purchase an ebike, mine is the sense of security in riding farther and more often than if i am limited to my own power.

View attachment 50218

View attachment 50219

View attachment 50220

I wanna know more about that chainsaw please

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
Got it at Home depot. Stihl has a electric chainsaw too, which i would expect is a superior product, that said, i have no complaints with the dewalt. Cleared 4 trees off the trail 14”s or smaller and never changed the battery.

image.jpg

Vootman

Jan 18, 2021
South Lake Tahoe, CA
I noticed my wife’s new 2021 Turbo Levo Comp makes the usual free hub noise, not Chris King loud but noticeable...while mine (same model) is virtually silent.

The hubs should be the same right? So could it be that mine has more grease or something? I’ll check in with LBS about this but had to ask.

Thanks.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yep,2013. Its my poseur bike. Doesn't get ridden nearly as often as the levo. I think i rode it twice this last year. I ride the levo 5-6 nights a week, there is a great trail system right by my home.
Never seen a bare one . I had one red with white stripe on tank beautiful. Never used it enough sold it then two years later bought the scrambler model and customised it did 250 miles last year I had it sold it last year . Do a lot more miles on Ebike .

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
I noticed my wife’s new 2021 Turbo Levo Comp makes the usual free hub noise, not Chris King loud but noticeable...while mine (same model) is virtually silent.

The hubs should be the same right? So could it be that mine has more grease or something? I’ll check in with LBS about this but had to ask.

Thanks.
The only time i notice the hub/motor sound is low speeds. I dont have anything to compare the sound to, so i cant comment beyond that. I have noticed that it seems awfully sensitive to lubrication, apart from the motor being used or not, riding through sand, mud and such creates significant drivetrain noise quickly. If cleaned and lubed, its so satisfyingly silent!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The only time i notice the hub/motor sound is low speeds. I dont have anything to compare the sound to, so i cant comment beyond that. I have noticed that it seems awfully sensitive to lubrication, apart from the motor being used or not, riding through sand, mud and such creates significant drivetrain noise quickly. If cleaned and lubed, its so satisfyingly silent!
Agree there very noisy in muddy conditions I stopped and put bike upside down last week at Findlater Castle i thought I had caught something with all the noise . Soon as I went on farm track all ok. Thinking of carrying a cloot in rucksack.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California

We had the same exact situation with a pair of his-and-hers 2021 Turbo Levo Comps we picked up last month. All it took was some riding (4-5 rides) for the quieter freehub to sound the same as the noisier one. I was almost going to try lubing the noisier one, but I'm glad we just let it be for awhile to see whatever normal state manifest. I say don't worry about it and just ride it, and see what the situation is a month from now. I don't think I've ever had a Shimano component (hubs included) come from the factory any way other than well-sorted.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles