Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Would someone be so nice and post (or send it to me on PM) a closeup photo of chainring area on 2021 Expert or S-works? Thanks!

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
a9985483-1381-4df6-a46e-57f9f8dce311-jpeg.39707

Looks like Pikachu got into S&M.
Jesús christ you sick bastard ????????

rriveroll

Nov 19, 2020
Caracas Venezuela
Hi, my new 2021 Levo Comp came with version 6.1.0 Motor Firmware, when the current one is 7.3.6. Seems like a very old version for a new bike. Guess I'm gonna have to take it to a dealer. Anyone else had this problem?

HopperMtb

Oct 29, 2020
Bay Area CA
Hi, my new 2021 Levo Comp came with version 6.1.0 Motor Firmware, when the current one is 7.3.6. Seems like a very old version for a new bike. Guess I'm gonna have to take it to a dealer. Anyone else had this problem?

Same exact thing here. Soon as I got it home and connected to the mission control app I was a bit bummed to see the bike not fully updated.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
Levo Comp here too. Got it last week and reading this topic I just checked via MC and my installed firmware is 7.3.6...
According to what I read about the model year of the motor: mine was made 2020-03-09.

Jun 20, 2020
Belgium Flanders
My MTB is back to the bicycle dealer.
Didn't want to start up and the engine makes a high frequency noise.
Probably battery and motor broken down.
Turbo levo comp 2021.
According to the mission control app it had a motor from 2019.

rriveroll

Nov 19, 2020
Caracas Venezuela
Ic
thanks for the reply
I felt that the SLX group set on the bike did it no justice at all. When I rode it the set felt ultra sluggish and a bit weak for an ebike.
Shifting was clunky at best, even after tuning it at the LBS and at home. Purchasing a new set and going through the aches of selling the rest did not outweigh the upgrade to the expert. The expert has amazing brakes and groupset, not to mention the jump in forks. It's just much better bang for buck knowing I would not have been happy with the SLX.

I cant disagree more. For 2021 the Comp components have been greatly upgraded (new price reflects that). I rode my new Comp today for the first time down to 18 percent battery and more than 4000 ft vertical in each direction

The SLX Stuff is awesome. The Brakes are better than my 2-pot XTs on my pedal Enduro bike. Last run was about 2000 downhill switchbacks and I did them nonstop to test the brakes. The brakes never faded, contact point never changes a bit. All the SRAM stuff I've used on other Levos (except the RSC) has boiled over in this section. I'm pretty heavy at 100kg and can hold my own, so brakes are usually an issue for me.

Shifting is precise and the update to 12 speed 51 tooth cassette now doesn't tax the motor on really steep uphills. The front 36 Fox Rythm fork is great with those extra 10mm plus those SLX 4-pot brakes make this bike a fast downhill machine. I was considering a Kenevo, overkill unless you plan on going to a bike park with huge jumps. Im now glad I found Levo and in Comp trim. That was not by choice but it was the one I could get my hands on. Plus the Oak Green is an amazing color.

In my opinion, the Comp is now the best value of the Levos, and if I now had to choose between any of the Specialized bikes, I would choose the Comp hands down.

If I had to complain about something, it's the tires, not grippy enough. Will switch out to Magic Mary soon. Oh and the seat is not for my rear end, will change that too.

rriveroll

Nov 19, 2020
Caracas Venezuela
I got the 2021 Turbo Levo Comp in Oak Green Metallic after calling almost every specialized dealer in Spain (I found one that had many of them in stock). Local dealer told me i had to wait until march to get one. So glad I didn't sign up for that. It looks super fresh and is as fun to ride as ever. The 700Wh battery is a must and lasts longer than my fitness in the mountains. Bike is sick no doubt. BUT I used to own a 2019 Expert which I has to sell due to relocation, BUT there are already several things I'm not happy with on the 2021 comp so far. But let's start with what I'm happy about.

Happy with:
1) Battery size (I wouldn't even consider the 500Wh)
2) Fox suspension and upping to the 160mm travel in the front is king
3) The M5 ALU frame is good. I'm not missing the carbon frame.
4) I'm glad the dropper post is not a command post.
5) The color is super fresh.

Not happy with:
1) The hubs have shitty old school cup bearings and I didn't know. This is not something I would even consider checking before buying on a 6000 EUR bike. Further on I had to loosen the bearing preload on the front wheel on mine as it came overtightened (could "feel the bearings" when rotating). Some will probably argue that it's good tech; but I prefer mechanical sealed bearings that I can change out for whatever quality I want and as often as I want.
2) The SLX brake lever is small and can't go far enough to the left on the handlebar due to the turbo Levo control.
3) The center lock discs are not fixed tight - they move back and forth at the hub/disc interface when moving the bike (like to check headset tightness). I thought this was wrong, but they assure me that it should be like this in the store. They came with some bullshit argument about letting the disc move due to heat. I think it's poor tolerances on poor hubs/disc spines (any tips on this issue is taken with open arms)
4) I have some more play than normal in my FOX 36 fork bushings. This is my third 36 on a specialized; and I never had that much play in these previous forks. I think this is just bad luck though. It's probably within "acceptance criteria" but I notice. I know when oil gets in there and I'm riding it should not be affecting performance...but still annoying. I don't think I will bother trying to get this on warranty as the hassle is not worth it really.
5) It's not silent where it should be. Not sure if it's due to all above or something else, but the front actually makes a little rattling noise when riding. It's not a lot but noticeable. May be cable movement or brake pads. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this as i have been to busy riding :)

Upgrades I will likely do at some point (if i don't sell and upgrade model next year).
1) Wheels and brakes
2) Handlebar
3) Service the fork bushings (bad luck)

All in all I still think it's the best e-bike out there, and wouldn't change it for anything else in the market right now.

Hi

My comments on what you dont like plus my own.

1) I am worried too, we will see long term if they hold up.

2) did u know you can fit the control switch INSIDE the SLX Brakes? I too felt the levers were too far away and figured it out.

3) mine seem ok

4) don't know what you mean by bushings. I did see two shims in the carboard box when I put the bike together, are they spacers for the fork hub interphase? Anyway there is no way Im gonna put those in there if thats the case. I remove my wheel daily and cant be bothered to keep track of those shims. I just tightened the bolt and cant feel any play there.

5) Stock Tires have little grip

6) My butt cant handle the seat for longer rides.

Still I think the bike is awesome!!!!

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
The large sworks has the 170mm axs dropper

My seat high is 250mm from seattube and as I dropped Xfusion lowest height, so its like 240mm. So 490mm. But there's axs another 23mm valve sitting on bottom and don't know has size Large still space as I can't find anywhere what is maximum insertion seat tube height on Levo.

rriveroll

Nov 19, 2020
Caracas Venezuela
Day 3 of my new COMP. Started getting loud noise and vibration from the rear brakes. Others have had this problem as well. I think I figured it out, its not the SLX brakes the problem.

The disk was a little loose and It wasn't noticeable to the naked eye. The centerlock nut with the magnet on the rear wheel from Specialized is wider than the stock Shimano nut. I just sanded it down a bit with some sandpaper against a flat surface and now it tightens the brake disk properly. No more noise or vibration

Ohh and broke a spoke at the threads on the rear wheel, make sure you tighten yours as they weren't too tight from the factory.

IMG_20201122_091325.jpg

IMG_20201122_091551.jpg

IMG_20201122_091309.jpg

IMG_20201122_091615.jpg

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Has anybody installed mudguards on their 2021 levo?

I'm looking to do front and rear but need pointers on which one's actually with
I have this on my rear, custom designed for Levo's and Fox sells an OEM for front.

20201011_153226.jpg

20201011_153122.jpg

galenma

Nov 18, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Just got my Levo a week ago. took a 8 miles ride up 3000 ft over the weekend and already hated the stock tires. anyone thinking of replacing the OEM tires with some wider one? I read in another thread that some say can do 2.8 at front and 2.6 in the rear. any thoughts and comment?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Just got my Levo a week ago. took a 8 miles ride up 3000 ft over the weekend and already hated the stock tires. anyone thinking of replacing the OEM tires with some wider one? I read in another thread that some say can do 2.8 at front and 2.6 in the rear. any thoughts and comment?
I HIGHLY recommend Schwalbe Eddy Currents. Difference is night and day. You will be amazed at home much better traction you will get for climbing and will be rewarded on the downhill aspect too! I'm running 2.6's on front and rear and do not feel I would need to go bigger. They are the perfect size for all-round performance. I have Michelin E-Wild's on my YT Decoy and they are VERY aggressive, much more suited for the downhill characteristics. Running 2.6's on front and rear as well. Guess you could run 2.8's on the front, but think you would have a trade off in regard to agility. You also need to keep in mind the inner wheel width when choosing tire size.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I HIGHLY recommend Schwalbe Eddy Currents. Difference is night and day. You will be amazed at home much better traction you will get for climbing and will be rewarded on the downhill aspect too! I'm running 2.6's on front and rear and do not feel I would need to go bigger. They are the perfect size for all-round performance. I have Michelin E-Wild's on my YT Decoy and they are VERY aggressive, much more suited for the downhill characteristics. Running 2.6's on front and rear as well. Guess you could run 2.8's on the front, but think you would have a trade off in regard to agility. You also need to keep in mind the inner wheel width when choosing tire size.
I have completely opposite experience. I was running MM on front and EC on rear for about 2,5kkm, about 500km back I changed rear EC to Michelin E-Wild, now I really see that EC was not a that good tire, especially in little bit of wet/muddy conditions when grip was very very poor, but E-wild just grips ... I think MM on front is still superb so I'm hesitating to put E-wild on front wheel as MM still has plenty of life in it ...

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have completely opposite experience. I was running MM on front and EC on rear for about 2,5kkm, about 500km back I changed rear EC to Michelin E-Wild, now I really see that EC was not a that good tire, especially in little bit of wet/muddy conditions when grip was very very poor, but E-wild just grips ... I think MM on front is still superb so I'm hesitating to put E-wild on front wheel as MM still has plenty of life in it ...
Interesting. I live in Southern California and very rarely experience wet conditions. Next time I get the opportunity, will ride both on my emtbs and compare the EC's to the Mich E-Wild's.

rriveroll

Nov 19, 2020
Caracas Venezuela
Hate them too. What are others using and what size. im considering mulleting mine with a 27.5 x 3.0 in the rear.

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
Back on a levo. This time decided to not start with a base model. Slx stuff feels pretty good, including the brakes. I also appreciate the fox 36. Taking a super deluxe ultimate off my other bike to replace the dps. That’ll be the only change! For now..lol.

4CE987DF-B6DC-43E1-AE7C-8050968C8538.jpeg

rriveroll

Nov 19, 2020
Caracas Venezuela
Back on a levo. This time decided to not start with a base model. Slx stuff feels pretty good, including the brakes. I also appreciate the fox 36. Taking a super deluxe ultimate off my other bike to replace the dps. That’ll be the only change! For now..lol.

View attachment 45579
Make sure the rear disk is tight. Mine wasnt and with the Specialized centerlock magnet nut bottoming out on the shimano hubs it would never be tight unless you sand it down. See my pictutes above

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles