Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
I had not even sat on an EMTB until I picked up this Expert this week, third ride today and loving it.
Matches nice with my Seadoo as well!

Hey man, I exchanged my comp with the same expert carbon you have. To my surprise when I got home I checked the motor serial number and it is a 2019 motor! I'm a bit miffed about it. The Comp I sent back was March 2020 motor and was a lot quieter than my expert model.
What serial number does your motor have?

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
a9985483-1381-4df6-a46e-57f9f8dce311-jpeg.39707

Looks like Pikachu got into S&M.

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
Hey man, I exchanged my comp with the same expert carbon you have. To my surprise when I got home I checked the motor serial number and it is a 2019 motor! I'm a bit miffed about it. The Comp I sent back was March 2020 motor and was a lot quieter than my expert model.

I wonder if they are using the warrantied motors but fixing them up with the 2021 changes.

Slowpoke Rodriguez

Aug 15, 2020
Australia
Mine has December 2019 motor, was a bit disappointed but have had no issues so far.
Why did you send the comp back?

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Mine has December 2019 motor, was a bit disappointed but have had no issues so far.
Why did you send the comp back?
thanks for the reply
I felt that the SLX group set on the bike did it no justice at all. When I rode it the set felt ultra sluggish and a bit weak for an ebike.
Shifting was clunky at best, even after tuning it at the LBS and at home. Purchasing a new set and going through the aches of selling the rest did not outweigh the upgrade to the expert. The expert has amazing brakes and groupset, not to mention the jump in forks. It's just much better bang for buck knowing I would not have been happy with the SLX.

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
Wow, I've had a completely different experience with SLX. It took a couple of return trips to my LBS, but once they got the SLX right, it's incredible. I like it better than my GX setup on my stumpy expert. I'm considering upgrading to expert, but the SRAM drivetrain and brakes is causing me serious pause.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
My LBS has a medium 2021 Turbo Levo Comp in stock. Tempted to pull the trigger on it. Still a little worried about reliability, even with the updated software and belt. I know the 2021s are still really new, but have any riders experienced any motor or battery fails yet?

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
My LBS has a medium 2021 Turbo Levo Comp in stock. Tempted to pull the trigger on it. Still a little worried about reliability, even with the updated software and belt. I know the 2021s are still really new, but have any riders experienced any motor or battery fails yet?
I've had no problems with mine but it's new to me. question...do you also have a decoy? if so, why get the Levo?

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
I've had no problems with mine but it's new to me. question...do you also have a decoy? if so, why get the Levo?
Long story... I ordered an "in-stock" Decoy in early August. After two weeks and emailing back and forth, YT didn't have the bike in-stock. They accidentally placed a warrantied bike into their stock that wasn't available for purchase. My order was cancelled and YT won't be making anymore Decoy Pros this model year. I jumped the gun and updated my signature.

I'm back in the hunt now. My shortlist is the Turbo Levo Comp, Trek Rail 7, Commencal Meta Power Essential, or wait for next year's YT offerings. The rattling and delays related to the EP8 have me less interested in YT and Commencal now.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
Long story... I ordered an "in-stock" Decoy in early August. After two weeks and emailing back and forth, YT didn't have the bike in-stock. They accidentally placed a warrantied bike into their stock that wasn't available for purchase. My order was cancelled and YT won't be making anymore Decoy Pros this model year. I jumped the gun and updated my signature.

I'm back in the hunt now. My shortlist is the Turbo Levo Comp, Trek Rail 7, Commencal Meta Power Essential, or wait for next year's YT offerings. The rattling and delays related to the EP8 have me less interested in YT and Commencal now.
I ask as I just bought a Levo but was thinking about the Decoy in the spring. I've never ridden one.

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA

Though this is by no means scientific but reading the comments in both these videos below (sort by date newest first) it implies the new Brose motors ARE NOT FIXED AND ARE STILL FAILING. To me it appears this may have been a "bandaid" fix unfortuntely which is proabably all they can do without significantly holding up production of the new motors...

Last edited:

KenGPS

Aug 9, 2020
Alaska, USA
Must be old video. Because the warranty is now 4 years, and it does follow the new owner.

Edit: OK, second video states new warranty. Neither of the videos says anything about the new bikes not being fixed.

Last edited:

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA
Must be old video. Because the warranty is now 4 years, and it does follow the new owner.

Edit: OK, second video states new warranty. Neither of the videos says anything about the new bikes not being fixed.

It’s in the comments not the video - you may need to goto YouTube to see the comments. A few folks reporting their new upgraded motors have already failed. See Don Jon comments in first video.

No doubt the new motors are better by doing common sense things like putting a stronger belt in and changing the software to reduce peak load events but like I said if these reports are true they are not “fixed” which technically probably requires a “back to the drawing board” redesign. Major time and major $$ for Specialized and Brose. The easier and cheaper thing to do is probably to up the warranty and just keep replacing motors. I find this a cop out solution but better than nothing and I get why they are doing it.

Last edited:

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa

4 year warranty only applies to 2019 and 2020 bikes. NOT 2021!!

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
I swore the Levo's were off my short list after looking at the price compared to other bikes, and seeing a lot of talk on the internet about the reliability of the motor but....

I walked into a Specialized store to buy my son a RipRock 20 for his birthday, and they had the yellow 2021 Levo and the orange 2021 Levo Comp in there on a display stand and I kinda fell for them. Walked out with the Levo Comp after doing the most expensive impulse purchase of my life. :LOL:

I an now a eeeb rider. Exciting times!

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
I swore the Levo's were off my short list after looking at the price compared to other bikes, and seeing a lot of talk on the internet about the reliability of the motor but....

I walked into a Specialized store to buy my son a RipRock 20 for his birthday, and they had the yellow 2021 Levo and the orange 2021 Levo Comp in there on a display stand and I kinda fell for them. Walked out with the Levo Comp after doing the most expensive impulse purchase of my life. :LOL:

I an now a eeeb rider. Exciting times!
Nice!

But... Did your son get his Riprock?? :LOL:

cb700

Sep 11, 2020
San Rafael, CA, USA
Anyone had any battery issues yet? I’ve had my Levo Comp 2021 for a few weeks and noticed that once or twice when I went to switch it on nothing happened until I plug the charger in for a few minutes. Last night I charged it to 100% but tonight it won’t switch on again. Plug the charger in and get a red flashing light on the charger. Manual says take it to the dealer so I guess that’s what I’ll do. Anyone else seen issues? Thanks
Yes, also about 3 weeks after purchase. LBS is having Specialized replace the battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles