Article 2021 Trans-Savoie announced, with bucket list trail riding for your ebike

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
This just in from the organisers of the Trans-Savoie. And it looks like it could be the perfect trip for some epic Alps riding, especially as its looking pretty ebike friendly.

From the organisers:

Trans-Savoie is back with a brand new event in August 2021: The Fifty/Fifty blends normal bikes and e-bikes, off-the-clock adventures and timed stage racing, into a new 6-day adventure in the French Alps.

You’ve heard it before – “If your name’s not down, you’re not coming in”.

p5pb19876914.jpg

Whilst that may have been the vibe for many of the more popular, bucket-list Trans-Enduro events, things have changed and the COVID-19 pandemic has decimated the events scene around the globe. With numbers in Europe suddenly dropping fast, and borders beginning to open up; the team behind the Trans-Savoie have just announced a surprise comeback event, after 5-year break. The 50/50 is an all-new format which is aimed squarely at the mass-market, rather than an elitist few. That said, with only 100 entries up for grabs (50 E-bike, 50 Regular Bike), you might well need to be on your game, when entries open at the end of the month.

p5pb13878240.jpg

Essential Info:
21st to 28th August 2021
Savoie, French Alps (Departs – Bourg St. Maurice, nearest Airport – Geneva)
6-day Enduro Adventure
20,000m+ descent, 6,000m ascent (on top of shuttles and ski lifts).
Limited to 100 Entries: 50 E-Bike / 50 Regular Bike
Strong Focus on Adventure and Camaraderie, rather than Racing.
Entries open 30th May at www.trans-savoie.com

Cost:
€1495 all-inclusive per rider.
Staggered Entry Fee – 35% discount for early birds.
Covid cancellation insured, including full refund in event of travel restrictions or quarantine measures.
Dormitory accommodation and all food, shuttles & lift-passes, rescue, timing system, Medic Support etc included in entry price.

p5pb20248923.jpg

One of the original multi-day mountain bike adventures, Trans-Savoie, is coming back to the stunning French Alps later this year, but with a brand-new and original format. Joining electric and regular mountain bikers together, the new event will see riders tackle one of the most epic singletrack adventures ever imagined.

Trans-Savoie ran for four hugely successful editions (2013-2016) and offered more descending and on-the-clock stage time than any other equivalent enduro-style event. Drawn from two decades of local riding knowledge, the legendary TS route took in the best trails in the Alps, and became renowned as one of the world’s toughest mountain bike challenges. This new incarnation goes even further out into the realm of epic adventuring with friends old and new, whilst also becoming more accessible (and realistic to complete) for keen amateurs.

p5pb19876904.jpg

So, What’s New?
50/50 places more emphasis on adventure, rather than racing the clock; aided by amazing leaps in electric bike technology making the best terrain accessible to more adventurers…whilst absolutely not forgetting those who still love to ride without a battery.

Trans-Savoie 50/50 will take riders higher and into wilder terrain than ever, meaning many of the best trails of the original event, plus next level stages that were simply too epic, remote, sensitive or exposed to race down in previous editions. The 50/50 theme extends to around half of the 2021 itinerary being brand new relative to previous editions of the Trans-Savoie.

Increasing the focus on big-mountain adventure emphasises the personal challenge and joy of riding endless alpine singletrack for six days straight, with ski lifts and shuttles taking riders even further out of the bike parks into loamy forests and high Alpine pastures. E-bikes also enable riders who might struggle to complete well in excess of 20,000m vertical downhill laced with unavoidable climbs and liaisons reach all the event’s gold.

Tackling some of the world’s best trails on a regular or electric bike will be a personal choice with benefits to both options, but the communal achievement of completing the incredible 6-day Trans-Savoie Alpine journey will be shared by everyone, no matter your weapon of choice. All days will be specifically tailored too, so that modern e-bikes can complete transfers between descents without charging or extra batteries.

p5pb13878232.jpg

Sustainability
Since 50/50 doesn’t use closed or MTB-dedicated trails, riders must respect other trail users, animals and the local environment at all times. Sustainability is so important to Trans-Savoie, this will be vigorously monitored with any rider deliberately leaving the trail or cutting switchbacks resulting in an immediate expulsion from the event.

Ali Jamieson, Lead Guide at event promoter trailAddiction had this to say: “This has been a long time coming, but the moment I hit on the concept of mixing e-bikes and regular bikes side by side, and to take the emphasis off out-and-out racing, for me, it just felt right. From that moment onwards, I just had to make it happen as soon as possible and everything else just fell right into place. After what seems like an eternity since the last Trans-Savoie, I’m stoked to finally have the chance to do this; in this particular format – I’ve raced the EWS circuit in the past but was never destined for the podium, although I have always loved the buzz chasing my mates, flat out, on a casual Sunday ride. The 50/50 is truly what I’ve been wanting to do for 20 years, but never really knew if anyone else would be keen to take it on. I guess I’m about to find out!
It is what it is and I guess it doesn’t really have a defined category, just now: quite simply, one week of riding the best trails and biggest Alpine adventures I know, period – no exceptions, no compromises, no-holes-barred. Bring it on!”

p5pb12639346.jpg

The Format
• 6 days in 6 different regions, with huge elevation gained multiple times daily via mechanical ski-lifts and shuttles.
• Dormitory-style accommodation and all food, shuttles & lifts etc. included in entry price.
• Typically 3,500-4,000m descending per day, with an average of 1000m ascending, designed to be achievable on a modern e-bike in economy-mode, on one battery.
(A second battery is permitted, but not recommended).
• 50 entries for normal bikes, 50 entries for e-bikes.

Cost to ParticipateStandard Entry Fee is €1495Early-bird discounts for the first 30 riders:First 10 riders (5 in each category) at only €995
Second 10 riders (5 in each category) at only €1195
Third 10 Riders (5 in each category) at only €1295
All Remaining entries at €1495Deposit of €495 payable to secure entry with balance to be paid before 15 July 2021. Deposit is fully refundable in the event of cancellation due to Covid-19 travel restrictions making travel to/from France impractical.Volunteer opportunities are available for on-bike marshalls, a 4X4 driver and paramedics/medical professionals to support our professional rescue team.

p5pb20248963.jpg

Travel Concerns
We understand that international travel with a bike, can be challenging…perhaps even more difficult with the safety requirements for E-bikes and their Lithium Batteries. Fortunately, we have a solution for that too! Our partner Ship to Cycle can arrange to delver your bike direct to our event HQ, and arrange for it to be collected and returned home to you at the end of the race. This works for both normal bikes and e-bikes, meaning you only need to think about getting yourself to the start line and leave the bike-transport-logistics to the professionals who deal with this stuff every day, for their day-job!

More details are coming soon on www.trans-savoie.com and via our social media accounts.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wish!

But...

€1495 puts it firmly in dentist territory for me.

Tunny

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
May 29, 2018
Birmingham
Cheers for the opportunity mate. I'd love to be able do this but unfortunately I'll have to decline. I'm getting married in September and can't afford to do it and I could also do without throwing my self down a French mountain a month before. If the mountain doesn't break me.. the mrs certainly will ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not saying no ..... looks really interesting. Main concern is my Achilles tendon won't be upto 6 days back to back riding by then, I don't want the embarrassment of being a DNF not from falling off - what would people say :)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Whaaaaat?
Looks absolutely stunning but ..and it's a humongous.. BUT..I've just read the bit where it says there is 1000m a day of climbing achievable on an ebike in ECO MODE..or put another way 19,685ft of climbing over 6 days .
I'm out ...

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
BUT..I've just read the bit where it says there is 1000m a day of climbing achievable on an ebike in ECO MODE..or put another way 19,685ft of climbing over 6 days .
BUT ...

It also says includes "and all food" - that must balance it out. 1000m climbing isn't much. Even a muppet like me would normally do that in a quick 1.5 hour jolly. It doesn't say anything about beer or wine - though it is France and it's illegal to serve food without one or the other. Then again with the amount of descending I think I'd probably fall asleep in my food, my body feels like a flailed jelly just thinking about it.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
1000m climbing isn't much you are correct ..( and I regularly do that amount of climbing on a normal ride in this country ) it was the bit in eco mode that took my eye ..more than the actual climbing itself v what the gradient might be ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
more than the actual climbing itself v what the gradient might be ?
Yup, the type of terrain and speed you cover it will make a huge difference to battery usage on a climb and in turn what mode to use.

I'd advise just using Turbo. Then if you run out, you'll be well ahead of everyone else so you can flag some slow eco rider down for a tow when they finally catch up ! :ROFLMAO:

It might be that there's 1000m climbing and over 40km's - so I'd probably be needing a tow in eco on that.

Maybe we need some SL's ? Not super light, Super Lard ! The new FullFat !

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Sounds good! But I bet that for next year advertising they will reconsider that “ride in eco mode” advise and include a recharging window during lunch time or offer to be carrying your second batterie on those 4x4. There is no sense in riding eco mode on this kind of riding.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I can do 1500m of climbing and 45Km on my Rail in EMTB. I suspect the Eco comment might be for all the folks on half power bikes. :p

Not sure I fancy doing it 6 days on the bounce though...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can do 1500m of climbing and 45Km on my Rail in EMTB. I suspect the Eco comment might be for all the folks on half power bikes. :p

Not sure I fancy doing it 6 days on the bounce though...
Show off with your fancy super sized battery, I think I've found my towing partner ;)

We are a bunch of wimpy wingers :) 50 people will do it on normal bikes, and we're all too defective, lazy or unfit to do it on assisted bikes ! :ROFLMAO:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Stuff it ... I'm in. Better learn how to ride / fall off less.

Put me on the pre-entry list.

You only live once and none of us are getting any younger. Smaller or Larger maybe, but not younger :)

@Specialized Rider Care are you coming ? You're an essential part of the forum team !

Maybe spesh can send a van of demo bikes for anyone who can't travel with their bike for any reason ?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
1000m climbing isn't much you are correct ..( and I regularly do that amount of climbing on a normal ride in this country ) it was the bit in eco mode that took my eye ..more than the actual climbing itself v what the gradient might be ?

Keep in mind they haven't run this in a few years, that might be old literature... e bikes have come a long way since 2016 when they last done this?

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
This just in from the organisers of the Trans-Savoie. And it looks like it could be the perfect trip for some epic Alps riding, especially as its looking pretty ebike friendly.

From the organisers:

Trans-Savoie is back with a brand new event in August 2021: The Fifty/Fifty blends normal bikes and e-bikes, off-the-clock adventures and timed stage racing, into a new 6-day adventure in the French Alps.

You’ve heard it before – “If your name’s not down, you’re not coming in”.

p5pb19876914.jpg

Whilst that may have been the vibe for many of the more popular, bucket-list Trans-Enduro events, things have changed and the COVID-19 pandemic has decimated the events scene around the globe. With numbers in Europe suddenly dropping fast, and borders beginning to open up; the team behind the Trans-Savoie have just announced a surprise comeback event, after 5-year break. The 50/50 is an all-new format which is aimed squarely at the mass-market, rather than an elitist few. That said, with only 100 entries up for grabs (50 E-bike, 50 Regular Bike), you might well need to be on your game, when entries open at the end of the month.

p5pb13878240.jpg

Essential Info:
21st to 28th August 2021
Savoie, French Alps (Departs – Bourg St. Maurice, nearest Airport – Geneva)
6-day Enduro Adventure
20,000m+ descent, 6,000m ascent (on top of shuttles and ski lifts).
Limited to 100 Entries: 50 E-Bike / 50 Regular Bike
Strong Focus on Adventure and Camaraderie, rather than Racing.
Entries open 30th May at www.trans-savoie.com

Cost:
€1495 all-inclusive per rider.
Staggered Entry Fee – 35% discount for early birds.
Covid cancellation insured, including full refund in event of travel restrictions or quarantine measures.
Dormitory accommodation and all food, shuttles & lift-passes, rescue, timing system, Medic Support etc included in entry price.

p5pb20248923.jpg

One of the original multi-day mountain bike adventures, Trans-Savoie, is coming back to the stunning French Alps later this year, but with a brand-new and original format. Joining electric and regular mountain bikers together, the new event will see riders tackle one of the most epic singletrack adventures ever imagined.

Trans-Savoie ran for four hugely successful editions (2013-2016) and offered more descending and on-the-clock stage time than any other equivalent enduro-style event. Drawn from two decades of local riding knowledge, the legendary TS route took in the best trails in the Alps, and became renowned as one of the world’s toughest mountain bike challenges. This new incarnation goes even further out into the realm of epic adventuring with friends old and new, whilst also becoming more accessible (and realistic to complete) for keen amateurs.

p5pb19876904.jpg

So, What’s New?
50/50 places more emphasis on adventure, rather than racing the clock; aided by amazing leaps in electric bike technology making the best terrain accessible to more adventurers…whilst absolutely not forgetting those who still love to ride without a battery.

Trans-Savoie 50/50 will take riders higher and into wilder terrain than ever, meaning many of the best trails of the original event, plus next level stages that were simply too epic, remote, sensitive or exposed to race down in previous editions. The 50/50 theme extends to around half of the 2021 itinerary being brand new relative to previous editions of the Trans-Savoie.

Increasing the focus on big-mountain adventure emphasises the personal challenge and joy of riding endless alpine singletrack for six days straight, with ski lifts and shuttles taking riders even further out of the bike parks into loamy forests and high Alpine pastures. E-bikes also enable riders who might struggle to complete well in excess of 20,000m vertical downhill laced with unavoidable climbs and liaisons reach all the event’s gold.

Tackling some of the world’s best trails on a regular or electric bike will be a personal choice with benefits to both options, but the communal achievement of completing the incredible 6-day Trans-Savoie Alpine journey will be shared by everyone, no matter your weapon of choice. All days will be specifically tailored too, so that modern e-bikes can complete transfers between descents without charging or extra batteries.

p5pb13878232.jpg

Sustainability
Since 50/50 doesn’t use closed or MTB-dedicated trails, riders must respect other trail users, animals and the local environment at all times. Sustainability is so important to Trans-Savoie, this will be vigorously monitored with any rider deliberately leaving the trail or cutting switchbacks resulting in an immediate expulsion from the event.

Ali Jamieson, Lead Guide at event promoter trailAddiction had this to say: “This has been a long time coming, but the moment I hit on the concept of mixing e-bikes and regular bikes side by side, and to take the emphasis off out-and-out racing, for me, it just felt right. From that moment onwards, I just had to make it happen as soon as possible and everything else just fell right into place. After what seems like an eternity since the last Trans-Savoie, I’m stoked to finally have the chance to do this; in this particular format – I’ve raced the EWS circuit in the past but was never destined for the podium, although I have always loved the buzz chasing my mates, flat out, on a casual Sunday ride. The 50/50 is truly what I’ve been wanting to do for 20 years, but never really knew if anyone else would be keen to take it on. I guess I’m about to find out!
It is what it is and I guess it doesn’t really have a defined category, just now: quite simply, one week of riding the best trails and biggest Alpine adventures I know, period – no exceptions, no compromises, no-holes-barred. Bring it on!”

p5pb12639346.jpg

The Format
• 6 days in 6 different regions, with huge elevation gained multiple times daily via mechanical ski-lifts and shuttles.
• Dormitory-style accommodation and all food, shuttles & lifts etc. included in entry price.
• Typically 3,500-4,000m descending per day, with an average of 1000m ascending, designed to be achievable on a modern e-bike in economy-mode, on one battery.
(A second battery is permitted, but not recommended).
• 50 entries for normal bikes, 50 entries for e-bikes.

Cost to ParticipateStandard Entry Fee is €1495Early-bird discounts for the first 30 riders:First 10 riders (5 in each category) at only €995
Second 10 riders (5 in each category) at only €1195
Third 10 Riders (5 in each category) at only €1295
All Remaining entries at €1495Deposit of €495 payable to secure entry with balance to be paid before 15 July 2021. Deposit is fully refundable in the event of cancellation due to Covid-19 travel restrictions making travel to/from France impractical.Volunteer opportunities are available for on-bike marshalls, a 4X4 driver and paramedics/medical professionals to support our professional rescue team.

p5pb20248963.jpg

Travel Concerns
We understand that international travel with a bike, can be challenging…perhaps even more difficult with the safety requirements for E-bikes and their Lithium Batteries. Fortunately, we have a solution for that too! Our partner Ship to Cycle can arrange to delver your bike direct to our event HQ, and arrange for it to be collected and returned home to you at the end of the race. This works for both normal bikes and e-bikes, meaning you only need to think about getting yourself to the start line and leave the bike-transport-logistics to the professionals who deal with this stuff every day, for their day-job!

More details are coming soon on www.trans-savoie.com and via our social media accounts.

It was my privilege and pleasure to ride that area 4 yrs consecutively , with Trail Addiction , back in the day
The owners / guides Ali and Ash are absolute Legends
Trans-Savoie was their brainchild ( Ash , inparticular if I recall correctly, I could be wrong)
The whole area is epic , expect phenomenal , natural , Gnarly, rarely riden singletrack on big mountains , descents lasting 20/30 mins , stunning scenery , generally awesome weather ( can quickly change though )and Peerless organisation , accommodation and hospitality

Wish I could join you but health dictates otherwise
If you get the opportunity to go , do it, its ridiculously good in that area and Ali and Ash know the area so well , you can guarantee the trails will be top notch

Riding there with some of my mates are , without a doubt , my greatest MTB memories
I'm gutted I can't manage trips like that anymore but I'm grining as i type this remembering our trips there
What a blast !!!!
Big mountain riding with hilarious mates
What's not to like ??

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
My last Alps trip was summer of '93. Val D'Isere/Tignes. Skiing on the glacier in the morning and MTB in the afternoon...

Won't be up for this unfortunately - too many leg issues for that sort of sustained riding nowadays... :-(

ValDIsere004.jpg

Marin Indian Fire Trail - Manitou forks...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles