2021 super deluxe thrushaft travel spacer.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
So, I performed an air can service on my 2021 superdeluxe thrushaft shock. There's a blue spacer under the bumpstop that looks like it could be carefully cut off to increase travel, it sits in place of the thin steel washer that's there on all other RS air shocks. Didn't think to take pictures, sorry, a serious DOH moment once it was back together.

Looking at the available service PDF from SRAM it would seem the standard thrushaft shock is the 62.5mm version off the 2021 slash, possibly just limited to 57.5 for the rail using this spacer. there's no mention of the spacer in the PDF. Normally i'd be brave and just hack the thing off to try it, however, replacing this spacer involves a FULL teardown of the shock with all the special tools involved in doing so. My concern isn't frame clearance, it's if the damper body has enough space for the extra piston movement.

Has anyone tried cutting this blue spacer off? Is there anyone with inside information that knows if the rail shock is just a travel limited slash shock?

Thanks for any advice.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Good question, I'd be keen to hear a informed answer also.
I haven't serviced my air can yet so not eyeballed inside shock.
I have looked on the SRAM parts drawing, 2 damper body's available 57.5 & 62.5 they might be same dimensions but different sag markings?
& 2 different air cans 57.5 - 65
But it's not a complete drawing with all part numbers so couldn't work it out.
Looked highly possible though.
Did you measure the spacer?

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Good question, I'd be keen to hear a informed answer also.
I haven't serviced my air can yet so not eyeballed inside shock.
I have looked on the SRAM parts drawing, 2 damper body's available 57.5 & 62.5 they might be same dimensions but different sag markings?
& 2 different air cans 57.5 - 65
But it's not a complete drawing with all part numbers so couldn't work it out.
Looked highly possible though.
Did you measure the spacer?
I didn't measure it, I was in a hurry to get out on a ride, but it was one of those "ahhh that's how they've done it" moments. I'll whip the air can off tomorrow for some proper measurements and photos.

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
You can cut these off and increase travel, yes. Although see other threads for clearance issues on certain shocks/frame sizes when the stroke is longer than 57.5 (y)

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
You can cut these off and increase travel, yes. Although see other threads for clearance issues on certain shocks/frame sizes when the stroke is longer than 57.5 (y)
Are you talking with experience on this exact shock, or making a general statement about the reservoir clearance?

I'm not being difficult or a smart ass, but my concern is if the piston has enough room in the body to accommodate the extra travel, not if it will clear the frame.

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
Not that particular shock but have done it on a fox dpx, same thing, just be careful when clipping it out its quite firm material

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
Are you talking with experience on this exact shock, or making a general statement about the reservoir clearance?

I'm not being difficult or a smart ass, but my concern is if the piston has enough room in the body to accommodate the extra travel, not if it will clear the frame.

ok i understand, your query is more about the thru shaft aspect. No, have not done it on a thru shaft version sorry. Though my gut tells me would be ok - but you’ll want more reassurance than that! Sorry for missing the main point...

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
My reason for thinking its likely to be ok, is these shocks all start as the same (230x65) and are then spaced down according to the particular frame and travel requirements. So if you take the spacer out, i can’t think why the stroke would not work dueto a lack of internal clearance. External frame clearance issues, yes quite possibly, but internal issues less likely.

appreciate thats not actual experience however, so will bow out and shut up :censored:

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Historical that is correct how Fox manufacture their rear shocks.
But that's not been the case how Rockshox do it (different internal parts, no spacers)
Need some good knowledge on the 2021 thru shaft deluxe.
Would be good if a Slash owner could tell us if the the spacer was missing in their shock.
But they won't be on this forum.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
My reason for thinking its likely to be ok, is these shocks all start as the same (230x65) and are then spaced down according to the particular frame and travel requirements. So if you take the spacer out, i can’t think why the stroke would not work dueto a lack of internal clearance. External frame clearance issues, yes quite possibly, but internal issues less likely.

appreciate thats not actual experience however, so will bow out and shut up :censored:
That would make sense, as the 2021 slash is indeed 230*62.5

However, we can't confirm anything like we usually do using the parts diagrams, and the rail damper body is marked with sag gradients for 57.5mm. Maybe the damper body's are the same length with different sag markings, maybe they're 5mm different in length.

The problem is these shocks are a pain in the ass to strip down in order to replace that spacer. If it was a normal shock I'd have already tried it ?

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
It works fine without the spacer, the rear tire gets very close to the seat if you have it slammed all the way down in the frame, but everything clears fine on a large rail 9. Shock and frame work perfect with blue spacer removed.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
It works fine without the spacer, the rear tire gets very close to the seat if you have it slammed all the way down in the frame, but everything clears fine on a large rail 9. Shock and frame work perfect with blue spacer removed.
I might be brave & try it.

Picture of the shock at full travel past the 57.5mm travel markings, or it never happened ?

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight

I'm with JMD, pictures or it never happened ?

I do NOT want to be stripping the shock down to replace it if it doesn't clear.

Reactions: JMD

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I think Rockshox lists different part numbers for different lower eyelets/bodies based on stroke. There are no travel spacers on parts diagrams visible so I don’t think they use them on air shocks. Coil and Fox are different.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
[/QUOTE]
I think Rockshox lists different part numbers for different lower eyelets/bodies based on stroke. There are no travel spacers on parts diagrams visible so I don’t think they use them on air shocks. Coil and Fox are different.
Your points on eyelets/bodies, parts diagrams & Fox shock construction have all been confirmed in above posts.

Solid information required on 2021 RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3, DebonAir spring, Thru Shaft 3-position damper, 230x57.5mm
Which doesn't show a spacer in diagram but has spacer inside the shock.

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
Just gave it a quick wash and let all the air out of the shock for you guys to see

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_170651.jpg
    IMG_20210204_170651.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_20210204_170915.jpg
    IMG_20210204_170915.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_20210204_170823.jpg
    IMG_20210204_170823.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 843

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So removing this stock spacer takes stroke from 57.5mm to 65mm and travel moves up to 169mm ?

is it an easy hack?

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
So removing this stock spacer takes stroke from 57.5mm to 65mm and travel moves up to 169mm ?

is it an easy hack?
I was thinking about a formula to work out travel other than measuring wheel movement.
What's your math's to reach 169mm travel?
Edit..
It's 2.6x65?

Last edited:

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Well, the spacer certainly didn't look like it was 7.5mm to me. More like 5mm maximum, which would take the shock to the standard slash stroke of 62.5mm.

Anyway. the leverage ratio of the Rail is 2.4 when bottomed out at 150mm travel. If you follow the leverage ratio curve along to 160mm travel its at 2.35. So.....

5mm x 2.35 = 11.75
150 + 11.75 = 161.75 (yeah i know, we're getting down to two decimal place guess here:LOL:)

Sound reasonable, or have i done something daft? The BB is going to be LOW on bottom out! :)

Trek Rail 9.9 2020_LevRatio.gif

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Easy to work out the numbers, divide travel by stroke, multiply answer back up by new stroke:

150mm travel / 57.5mm stroke = 2.608.

2.608 x 65mm stroke = 169.56mm rear wheel travel.

Things to consider. The brace on the seat stays comes 'very' close to the seat tube with the increased travel. I run mine at 62.5mm & only have ~2/3mm on a hard bottom out, which is a little close for comfort when you allow for frame flex. Bear in mind mine is a L frame, there may be more clearance with an XL.

Also consider the tyre may buzz the seat tube and or saddle.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Easy to work out the numbers, divide travel by stroke, multiply answer back up by new stroke:

150mm travel / 57.5mm stroke = 2.608.

2.608 x 65mm stroke = 169.56mm rear wheel travel.

Things to consider. The brace on the seat stays comes 'very' close to the seat tube with the increased travel. I run mine at 62.5mm & only have ~2/3mm on a hard bottom out, which is a little close for comfort when you allow for frame flex. Bear in mind mine is a L frame, there may be more clearance with an XL.

Also consider the tyre may buzz the seat tube and or saddle.
"Yes I get that - I think you’re totally missing my point however. I’ll try and dig the other picture out with it mounted up to help visualise with some doodling on it"

I'm still waiting for your doodling to see how you brain works from the rear shock upgrade thread.?
What shock are you running at 62.5mm?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles