2021 Marin Alpine Trail EMTB released

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Generally looks like a nice bike, but I dont like the bent top tube, it looks like someone too heavy has sat directly on the top tube and bent it slightly.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
are my expectations too high ?
I watched the video and was thinking that its a great idea to use 'legacy' tech (E7000) in a bike to make it more affordable to get on the EMTB ladder. then I checked the price (cos im still after a bike for Sam) and immediately thought "f*ck that, coupled with its low end fork, the bike is too expensive for what you get"
that price range of £4300 puts it in competition with the likes of the cube stereo 160, canyon spectral 7 and haibike xduro 3.0 with the base levo only £500 more.
maybe its just me but I thought that this was Marin leading the way in more affordable bikes and I got all excited.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

YellowBits

Nov 23, 2020
Surrey
that price range of £4300 puts it in competition with the likes of the cube stereo 160, canyon spectral 7 and haibike xduro 3.0 with the base levo only £500 more.
I'm in the same boat... I think if they had priced it slightly lower or spec'd better suspension then it would be the one to go for.
Just bit the bullet and ordered a Cube Stereo 160 SL at £4199.
(though I'm also still deciding whether or not this is the one I really want...)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I watched the video and was thinking that its a great idea to use 'legacy' tech (E7000) in a bike to make it more affordable to get on the EMTB ladder. then I checked the price (cos im still after a bike for Sam) and immediately thought "f*ck that, coupled with its low end fork, the bike is too expensive for what you get"
maybe its just me but I thought that this was Marin leading the way in more affordable bikes and I got all excited.

Against the direct to consumer its always going to be a bit more expensive relative to what you can get with them.

I think the US price is ultra competitive. Its $4499 over there (plus taxes I guess?) which works out at £3400 GBP + local state tax.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Against the direct to consumer its always going to be a bit more expensive relative to what you can get with them.

I think the US price is ultra competitive. Its $4499 over there (plus taxes I guess?) which works out at £3400 GBP + local state tax.
yea I guess the US could be getting a better deal but cube and haibike are not direct brands and once youve upgraded the Marins fork, youre into 'proper' money.. you were pretty enthusiastic about the bike, particularly its geometry. if cube made a bike with identical geo and with its current component spec, would the marin compete against a better spec'd bike with a better motor? I guess what im asking is, does the Marin's geo make up for its spec ?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I ordered mine from Berkshire Cycles, they are 100 miles away but provide the best service in England.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Disappointing to call 2 dealers one didn't know anything, the other just flat out said 'we don't do those' ?‍♂️

3rd one seemed to know what they were, had them on order and I put a deposit down on a E2 they said April 2021 /UK.

SLX brakes are they any good? I really loved the XT 4 pots they seem to be the same thing but with more weight?

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
They could have payed it safe following the average style trail ebike (65 HA 455 Chainstay 29er) but have thought a little bit different.
I can’t think of many other slack mullet ebikes like this. Heckler maybe? This is half the price.

It might be long and slack, but that BB looks very low for a 150mm travel bike at 340mm.

People have already been looking for 160mm cranks, and now BB are getting even lower?!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Disappointing to call 2 dealers one didn't know anything, the other just flat out said 'we don't do those' ?‍♂️

3rd one seemed to know what they were, had them on order and I put a deposit down on a E2 they said April 2021 /UK.

SLX brakes are they any good? I really loved the XT 4 pots they seem to be the same thing but with more weight?
SLX brakes are good, if they have 4 pots. And when they worn out, you can change them what model you want.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It might be long and slack, but that BB looks very low for a 150mm travel bike at 340mm.

People have already been looking for 160mm cranks, and now BB are getting even lower?!
Its not that low, my non e bike has 335mm bb height and is 160mm travel. That has 170mm cranks.

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Its not that low, my non e bike has 335mm bb height and is 160mm travel. That has 170mm cranks.

No not especially low for a normal bike, but eMTB have generally been higher. Im no expert but most ebike ive looked at have been 348ish (Levo, SantaCruz etc.) or higher. If that is right then 340mm is a huge step, and a big contributor to the stability of the bike.

Just surprised it has not been mentioned thats all. Are there other bikes out there this low? Were the people hunting out 160mm cranks already on bikes this low?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
No not especially low for a normal bike, but eMTB have generally been higher. Im no expert but most ebike ive looked at have been 348ish (Levo, SantaCruz etc.) or higher. If that is right then 340mm is a huge step, and a big contributor to the stability of the bike.

Just surprised it has not been mentioned thats all. Are there other bikes out there this low? Were the people hunting out 160mm cranks already on bikes this low?
No issues on the BB height personally. In fact I like the low(er) height on this.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
No issues on the BB height personally. In fact I like the low(er) height on this.

You mention the slack head angle of 63 giving stability, do you not think the 10mm lower BB compared to most bikes plays a equivalent factor? especially considering short stays usually reduce stability. I wonder if putting a 27 on the back of 29, a Focus SAM for example, would get you almost similar key numbers as the Marin, just without the short stays and 78 seat angle.

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
I don't think a lower BB has so much advantage for handling and stability on an emtb as the centre of gravity is so much lower and exaggerated than an acoustic anyway... stability is already there imo. Pro's outweigh the cons for me and I'd rather have the bit of extra clearance... even though I'm not one for pedal strikes anyway.

Bike looks like a top fun hooligan tho. E2 spec looks decent 'value' too (relatively) ... I'd have one all day long for rowdy sessions but couldn't run it as a main / only emtb being in the old dodder club.

I also have a soft spot for Marin, still got an old Whyte design Mount Vision.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Out of interest i threw the numbers in a spreadsheet, and they dont all work out anyway. With that wheelbase, head angle and fork you get a reach of 495 for the XL, not 505. I guess wheelbase or head angle are the likely culprits, but not the first time bike companies have massaged numbers to make their bike look good on paper... which is a shame if the case here as it sounds like its good in real life regardless on numbers.

Be interesting to see what a real life tape measure says.

EDIT: Also worth noting the RS and Fox forks specced are 10mm difference in axle to crown, so add or subtract 0.5degree off that ever so important head angle based on what you think you want it to be, as Marin wont tell you which they used to determine the geo :ROFLMAO: .

Last edited:

Jim-D

Dec 3, 2020
South Wales
I've just spoken to my local Marin dealer- and they confirmed all the E2 bikes for April/May are now pre-ordered (in little over 24hrs!). Next batch of E2's due October.... soooo that's annoying!

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
All these people complaining a 340mm bb is low for a 150mm travel bike - you need to learn to ride properly.... my normal bikes range from 325-335mm. My pivot firebird was 350ish and it felt way too high and top heavy....

Spectal ON mk 1 was 330mm, and that rode sweet!

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Jim-D, yea as I said there were only 2/85 left at 9am on 2nd December... 83/85 got pre-ordered on day one.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
All these people complaining a 340mm bb is low for a 150mm travel bike - you need to learn to ride properly.... my normal bikes range from 325-335mm. My pivot firebird was 350ish and it felt way too high and top heavy....

Spectal ON mk 1 was 330mm, and that rode sweet!

Other people are shit riders etc. yes yes.

No one is complaining. I was asking was this considered low? most other bikes seem to be higher, including many of the most popular, and poeple still would like shorter cranks to suit their riding. Yes some may be clots, but some might just be riding stuff you cant normally ride.

Looking at the 2020 Spectral ON, that has a 33mm drop with 29er front wheel. 29x2.5 is usually considered as ~750 by most companies. That gives BB height of 342mm. The 2018 ON had 33 drop too. Perhaps you had skinny tyres.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Other people are shit riders etc. yes yes.

No one is complaining. I was asking was this considered low? most other bikes seem to be higher, including many of the most popular, and poeple still would like shorter cranks to suit their riding. Yes some may be clots, but some might just be riding stuff you cant normally ride.

Looking at the 2020 Spectral ON, that has a 33mm drop with 29er front wheel. 29x2.5 is usually considered as ~750 by most companies. That gives BB height of 342mm. The 2018 ON had 33 drop too. Perhaps you had skinny tyres.
The official BB height for my orbea wild fs is 345mm, but I've just been and measured it (because im bored) - and its actually 333mm.

Thats with the stock tyres it came with from the factory - how can manufacturers measurements be so far out - not that I'm complaining I like a low bb!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles