2021 Marin Alpine Trail EMTB released

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Been hooning it around on this bike for the past few weeks.

Alpine Trail E Geometry.JPG

They make a couple of versions. I'm riding the more affordable model but they also do one with the 2021 Shimano EP8 motor and 630Wh battery, along with better fork and component spec.

Bike Prices: Marin Alpine Trail E1: £4295 / €4899 / $4499 (US)
Marin Alpine Trail E2: £5695 / €6199 / $5999 (US)

I'd really think that if you want the most from the bike the E2 version will be the one for full sends with the Fox 38 fork and better climbing from the more low down grunt from the EP8. However, the E1 version that I have been riding is still proper good fun and very reasonably priced at £4295. Geometry and frame is the same between the two bikes, just different component / motor spec.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Wonder how much inout Matt Jones had into it, looks like a great entry into the market

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Wonder how much inout Matt Jones had into it, looks like a great entry into the market
They could have payed it safe following the average style trail ebike (65 HA 455 Chainstay 29er) but have thought a little bit different.
I can’t think of many other slack mullet ebikes like this. Heckler maybe? This is half the price.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On paper its all the numbers I would be looking for, and spec wise all the components I like out the box - pretty much given up on getting a sub 22kg bike without spending 10k with the latest generation of offerings, but this looks to have been put together by a team who know to nail the numbers, spec the right parts, and put together a tidy package for the money.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
On paper its all the numbers I would be looking for, and spec wise all the components I like out the box - pretty much given up on getting a sub 22kg bike without spending 10k with the latest generation of offerings, but this looks to have been put together by a team who know to nail the numbers, spec the right parts, and put together a tidy package for the money.
I thought you’d like it.

yeah, for a sub 22KG ebike with internal battery you’re doubling the cost of the bike.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
As in low? Like it. Don’t like the short dropper to be honest. Didn’t bother me massively but I’d change out to a 170-200 dropper.
Well I've worked out even with a 210mm post I'm sized out of buying the Marin I think 430 is just silly I thought 480 was getting short for an XL surely people over 6ft can manage with that ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah I think its a bit of a misconception that you always run as dropper as slammed as you can get it - on several bikes with low standovers you wouldn't necessarily slam the seat all the way down. Take a look at a lot of the pros bikes for example and the post are not slammed, thats often because the saddle edges provide feedback on where the bike is under you - this is why most DH bikes dont have the saddle slammed, as its used for bike control/feedback rather than sitting on - think about how you stand on a bike, and actually where you would want the saddle to sit in relation to your leg when slammed - you will also find that on some bikes with low seat tubes, if you slammed the saddle the rear wheel would hit it when compressed.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Looks ace.
That size large looks too small for you Rob, your knees were nearly touching the bars on the climbs!

YellowBits

Nov 23, 2020
Surrey
E1 is this month, E2 with the EP8 is March
Ooh interesting! Great timing as I'm on the hunt for an eeb right now.
Tempted by the E1 but comparing to something like Cube 160 the spec is a bit.... meh. Totally different bikes I know... The geo on these Marins looks great.
Hmm...

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah I think its a bit of a misconception that you always run as dropper as slammed as you can get it - on several bikes with low standovers you wouldn't necessarily slam the seat all the way down. Take a look at a lot of the pros bikes for example and the post are not slammed, thats often because the saddle edges provide feedback on where the bike is under you - this is why most DH bikes dont have the saddle slammed, as its used for bike control/feedback rather than sitting on - think about how you stand on a bike, and actually where you would want the saddle to sit in relation to your leg when slammed - you will also find that on some bikes with low seat tubes, if you slammed the saddle the rear wheel would hit it when compressed.
That's right, I personally never "slam" the dropper all the way down. Keeping it a little bit higher, so I can balance the bike between my legs #slammed

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Rob I find one thing missing in your reviews (and I can see why to be honest) but I'd love to know where to buy the bikes from.

I know its a not with a 10ft pole of can of worms type subject. But often I'll see your review, go to the brands 'find a dealer' search and the results are woeful. It would be nice to see a recommended places to order from or something often found in other on-line reviews (buy links etc)

RSVB4

Apr 27, 2020
Ca
Thoughts on the short chain stays feeling unbalanced with the long reach? I had a Mondraker with short chainstays on a 510 reach in large and the bike always felt a little unbalanced. I have a Xxl sentinel now and I don’t have that issue. Also Rob, some reviews mention it being cramped on the climbs with the seat tube angle being so steep. How did you feel the reach was climbing and defending? I would go for the XL being 6’5 with a long wingspan but I worry at it feeling cramped? Would probably end up putting a 40 or 50mm stem to make it feel like my 521 current reach on my Sentinel.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
The E2s dropping in May in the UK were almost sold out when I placed my order (probably are by now) - be quick if you want one...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles