Levo Gen 2 2021 levo - converting to a mullet set up

Rawks92

Nov 13, 2020
England
Hi, I'm due my levo in December (trying hard to be patient but I'm itching to get it) but am already considering switching the bike to a mullet - 27.5 rear. Has anyone done this? If so -can you recommend tyre set-up and a rear rim?

Cheers

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I bought a sun ringle 27.5 rear wheel with a 40mm rim from decathlon for £60and a 2.8 tyre (butcher I think)from specialized for £22 only ridden it once so too early to say if I like it or not.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I love the mullet . Bike feels alot more agile now . Turning the bike around on a trail before felt like trying to park my nissan patrol in a Maccas carpark. Now its like parking a corolla ?

Just waiting on the 27.5 rim I ordered to arrive @ the LBS .
That video above was part of the reason I bought my Levo . 5 foot 9 / 173 cm buzzing my taint on the 29 er .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

Medium size .
I hired a medium Levo in Derby for a few days back in February before the world went crazy .

Mechanic @ Specialized store thought Mullet Levo was a bad idea when I mentioned it to him . Thought it would lead to accidents through pedal strikes . @Gary . lol .

Rawks92

Nov 13, 2020
England
Medium size .
I hired a medium Levo in Derby for a few days back in February before the world went crazy .

Mechanic @ Specialized store thought Mullet Levo was a bad idea when I mentioned it to him . Thought it would lead to accidents through pedal strikes . @Gary . lol .
Nice
I haven't managed to even ride an e bike yet due to this virus. Just bit the bullet and gone for it. I'm a little bit taller and read the levos size small. I had a large reign and still have a large gambler. Delivery date is currently 29th Dec! I want it wrapped too which means waiting for 7th Jan for shack wraps earliest slot.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Nice
I haven't managed to even ride an e bike yet due to this virus. Just bit the bullet and gone for it. I'm a little bit taller and read the levos size small. I had a large reign and still have a large gambler. Delivery date is currently 29th Dec! I want it wrapped too which means waiting for 7th Jan for shack wraps earliest slot.

The Levo is not as long reach as some bikes .
Fairly long chain stays compared to new gen BOSCH equipped bikes .

A different stem / bars / stack on the steerer can help fit in between sized riders .

Levo geometry was easy for me to adjust to .

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Don't forget about the bottom bracket drop though. While 1/2" doesn't sound like much, it is. There are pros and cons to a lower BB and slacker geo of course. Just be aware that it is significant. There are some options to lift the BB or reduce pedal strikes if it turns out to be a problem.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Don't forget about the bottom bracket drop though. While 1/2" doesn't sound like much, it is. There are pros and cons to a lower BB and slacker geo of course. Just be aware that it is significant. There are some options to lift the BB or reduce pedal strikes if it turns out to be a problem.

160 mm fork . The flip chip in high position . Slightly longer stroke on rear shock . 2.6 tyre . ??

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
160 mm fork . The flip chip in high position . Slightly longer stroke on rear shock . 2.6 tyre . ??

I don’t think longer stroke is a good idea but maybe a longer eye to eye length. Very frame specific. Can’t really say.

Shorter cranks maybe for pedal strikes, or just avoid them. one friend went to 160’s on his eMTB.

I’ve also seen people use a thicker crown race instead of a longer travel fork. But any front end lift will slacken it even further. Which may be fine.

francesco_16

Mar 29, 2021
colombia
Hi, what do you recommend for rising the bb heigh. Thinking of going mullet but worried about pedal strike. Running a OEM lyric select 150, looking at ZEB 160 or even 170 if it mas bb heigh better. Also considering getting shorter cranks. Any advice will be apreciated.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
My 2019 Levo mullet has a 170 mm Lyrik and a standard length rear shock, a 2.8 Michelin rear tyre, and 155 mm Miranda cranks. With the flip chip in the high position the BB height is 343 mm, and I hardly ever get pedal strikes - far less than when it was a 29'er with the standard 170 mm cranks, and after a little while you won't even notice that they are shorter.
I've taken 10 mm of spacers out from under the stem to compensate for the extra fork length, and put the saddle further forward to steepen the effective seat tube angle.

francesco_16

Mar 29, 2021
colombia
My 2019 Levo mullet has a 170 mm Lyrik and a standard length rear shock, a 2.8 Michelin rear tyre, and 155 mm Miranda cranks. With the flip chip in the high position the BB height is 343 mm, and I hardly ever get pedal strikes - far less than when it was a 29'er with the standard 170 mm cranks, and after a little while you won't even notice that they are shorter.
I've taken 10 mm of spacers out from under the stem to compensate for the extra fork length, and put the saddle further forward to steepen the effective seat tube angle.
Thanks, looking foward to getting the mullet setup done. I´m trying to order Miranda's Kappa 0 in 155mm but they are out of stock, I´m not sure if to go for the 150mm.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Thanks, looking foward to getting the mullet setup done. I´m trying to order Miranda's Kappa 0 in 155mm but they are out of stock, I´m not sure if to go for the 150mm.

Shorter cranks will mean your feet are closer together .
Could compromise your balance and stability on your pedals ?

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney

150 mm should be fine. I've tried 152 mm cranks on another Levo, and I couldn't tell the difference between those and my 155 mm cranks. Make sure you get the correct Q Factor, which is Q4/8 - I don't remember which side is which Q factor, but Miranda sell Kappa O crank sets specially for the Levo.

Last edited:

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney

I just looked on the Miranda website to check the Q Factor ( Miranda Bike Parts ), and the 155 mm Q Factor 4/8 Kappa O cranks for the Levo appear to be in stock.

Miranda eBike Cranks.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles