Other 2022 Kenevo SL Rumours ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
@Bencab Bummer if it is the older motor. I was told that it was going to be a new motor from a new vendor and would be more like 50nm. Also bummer if it's only 29er. Every bike should have the stumpjumper flip chips and angle sets.

I think the 29ers are great race bikes but 650b is just a better jump line kind of bike. I rode the Santa Cruz V10 29er at whistler for a day and it seriously rips anything rough but its a big bike that doesn't really want to turn. On trails like Karate Monkey you have to really force that thing over in the corners. Fast AF though. 29er is also more efficient on XC trails but who is riding a 29er Enduro for XC?

I have to agree with @Chris1969 - its a weird spec if this is all true. The Kenevo was a freeride bike.

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
@Bencab Bummer if it is the older motor. I was told that it was going to be a new motor from a new vendor and would be more like 50nm. Also bummer if it's only 29er. Every bike should have the stumpjumper flip chips and angle sets.

I think the 29ers are great race bikes but 650b is just a better jump line kind of bike. I rode the Santa Cruz V10 29er at whistler for a day and it seriously rips anything rough but its a big bike that doesn't really want to turn. On trails like Karate Monkey you have to really force that thing over in the corners. Fast AF though. 29er is also more efficient on XC trails but who is riding a 29er Enduro for XC?

I have to agree with @Chris1969 - its a weird spec if this is all true. The Kenevo was a freeride bike.
That is why I pulled the trigger on a Gen 3 Levo; for the local trails that I ride - twisty, lots of tight switchbacks and steep trails where you need to maneuver the bike really quick, it may not be the right bike.

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
That is why I pulled the trigger on a Gen 3 Levo; for the local trails that I ride - twisty, lots of tight switchbacks and steep trails where you need to maneuver the bike really quick, it may not be the right bike.

Nice! The Gen 3 looks sick. I will most likely just keep my 21 levo for now and the DH bike for park days.

Mohawk3a

Mar 20, 2021
California
I have experience with 29er’s and 27.5’s but I’ve never ridden a mullet before. I don’t understand the concept of a mullet being more agile than a 29er.

How does the rear wheel being 1.5” smaller make the bike turn easier?

Also, how does the the slacked front end of the gen 3 levo make the bike turn easier than a gen 2?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I have experience with 29er’s and 27.5’s but I’ve never ridden a mullet before. I don’t understand the concept of a mullet being more agile than a 29er.

Also, how does the the slacked front end of the gen 3 levo make the bike turn easier than a gen 2?

Because you don't have a wagon wheel for a back rim, if you've experienced both 27.5 and 29er bikes surely you'll able to feel the difference in the what the rear feels on each bike?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
29er is also more efficient on XC trails but who is riding a 29er Enduro for XC?
Me and it’s awesome!
Most of us bought an ebike to get up those big hills to go down more often. An ebike with long travel and slacked out geo is still a great trail bike for those days you cant get to a big mountain.
I still stand by original statement when I bought my 18 Kenevo. A big travel bike with a motor is still the ultimate all rounder. Now make that 5kgs lighter and you have the perfect bike. Anything anytime.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California

The theory is that the 27.5 has 1) less rotational inertia (all things like weight being equal) i.e. can accelerate faster, as well 2) as a smaller turning radius when leaned over i.e. can corner "sharper". In practice, for a 1 to 1 swap with a 29er to a mullet setup, I have found 1 to be a bit noticeable and 2 to be more noticeable in fast turns. Granted, other factors are at play - lower BB, slacked out, and in my case different tires at the moment.

My guess for the gen 3 levo "turning better" is more of a combo of the mullet, shorter chainstays, and more upright seating position, which in my experience makes a big difference when you are not hanging off the back of the bike in steep uphills.

Mohawk3a

Mar 20, 2021
California
Because you don't have a wagon wheel for a back rim, if you've experienced both 27.5 and 29er bikes surely you'll able to feel the difference in the what the rear feels on each bike?

I’ve always considered the dimensions of a bikes chainstays, wheelbase, bottom bracket height, and the head tube angle to be the biggest contributors to a bikes handling, not the size of the rear wheel. Maybe I’m wrong??‍♂️

Im going to test out my buddies gen3 levo next week and see how it compares to my gen 2 levo and my SL.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I’ve always considered the dimensions of a bikes chainstays, wheelbase, bottom bracket height, and the head tube angle to be the biggest contributors to a bikes handling, not the size of the rear wheel. Maybe I’m wrong??‍♂️

Im going to test out my buddies gen3 levo next week and see how it compares to my gen 2 levo and my SL.
Don't get me wrong - I think those are a bigger deciding factor. However, in designing the bike, companies going mullet tend to shorten the chainstays vs. their 29ers because they can. Same goes with some of the other numbers. So - purpose built mullets will probably exhibit more of those traits because of that fact. In the end, I wouldn't buy a bike or write one off purely because of the mullet, but it's fun to try if you have a spare wheel and don't mind tinkering.

Mohawk3a

Mar 20, 2021
California
Don't get me wrong - I think those are a bigger deciding factor. However, in designing the bike, companies going mullet tend to shorten the chainstays vs. their 29ers because they can. Same goes with some of the other numbers. So - purpose built mullets will probably exhibit more of those traits because of that fact. In the end, I wouldn't buy a bike or write one off purely because of the mullet, but it's fun to try if you have a spare wheel and don't mind tinkering.

Good point.
I’m interested in comparing the handing of the gen3 levo to my SL.
My XL levo sl has a shorter wheelbase, shorter chainstays, lower bottom bracket height, and steeper HT angle than a S4 gen 3 levo.
Hard to imagine the gen3 levo can be more playful than a SL, but you don’t know until you try it out.
It will be fun to see how the gen 3 levo stacks up to my other 2 levos

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Ye
Good point.
I’m interested in comparing the handing of the gen3 levo to my SL.
My XL levo sl has a shorter wheelbase, shorter chainstays, lower bottom bracket height, and steeper HT angle than a S4 gen 3 levo.
Hard to imagine the gen3 levo can be more playful than a SL, but you don’t know until you try it out.
It will be fun to see how the gen 3 levo stacks up to my other 2 levos
I doubt it will be more playful than the sl. Now compared to the upcoming Kenevo sl... that will be interesting.

Chris1969

Feb 18, 2021
Germany

You ARE right with chainstay, wheelbase, bb height and head angle. But if you keep these dimensions AND change the rear wheel size, it will make a noticeable difference. In the same way like keeping the 29“ rear wheel, but changing head angle and fork rake/trail.

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
A big travel bike with a motor is still the ultimate all rounder. Now make that 5kgs lighter and you have the perfect bike. Anything anytime.

Same. Thats what I am hoping for the new Kenevo. I honestly think Specialized should make lighter weight batteries available in different sizes. The 500kwh battery uses older cells and is only like 1.5lbs lighter. Give me a 500 with the new cells or even a 240 for short rides. I would also love to have an empty battery for riding trails where eBikes are not allowed or at the bike park. Just a plastic insert end cap. That would drop 8.5lbs right there.

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
6 more days!!

I was re-reading some threads on here and someone claimed that there is a new Kenevo SL and a new Kenevo coming. I hope this is true - the Spesh dealer in town told me the Kenevos were discontinued and I couldn't find one anywhere online. Also none used for sale.

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
6 more days!!

I was re-reading some threads on here and someone claimed that there is a new Kenevo SL and a new Kenevo coming. I hope this is true - the Spesh dealer in town told me the Kenevos were discontinued and I couldn't find one anywhere online. Also none used for sale.
everything that you get from information from the forums and which also coincides with my information, the presentation will be postponed to the end of may. no availability, no presentation. problem is the ever given shit. for me also more than annoying. expert is ordered and paid 3/4 in s4. I've been waiting for the bike since last summer and it's getting annoying.

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
everything that you get from information from the forums and which also coincides with my information, the presentation will be postponed to the end of may. no availability, no presentation. problem is the ever given shit. for me also more than annoying. expert is ordered and paid 3/4 in s4. I've been waiting for the bike since last summer and it's getting annoying.

That sucks man.

The spesh shop here was super rude about my kenevo questions. Aguy from the back yells out "that was discontinued 2 years ago!." So I am supposed to believe that they bought out a new bike and then discontinued it immediately?? Something doesn't add up. Rave reviews, people on YT love them, they are sold out everywhere and yes, they have a ton of problems.

A freeride ebike is the dream. The Enduro SL would be cool but it really sounds like a different bike for a different purpose.

I'm just super curious what happened. I guess we will probably never know.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
6 more days!!

I think that was me. But my information came from another guy in a German forum.
In the meantime the owner of my lbs told me that there will be no new Kenevo this year. So Kenevo SL only.
For me it would be no surprise that we will see a new Kenevo next year.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
was really interested in the kenevo SL, till I seen It’s expensive. Then if I was choosing a normal, I’d pick the stumpy evo over the enduro . You can kinda make the SL like an evo, I think the kenevo SL should of had more power maybe. It’s not going to be light.. an enduro comp is like 15.6kg ish.

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
Enduro S-Works con muelle delantero y trasero + cushcore pesa 15,5 kg. El Kenevo SL S-Works de 19 kg con pedales y Cushcore parece muy razonable ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's quite funny look back at this thread from 18 months ago with 2021 Levo Rumours and Levo SL rumours :

18 months.jpg

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Same. Thats what I am hoping for the new Kenevo. I honestly think Specialized should make lighter weight batteries available in different sizes. The 500kwh battery uses older cells and is only like 1.5lbs lighter. Give me a 500 with the new cells or even a 240 for short rides. I would also love to have an empty battery for riding trails where eBikes are not allowed or at the bike park. Just a plastic insert end cap. That would drop 8.5lbs right there.

What are these "lighter weight batteries"? 18650 and 21700 cells have pretty much the same weight/energy ratio. Higher density 18650/21700 cells?

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
I think that was me. But my information came from another guy in a German forum.
In the meantime the owner of my lbs told me that there will be no new Kenevo this year. So Kenevo SL only.
For me it would be no surprise that we will see a new Kenevo next year.

Well now at least we know and can plan. thx for the heads up.

@Sherman The difference between the 500 and 700wh batteries is only like 1lb (8.5 to 7.5). 500wh is 71% of the capacity so it should weigh 6lbs not 7.5lbs. But I am artist. Read: not good at maths : )

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
6 more days!!

This is total BS. The Kenevo is not discontinued and as recently as four weeks ago a shop I buy from got 3 in stock which they sold almost instantly. There is currently 1 S4 in stock in California at Roy's Bikes in Upland and another in stock in Bend, OR at Bend Electric Bikes. Your dealer is talking out their A$$.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Well now at least we know and can plan. thx for the heads up.

@Sherman The difference between the 500 and 700wh batteries is only like 1lb (8.5 to 7.5). 500wh is 71% of the capacity so it should weigh 6lbs not 7.5lbs. But I am artist. Read: not good at maths : )

Isn't the 500Wh about 3.1kg and 700Wh 3.8kg (you do the conversion). The difference of 0.7kg is pretty much the same as weight difference between 40x18650 cells (500Wh battery) and 40x21700 cells (700Wh battery).

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Isn't the 500Wh about 3.1kg and 700Wh 3.8kg (you do the conversion). The difference of 0.7kg is pretty much the same as weight difference between 40x18650 cells (500Wh battery) and 40x21700 cells (700Wh battery).

I'm not sure about Specialized' batteries but Shimano's 504Wh battery is 2.9kg and the 630Wh is 3.4kg. So it would make sense that the 700Wh is 3.8kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles