2021 Giant Trance X E+ review

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
I assume that the 2021 software is the same as the 2020 bikes.

I agree with you about the auto mode, it seems to give too much power when you dont need it, and not enough when you do.

A big part of that is probably me not using the gears correctly / how the bike expects me to.

I've also learnt that it likes a higher cadence, rather letting me be lazy in higher gears.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Rob,
Great review.

I'd like a Carbon version weighing 4 or 5 pounds less.

Did the motor feel any different than the Hiabike you reviewed a few months ago?

Sounds like the shifting was good.

I vote for you testing a new Ydx-Moro next?

And a Kindernay too please. Lol.

Thanks for great videos.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob,
Great review.

I'd like a Carbon version weighing 4 or 5 pounds less.

Did the motor feel any different than the Hiabike you reviewed a few months ago?

Sounds like the shifting was good.

I vote for you testing a new Ydx-Moro next?

And a Kindernay too please. Lol.

Thanks for great videos.
Honestly didn't notice too much difference between this and the Haibike, other than it having a far neater bar control (I don't like the big Haibike display). I was hoping the Smart Assist might be a bit better, but it felt a bit less natural than what I was expecting.

I like the 80Nm power in the lower modes (the Haibike ONLY allows it in Extra Power mode), so I appreciated having the full 80Nm on tap on steep climbs even when in mode 3 or 4.

They (Yamaha) need to sort out the pedal twitchiness in modes 4 and 5. I totally get the benefits of the instant torque, but other motors manage almost identical instant on performance without the twitchiness...

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I like the 80Nm power in the lower modes (the Haibike ONLY allows it in Extra Power mode), so I appreciated having the full 80Nm on tap on steep climbs even when in mode 3 or 4.
Rob, there is no doubt you are correct.

Is "80nm power in lower modes" a Giant syncdrive spec? I cant find it in the brochures.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob, there is no doubt you are correct.

Is "80nm power in lower modes" a Giant syncdrive spec? I cant find it in the brochures.
I took a few of the stats from a Giant Product & Training Manager, here's a verbatim part of quote of some detail I was sent (y)

"We are the only brand that can source just the motor from them and pair it with our battery of choice and importantly our own firmware. One significant difference between this and the Yamaha version is we don’t restrict the torque, 80Nm in all modes not just the top one."

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I took a few of the stats from a Giant Product & Training Manager, here's a verbatim part of quote of some detail I was sent (y)

"We are the only brand that can source just the motor from them and pair it with our battery of choice and importantly our own firmware. One significant difference between this and the Yamaha version is we don’t restrict the torque, 80Nm in all modes not just the top one."
Thanks, I know I've heard this before, but for the life of me couldn't find it.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
They (Yamaha) need to sort out the pedal twitchiness in modes 4 and 5. I totally get the benefits of the instant torque, but other motors manage almost identical instant on performance without the twitchiness...

The surging when not moving,
but with pressure on the peddles,
never bothered me. But, I've read enough from folks who dont like it, to agree, it's a problem.

I've always thought this twitch was a Giant syncdrive thing... I guess I learned two things today. :)

What do you think about this bike as mullet?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I think mulleting this bike will drop the motor too low and will result in many motor strikes.
Once my warranty replacement wheel arrives (my trance19 OEM hub stripped the freehub threads after 4K), I will install it on the TranX, and measure the difference, between running a mullet in high mode, and a 29er in low mode.

For me, It's not so much about handling, as it is about spare parts and tires. I've already got the parts laying around, and an almost ridiculous collection of 27.5 tires, tubes and liners that need to be used.

Last edited:

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Once my warranty replacement wheel arrives (my trance19 OEM hub stripped the freehub threads after 4K), I will install it on the TranX, and measure the difference, between running a mullet in high mode, and a 29er in low mode.

For me, It's not so much about handling, as it is about spare parts and tires. I've already got the parts laying around, and an almost ridiculous collection of 27.5 tires, tubes and liners that need to be used.
I have not tried running in low mode yet, probably will not either as I get quite a few rock and log rolls that strike the motor.

I am actually going to up the fork to 160 with an air shaft and leave the bike on high. This should then closely match the geometry of the standard bike on low, and hopefully help clear more log and rock rolls.

My trails can be tight and twisty and the added agility of high mode seems to suit these trails better.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Yamaha was always a great motor. But his centered pedal axis don’t allow some geo and suspension schemes.
I think it is not about Yamaha motor.. see f.e. Haibike or even hardtail Fathom. IMHO the limit is Maestro suspension. Lower short link connected to bottom point of rear shock forced to set the engine angle at almost horizontal...

JaRi

Mar 8, 2021
Austria
Great review as always, Rob. I did like your reviews from the very beginnig. Having a "normal guy" without a professional riding background ( I guess :)) as most of your viewers I supose gives me the confidence and trust in your reviews, even though your riding skills have progressed phanomenal over the years. I wish I could ride that good!

A quick response to the syncdrive pro motor: form my point of view the immidiate engaging of the motor by the slightest force put on the pedals is one of the best features of that specific motor (and the reason why I always will choose a syncdrive over any other motor). I have compared the new bosch gen 4 with the update to the syncdrive pro. while the bosch-motor responses realy quickly you will have to turn the pedal a little bit to have the motor kicking in. not much but just a bit. with my lack of climbing skills I do appriciate that very characteristic of the syncdrive pro unit assiting me right from the beginning. Just my thoughts.

Many thanks for your reviews.

Stay save and healthy!

kind regards
JaRi

tomhollywood

Sep 4, 2020
UK
Wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to clog the forum with a new thread so I'll try here.

Just had my first ride on this bike yesterday and I love it!

Quick question if the more experienced of you don't mind as I'm a complete newbie to ebikes.

I noticed when pedalling, as I stop pedalling the chainring seems to continue to turn for a second or so. Is this normal and meant to help with gear changes?
When the bloke dropped it off, he did mention something about being mindful of quick gear changes as it's an ebike but I wasn't sure what he meant?
Changing seems a bit clunky too so thinking I may need some more lube.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Greetings.
A little run-on is normal with the pwx2, as well as other motors I've riden, though it's never seemed excessive on either of the Yamaha/Giants I've owned.
You can certainly use the run-on to assist gear changes, knowing the motor will carry on a bit. A minor pause while peddling, timed simultaneously with a single click of the shifter, should yield a very nice quick shift.

Which groupset is on your bike? The Shimano 12 speed on mine shifts quickly and consistently, unless choked with mud or debris. The highest level pro1 as tested above has an XT shifter, with the ability to shift multiple gears. Don't use this feature until you understand it. If your new to this sport, I'd suggest a single click, single shift, method for a minute.

tomhollywood

Sep 4, 2020
UK
Hi,
That's great, thanks for the response.
I had another blast this morning and like you say, timed well it does aid for some smooth shifting.

Mine is the middle of the range so it's the blue one as opposed to the one reviewed above.
SLX shifters and Deore XT mech.

Been riding for years so used to it all, I'd just not read about the run on and it confused me yesterday!

Used to the multiple shifting on my analogue bike, just seemed a touch clunky yesterday.

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Hi,
That's great, thanks for the response.
I had another blast this morning and like you say, timed well it does aid for some smooth shifting.

Mine is the middle of the range so it's the blue one as opposed to the one reviewed above.
SLX shifters and Deore XT mech.

Been riding for years so used to it all, I'd just not read about the run on and it confused me yesterday!

Used to the multiple shifting on my analogue bike, just seemed a touch clunky yesterday.

Cool! I've got the same bike. (y)Took delivery of mine over a month ago and still have studded tires on it. It's been a long winter and there's still ice on our trails.

Here's footage from my ride today....

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Cool! I've got the same bike. (y)Took delivery of mine over a month ago and still have studded tires on it. It's been a long winter and there's still ice on our trails.

Here's footage from my ride today....
Absolutely gorgeous trails. Beautiful place to live. Jealous I am.

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
@tomhollywood and @DrStupid - I'm located in Alberta, Canada, one of three prairie provinces. The trail is in my backyard and 'I'm able to access it and many others riding the Trance to the destinations.

We’re over 3 hours drive away to the Cdn Rockies so it's nice to have these single track runs close at hand. Our winters are long up here (6 months) and I hope it won’t be much longer so I can swap the studs over to the stock knobbies.

Here's another video of a recent ride along the east side of our local tributary, the Red Deer River.

I'm new to the e-MTB scene and have been riding a vintage rigid Trek 970 up until I acquired the Trance. BTW, it’s exceeded all of my expectations and look forward to riding more trails in the summer. My riding buddy shown in the footage has been taking me around the local trails and rides a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon.

tomhollywood

Sep 4, 2020
UK
@tomhollywood and @DrStupid - I'm located in Alberta, Canada, one of three prairie provinces. The trail is in my backyard and 'I'm able to access it and many others riding the Trance to the destinations.

We’re over 3 hours drive away to the Cdn Rockies so it's nice to have these single track runs close at hand. Our winters are long up here (6 months) and I hope it won’t be much longer so I can swap the studs over to the stock knobbies.

Here's another video of a recent ride along the east side of our local tributary, the Red Deer River.

I'm new to the e-MTB scene and have been riding a vintage rigid Trek 970 up until I acquired the Trance. BTW, it’s exceeded all of my expectations and look forward to riding more trails in the summer. My riding buddy shown in the footage has been taking me around the local trails and rides a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon.

Looks like an amazing part of the world. I post regularly on another forum and there is a poster on there that is from Edmonton who always posts pics. It looks a beautiful part of the world for sure.

I myself have come from a rigid bike (Orange P7) and this is my 1st experience of a full suspension other than 1 days rental in Washington State a few years ago. It's blown my mind to be honest, it feels like i'm riding around on a pillow and i'm able to fly over stuff much quicker. Can't wait to get out and put more miles in.

Giant came highly recommended from a friend who had previously owned analogue versions of a stance, trance and is currently running a reign.

I must say, I love mine on 1st impressions!

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
I'm about an hour drive or so south of Edmonton. I haven't had a chance to explore the trails there but I've heard that the North Saskatchewan river valley is beautiful anytime of the year. Plus he's not far from the mountains himself as Jasper Nat Park is a gorgeous spot to ride!

Like you, this is my first FS bike and it's such a departure from riding my 30 yr old Trek which sported 26" wheels. It took a while to get accustomed to the bigger bike but the torque from the Yamaha power plant is so addictive I don't know if I'll ever go back to my old school ride. Okay, maybe on those frigid days when the mercury dips to below -30C. ?

BTW, congrats on acquiring your Trance and I have no doubt that you'll have a great time riding the trails with it as I have. ?
IMG_20210220_1101235.jpg

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I'm about an hour drive or so south of Edmonton. I haven't had a chance to explore the trails there but I've heard that the North Saskatchewan river valley is beautiful anytime of the year. Plus he's not far from the mountains himself as Jasper Nat Park is a gorgeous spot to ride!

Like you, this is my first FS bike and it's such a departure from riding my 30 yr old Trek which sported 26" wheels. It took a while to get accustomed to the bigger bike but the torque from the Yamaha power plant is so addictive I don't know if I'll ever go back to my old school ride. Okay, maybe on those frigid days when the mercury dips to below -30C. ?

BTW, congrats on acquiring your Trance and I have no doubt that you'll have a great time riding the trails with it as I have. ?

" I don't know if I'll ever go back to my old school ride."

No you won't

?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles