The Bike:
IMG_20220304_214649.jpg

Manufacturer: Giant
Model: Reign E+1
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: 7000
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Only two rides into my first eBike, the Giant Reign. Like many I did a lot of deliberation trying to decide between super lights and full fats. Coming from analogue the superlight appealed as a transition between the two. Orbea Rise was top of the list but availability and cost weighed against it after I had looked at the Reign. My main concern was that the Giant feel like a tank, heavy and unwieldy. That alone gave me pause thinking I may have made the wrong decision.

I shouldn't have worried. It is a phenomenal bike and a total game changer for me. Like all eBikes it puts a big grin on your face climbing, you can chat to your pals and when you get to the start of the trails you're as fresh as a daisy. Then the bike really comes into its own. As the geometry and componentry suggest, it should be a beast downhill and it is. You hear a lot of talk about how they plow, but I've been shocked at how agile it is and how that 25kg just disappears underneath you underneath you. Rapid changes of direction and deceleration are no problem. I'm only two spins in but feel utterly at home and dialed into the bike. I can't wait to see what else it can do.

The motor is very quiet, super punchy and so far range looks promising on the 625W. I managed to drain the battery after 1300 mm and 25 km. But that was with a lot of steep aggressive climbing.

I like the remote controller, very discreet and less likely to get damaged like a some Bosch versions.

Cons: It's at the beefy end at 25kg, where you do feel that is lifting it over gates, fallen trees etc. But the same goes for any full fat.

I've had some water ingress behind the cover. A few drops may have been from the cable grommets while washing. Nothing major and certainly nothing near the electrical contacts for the battery. But I will be keeping a close eye on it.

A pal who has the same bike had his shut down mid spin, red flashing light but then just started up again.
He also had some paint rub off at the trunnion/seat stay bearing.

Pound-for-pound I think it is one of the best e-bikes out there at the moment. There is nothing it can't do, and while not cheap, are great value for the spec. If you're looking for an aggressive trail/Enduro ebike it should be near the top of your list.

Last edited:

Shandy

Sep 15, 2019
Suffolk
Hi, I’ve been looking at this as the next bike. Not heard anything bad about it and seems like it covers all the bases. Local trails, bike parks and wales. Was thinking of replacing 19 Levo with new like for like, but i keep coming back to this. Not to keen on the colours but that’s much the same with most brands. Thanks for your review….

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Good review - like you I had the Orbea Rise as top of the list as I'm a first timer, but didn't want to wait and decided on full fat in the end - your bike was one of my final 2 choices. In the end I plumped for the Marin Alpine E2 as one became available and it was cheaper. It sounds like they are very similar, mine is a tank but very stable on the downs. I'll do a review of mine once I've got it dialled in - only done 3 rides and new to Fox coil shock and the 38's up front, so once I'm happy with them I'll do it, still feel I can get them better..

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
4 month update:
Still loving this bike. Getting out whenever possible, 2-4 times a week sometimes where analogue was 1-2 max. I'm still discovering the limits of the bike and am enjoying how confidence inspiring it is. Battery/motor/electronics have all been faultless. Motor cut out takes a bit of getting used to, especially of less gravity trails, then the drag of the weight and tyres becomes apparent. Rode a VERY steep decent recently and you do become aware of trying to reign in that weight under braking, but you are also aware of how the tyres dig in so it sort of balances out. Everywhere else the weight disappears under you and its a blast. It climbs great and descends even better, what more do you want?

Mods:
Cut the bars down by 10mm, just a bit too wide for some local tech trails
Put and an Assegai and DHF of the bike, both Max grip, love the traction, don't care about the diminished rolling.
Replaced the stock pads with resin as they were resonating like mad. Now smooth and quiet.

A few problems:
Seat post developed side to side play and was replaced under warranty.

Fox X2 was cavitating (slurping noise) and was replaced under warranty.
I'm lucky to have an excellent Giant Store not far from me. This was the main reason I avoided online brands. I wanted local support if things went wrong, which I kind of expect on an emtb.

Dinged the back rim, pressure was probably a smidge low but suspect they are not the strongest.

Conculsion:
Delighted with the bike, am out much more than the old analogue and have lost weight as a result. They are fantastic. Would have no hesitation recommending the Reign as a do it all bike.

Last edited:

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
Fantastic review, and follow up. Appreciate you taking the time to pen this to share with the rest of us.
As a prospective buyer myself, I was wondering how you find the BB height? Lot's of comments about it being too low. Interested in your experiences here and which setting do you use (high/low)?

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Fantastic review, and follow up. Appreciate you taking the time to pen this to share with the rest of us.
As a prospective buyer myself, I was wondering how you find the BB height? Lot's of comments about it being too low. Interested in your experiences here and which setting do you use (high/low)?
BB height is ok, it is low, even with the flip chip in high. You will get the occasional pedal strike, but you quickly adjust your riding to suit. Setting up the rear shock properly will help here too. It certainly is not anything that would dissuede me from buying one.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
BB height is ok, it is low, even with the flip chip in high. You will get the occasional pedal strike, but you quickly adjust your riding to suit. Setting up the rear shock properly will help here too. It certainly is not anything that would dissuede me from buying one.
I'm beginning to think this may be an ebike thing? My Marin is exactly the same. At first I put it down to rear shock spring rating and it did improve once I'd gone from a 400lb to a 450, but it's still there and the sag is spot on. Get lots more pedal strikes than any normal mtb I've owned.
As you say no Biggie and now I don't get many as my technique has changed to suit.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
It is related to the importer/distributer and retailer.
All around the planet the service is not equal.
Take care of your Ebike, avoid washing, that is what i do
and i stay away from trouble.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Is it true that Giant's customer service sucks? I hope not.
That hasn't been my experience. My local Giant store have been fantastic, and Giants lifetime frame warranty gives great peace if mind. Of course some things might take longer than they would have a few years ago, but that's just the way of the world now.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Is it true that Giant's customer service sucks? I hope not.
I would have to agree with Donamici on this. My experience with Giant has been excellent over the past few years, and others that I know that also ride Giant. They seem to have an Apple like approach to customer care, replace or refund, no arguments, they even offered to strip a new bike for parts when there was a delivery issue,

ZillaG

Nov 15, 2022
Cary, NC USA
That's good to hear. I just read on other Forums other that this about bikes sitting in LBS's waiting for service for months, and it's not due to the plandemic.

justintaylor

Nov 27, 2022
Budapest
Avoid yamaha motors like the plague, I dont get how people can call this quiet. I just bought the E+2 version, when I test drove it the dealer was silent about trying it out in higher gears (higher cadence) so I only went in the 12th and 11th gear. The motor sound was not the best but OK, similar to 2016 Bosch active motor in high cadence. However since its a mountain bike, and I live near a mountain 60pct of the time you are climbing in high gears. The perceived noise between the 12th gear low cadence and 1st gear high cadence is at least 5X, due to the high pitched whining noise part of the sound profile going from like 40DB to 60DB!!! Its like riding a hand blender on the quiet mountain trails.
Maybe many wear heavy helmet or listening to music instead of the sounds of the forest, but still dont get how this is acceptable level of noise coming from a bicycle and not a motorbike.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I had this noise on my 2022 trance advanced. Dealer replaced the motor, same noise. He pulled out 5 bikes from the showroom and we tested them, all had the same noise. The outcome was I couldn’t put up with it so the gave me a full refund and I stuck with my 2021 alloy trance which doesn’t have the noise. Shame about the bike, but can’t knock how it was handled by Giant.

justintaylor

Nov 27, 2022
Budapest
I had this noise on my 2022 trance advanced. Dealer replaced the motor, same noise. He pulled out 5 bikes from the showroom and we tested them, all had the same noise. The outcome was I couldn’t put up with it so the gave me a full refund and I stuck with my 2021 alloy trance which doesn’t have the noise. Shame about the bike, but can’t knock how it was handled by Giant.
On further investigation I found that above 60 cadence the sound increases exponentially becoming louder than a tesla at around 100 cadence. Strange thing is it has nothing to do with power assist level, and even steepness of road. So if I keep pedaling at a cadence lower than 50, I can still climb a 10pct grade road and the sound is just marginally higher than Bosch line active 2016 model. Now I will probably not return the bike, I will just readjust and wont pedal as fast as on my old bikes.
Still not happy completely, since I like doing 120+ cadence cardio runs, just it is impossible with this bike due to sound poisoning!
low cadence sound
high cadence sound

I must emphasize the sound ONLY depends on how fast you pedal, the same are the results on a 0pct grade road!

Last edited:

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Coming off riding a shimano e8000 and bosch gen 4 my yamaha on my reign is as quiet really happy with mine apart from the auto mode being a bit hit n miss on assistance level

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
18 month update:
The honeymoon period is over but the relationship is still going strong!

Mods:
Miranda 150mm cranks
Tried Continental Kryptotal DH tyres, slashed the rear a few spins in, not impressed. The are lighter and roll better than the Assegai but are simply not as strong.
More cushioned ODI grips.
Hope Focus 30 wheel set.

A few problems:
Motor just replaced under warranty. Started making noises and inconsistent powers delivery. Took a week from the Dublin Giant store, brilliant service. Would have cost €1200 OUT of warranty, ouch.
On my third rear mech, the Shimano stuff is super fragile, factor in a couple a year.
X2 is leaking air (50psi a week), hopefully just needs a service. Must say I don't rate the X2 at all.

Conculsion:
Still loving it. I've never ridden such a confidence inspiring bike downhill or battering through the chunk. It's not a one trick pony though, more than able for the tight tech as well. Still puts a smile on my face when climbing. If you ride with analogue pals the 625w battery is fine. Increasingly I'm riding with pals on the 750w and I have to nurse the battery a good deal more. Good to see new models Reigns all have the same 800w.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles