2021 Giant Fathom E+ 3

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ

Some interesting changes over previous years. Gone to 2x10 shifting, upgraded the battery to 500wh, and slightly better fork.

Last edited:

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man

Some interesting changes over previous years. Gone to 2x10 shifting, upgraded the battery to 500wh, and slightly better fork.
I like the idea of 2x10

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah, I've never felt short of gear combos with the 1x9 on my E+3 and I'm a heavy MFer.
The decision to go to 2x10 conjures up a whole swag of reasons. I was surprised that they added a granny-ish small chainring but the main one doesn't seem to be bigger than the usual eBike sizing (38T perhaps). So top speed isn't going to increase - not that it matters seeing as the pedal assist limit cut off would negate a larger chain ring size anyway.

The small ring would improve the chainline along the larger cassette cogs (that's a plus), but would make climbing slower (thats a minus), but that would use less power and extend battery range (that's a plus), and also improve chain life if the rider knows which gear combinations to avoid (another plus).

Maybe the spec engineers identified the bike as predominantly used as a mountain goat climber... but yeah, I didn't think a 1x would be much of a disadvantage at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles