2021 Focus Sam2 Review

gcrisford

Aug 30, 2019
Marlow, UK
I’ve got one on order from Rutland Cycles. Estimating 08 January arrival, but I’ll be happy as long as it’s before mid March.
Hi, so I’ve owned my SAM2 6.9 for just over a week now, and I’m really enjoying getting to know it. Given I bought it without a test ride I was going by Rob’s review, and given the price tag this meant I was suddenly nervous when it turned about if I’d like it.

Coming from a 27.5 eMTB, at first the bigger wheels and high stance was awkward at low speed, but get it going fast and it really changes to a very stable sweet handling bike.

Bike colour looks even better than in the photos, and doesn’t show water spots after a wash, or a light dust after a ride. Love the burley orange Fox 38 on the front, and no complaints about the coil.

There is one design grumble I’ve got, and it’s the routing of the rear cables out the back of the bottom bracket right by the rear tyre, when mud builds up there any stones could cause tears to the cables.

Really looking forward to a Chicksands shakedown session on Friday, and then taking it to BPW when Wales opens up.

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
I've gone with a 27.5 2.8 big betty on a H1900 DT Swiss wheel with 35id. The bike is way more playful that way and easy to whip around corners.

Last edited:

Mack-tigre

Aug 15, 2020
ES
I finally decided to buy a sam2 6.9 in size M.

Do you know if the stock spring will fit me?

I am 173 cm and 78 kg ready to ride weight.

KKam

Apr 13, 2021
Rovaniemi FINLAND
Is this the frame similar between Nine and Plus? In other words could you just take another pair of wheels and have them both? Has anyone ridden them on snow or other soft surface knowing if there is any difference. Tyre widths are quite close to each other, 2,6 vs 2,8.

Mack-tigre

Aug 15, 2020
ES
Here is my bike.

First ride today, very capable bike and very happy with the purchase.
IMG_20210619_083124.jpg

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
Anyone gone mullet and back again?

I’m struggling a little with the rear super delux. Added megneg and think I’ve got it better now with one more test to go but it could be simple as a bigger wheel will roll over a little better. I’m tall so clearance not really an issue.

otherwise it’s a coil on the rear but COVID manufacturing has kinda put a dent in that plan!

Mack-tigre

Aug 15, 2020
ES
Hi guys,

I am riding my focus sam 6.9 with coil and that gives me 24% sag.

Should I buy a new spring, so I can get about 30% of sag?

Btw which sag is supposed to.work with this bike?

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
I'm on the 6.8 with the Super Deluxe. Added the Meg neg but regardless, I think the bike is on the sweet spot at 30-32%. I'd back the collar right off till it's just got tension and then see if it improves or get a lighter spring.

Hi guys,

I am riding my focus sam 6.9 with coil and that gives me 24% sag.

Should I buy a new spring, so I can get about 30% of sag?

Btw which sag is supposed to.work with this bike?
eg

jorcri

Dec 5, 2021
Torrelles de Llobregat
Hello

I have reserved a Focus Sam2 6.8 size M and I have doubts about the size.

I measure 172.5cm
Inseam 79.5 cm
Weight 72kg

on the web and store they recommend size M. There is no way to test the bike in that size.

What do you think of the M, would it be good for me?

Thank you so much

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Hello

I measure 172.5cm
Inseam 79.5 cm
Weight 72kg

on the web and store they recommend size M. There is no way to test the bike in that size.

Thank you so much
Yes, I think that size will be ok for you. I had a large Sam2 & I am 182cm tall & it was close to being too big for me.

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
I'm considering a Sam2 6.9, but the announced 26kg weight is freaking me out. My current Commençal Meta Power weighs 23,8Kg and that's with pedals, Double Down tires and a Cushcore in the back. Can anyone share the experience of changing their ebike to a model that weighs 2kg more? I love jumping and doing drops but I'm not at a level of doing whips.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I went from a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE that weighed 20.4kg to a Merida eOne Sixty 9000 that weighs 22.8kg. So that is 2.4Kg, a slightly bigger weight jump than you are considering. I notice it when moving the bike about, lifting on and off the towbar rack etc. I haven't had to lift this bugger over a gate yet, but that time will come. But as for riding it? Nope, I don't notice, the bike is so good I just enjoy the ride. But 26kg is a lot and I understand your concern. What do the reviews say about the ride experience? I know that Rob did a Sam review on here earlier this year.

Edit: I have just watched that thorough ride review and Rob gives it lots of praise. :) He mentions the weight but it didn't bother him.

Last edited:

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Thank you Steve. Most reviews say you don't really notice the excess weight while riding, but I haven't been able to test a bike and it's a lot of money to risk getting a bike that I might dislike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thank you Steve. Most reviews say you don't really notice the excess weight while riding, but I haven't been able to test a bike and it's a lot of money to risk getting a bike that I might dislike.
I suspect that if you start off focussing on the weight then it will bother you. When you get the bike, don't weigh it, or start hefting it about (difficult I know). Instead try your best to ride it straight away and let the quality of the bike win you over. I have never ridden a bike of that weight, but many riders have ridden the exact same one as you; what do they say? Rob rides bikes for a living and I have not seen any criticism of his reviews on this Forum, not one. If he thought that the weight was a problem his review would have mentioned it more than just in passing.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I went from a 23kg Decathlon Stilus to a Sam2 & I found the weight an issue. On downhill, the bike was peerless, a beast. On climbs & flat, it felt cumbersome & unwieldy. We're all different, my experience is a sample of one. I would definitely attempt to try one before handing over cash. FWIW, I found a Jam2 & found it much more to my taste. The Sam2 is a big enduro platform, it comes with a category five DH rated frame & big travel suspension. It is designed for bike park & enduro riding & I would think carefully about whether that suits the use you would put it to.

jorcri

Dec 5, 2021
Torrelles de Llobregat
Hello

the difference between Sam and Jam is only 1kg and 170 suspension I think it is a good idea to support more weight of an eBike

but it will always depend on what you want to do your

try to try it

Regards

jorcri

Dec 5, 2021
Torrelles de Llobregat
Hello

I measure 172.5cm
Inseam 79.5 cm
Weight 72kg

Thank you so much
Can someone else comment on their experience?

Thank you so much

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can someone else comment on their experience?

Thank you so much
Are you worried it will be too big or too small for your size ? A lot will also depend on how you ride and how you like the bike to feel, so you can only read so much into other people's experience and have to off-set that with your own experience/preferences.

Whilst it's within a few mm in every dimension the same as the "L" 2019 Kenevo, the "M" Jam "feels" like a big bike. It wouldn't surprise me if I'd be also happy on a Small - just, though there's no way I'd want to size up. The 29's over 27.5's make things feel bigger too. Climbing or descending I never feel like I need more space/reach on the bike. The Sam will feel larger the Jam with more suspension travel. Again, that's just my experience/preference though.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
To add to Zim's observations, the Sam & Jam feel very different from each other & I have owned both. The Jam feels slightly more cramped in reach, more nimble to ride & better suited to long days on the trail. To go by weight alone would be an error, they are different machines. The very best thing you can do is to ride both if at all possible. It's the only way YOU can decide whether it's this one, that one or neither.

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
just ordered a 22 sam2 6.9 with the G4 bosch , can someone show me where the magnet sensor is on the frame , my 2019 sam2 has shimano and the sensor is tucked into the swing arm right at the rear wheel bolt area

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles