2021 E-Sommet Now In Stock

Silencesound

Feb 11, 2021
Bt465qq
When I replaced my shock I realized that Vitus had used the wrong mounting bolt for the lower shock mount. I replaced it with a bolt which I made up with the correct stem length. The original (wrong) bolt is on the left. You can see the problem. I assumed that it was just my bike but I found a post on it on FB here View attachment 57208
Same bolt in my bike unfortunately ?

IMG_20210403_110958.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Evening all

Just to say I’ve had a stock alert email from Chain Reaction, they have small, medium & large VRS in stock currently

Dahnhiller

Apr 9, 2021
Wales
Could anyone who has received a 2021 E-Sommet VRX let me know if it come with a protective wrap pre-installed? On CRC, they state that it comes with it, but Wiggle have said no...

Chaser

Dec 22, 2020
The North (UK)
I don't think it does, I've seen one sold on Tri Sport and it looked bare. Invisiframe also sell kits for them.

Can anyone with one give some updates on how you're finding the bike? Im waiting on an order but I'm probably more concerned about being totally overbiked on flatter trails given the enduro/downhill nature.

Shardlake1543

Oct 11, 2019
Marsden
My VRS didn't have protective wrap.
The bolt loosening issue is semi sorted - greased and tightened it up a lot and that seems okay for now.
However another issue to check for-my bike seemed to be reaching 25kph quite quickly, and comparing with my garmin I was actually doing closer to 15kph. After some investigation it seems that some bikes have been sent out without the correct settings applied. Mine was set as if the wheel circumference was 3000mm (something like a 37"wheel!) and 38t chainring. Luckily a friend works in the industry and has the gear to change it all, but it's worth checking this on a new bike.

Shardlake1543

Oct 11, 2019
Marsden
Regarding the overbiking thing - it sort of depends. On most trails it doesn't matter because there's a huge motor! The issue I find is more if your trails involve crossing stiles / gates and such, where a crane might come in handy. This is definitely not just an esommet problem, but it's at the weightier end of the spectrum.
In my mind, if you have the motor you may as well have the travel to make the most of the dh ability. I feel it plays to the strengths of ebikes.

Dahnhiller

Apr 9, 2021
Wales
I don't think it does, I've seen one sold on Tri Sport and it looked bare. Invisiframe also sell kits for them.

Can anyone with one give some updates on how you're finding the bike? Im waiting on an order but I'm probably more concerned about being totally overbiked on flatter trails given the enduro/downhill nature.

Yeah, the conflicting info is annoying! I think I'll order the invisiframe kit as I've now heard from a few who have received the bikes without any wrap applied. Due for delivery on Monday, so really looking forward to giving it a go and see how it compares to my Decoy

Chaser

Dec 22, 2020
The North (UK)
Yeah, the conflicting info is annoying! I think I'll order the invisiframe kit as I've now heard from a few who have received the bikes without any wrap applied. Due for delivery on Monday, so really looking forward to giving it a go and see how it compares to my Decoy
Have you heard anything yet? I've not had notification that it's due out for delivery. I also had Monday as estimated date.

Chaser

Dec 22, 2020
The North (UK)
Regarding the overbiking thing - it sort of depends. On most trails it doesn't matter because there's a huge motor! The issue I find is more if your trails involve crossing stiles / gates and such, where a crane might come in handy. This is definitely not just an esommet problem, but it's at the weightier end of the spectrum.
In my mind, if you have the motor you may as well have the travel to make the most of the dh ability. I feel it plays to the strengths of ebikes.

I rode a hardtail not so long ago and it was about a kilo lighter than the e-Sommet and it was a beast to lug over a gate. It's not so much lifting it up, it's putting it over the other side of a gate which is putting the weight further away from your body. Acts like a pendulum!

Id have never bought a 170mm normal bike as it would be overkill for my kind of stuff but given the motor I didn't think it would as big a factor. I'd have probably gone for 140 or 150mm. I might change the tyre compounds out although less than a kilo saved might make zero difference.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Id have never bought a 170mm normal bike as it would be overkill for my kind of stuff but given the motor I didn't think it would as big a factor. I'd have probably gone for 140 or 150mm.
Rob Warner has had his fork and shock stroke reduced to give 150mm front and rear on one of his 2021 E-Sommets.
Lowers it nicely too.

Chaser

Dec 22, 2020
The North (UK)
Rob Warner has had his fork and shock stroke reduced to give 150mm front and rear on one of his 2021 E-Sommets.
Lowers it nicely too.
I think the Zeb is a flick of the switch to pare it down but without rear adjustment it'll probably mess the handling up? It'll be ok for super steep climbing.

Shardlake1543

Oct 11, 2019
Marsden
Yes me too, every ride and is winding me up. I've not chatted with CR yet though.
In the end they sent me a link to a longer bolt from an online hardware store. 20p bolt with £8 carriage! They cover the cost, so I ended up ordering it so that there was no future issues with warranty (ie if there was any claim about using the wrong bolt).
Since then it's stayed tight. The issue I have now is the motor making a creaking noise with every pedal stroke!

mrkbutty

Apr 21, 2021
UK
In the end they sent me a link to a longer bolt from an online hardware store. 20p bolt with £8 carriage! They cover the cost, so I ended up ordering it so that there was no future issues with warranty (ie if there was any claim about using the wrong bolt).
Since then it's stayed tight. The issue I have now is the motor making a creaking noise with every pedal stroke!
Any chance you could send me the link? CR are giving me the run around telling me to go to local hardware to size up the bolt.

mrkbutty

Apr 21, 2021
UK

Might be worth confirming if CRC / Wiggle will pay you back otherwise its a lot of money for a bolt!

Yes CR will provide cost refund for the bolt but would not provide a link or any specification.

Looking at the one in the previous link, the shank does not look long enough? From my observations the current bolt shank is around 20mm and needs an extra 12mm. As previous posters have indicated you can also see thread marks inside the bushing so i will be asking for a refund on replacing that too.

An engineering friend said you cannot get bolts with a long shank and would need to get a longer bolt with a bigger shank cut down. He has directed me to an engineering shop nearby so I will check tomorrow.

FYI (and others) see my pics in this link:

Chaser

Dec 22, 2020
The North (UK)
Surprised there hasn't been more updates on this thread.

I've had mine since April but I've only managed about a dozen rides on it, none being the bikes fault. I'm about 20 mins drive away from any routes and 40 mins from a trail centre so it's not like I'm grabbing a casual hour. I've got a road bike for that. On the eeb I've done just under 300 miles.
I've used it over natural trails around the North York Moors and Yorkshire Dales and I've had it over at Hamsterley and Dalby on the black and reds.

The bike has been absolutely fantastic, feels like a monster truck in some respects and really gives confidence when pointing it downhill. I've been away from MTB stuff for a while but this thing allows me to have some breathing space tackling rough terrain. The tyres are huge and full of grip.
The motor is great in trail, boost is often a bit too easy for me. I have yet to rinse a battery over one ride. Overbiking isn't much of a thing as the motor compensates. It's fairly unobtrusive so kicks in and out at the top of the range without noticing.
I invisiframed mine before use so it looks as good as new, the crank arms are one place which seem to be showing some wear. I've got a few rock strike scars on them due to the terrain and low bottom bracket.
There is an annoying rub spot at the bottom rear pivot where I've had to tape the cable just to prevent any excessive wear.
The 12 speed casette seems overkill as has been mentioned and it would be more cost effective on a 10. I'm still good with the chain and I'm fairly sympathetic in my changes but they are narrow.
The grips are ok, not particularly tough and something I'll swap out soon. The saddle by comparison has been excellent and hard wearing.

Overall, given the price and how much others are, I think it's a superb piece of kit and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone considering one.

I was concerned with the ep8 noise in the beginning and wiggle were more than satisfied for me to take it to the local Shimano centre and have it sorted. They just said to send the bill up to £200 and to consult for anything above that. In the end given the number of complaints about it I didn't bother. In reality once you're out, its nothing something you notice.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Yes CR will provide cost refund for the bolt but would not provide a link or any specification.

Looking at the one in the previous link, the shank does not look long enough? From my observations the current bolt shank is around 20mm and needs an extra 12mm. As previous posters have indicated you can also see thread marks inside the bushing so i will be asking for a refund on replacing that too.

An engineering friend said you cannot get bolts with a long shank and would need to get a longer bolt with a bigger shank cut down. He has directed me to an engineering shop nearby so I will check tomorrow.

FYI (and others) see my pics in this link:
This has been an issue on all my full sus bikes.
Don't worry about it, just in it up tight enough so it doesn't move.

Mario1a

Feb 22, 2022
Switzerland
Hi everyone, new on this forum. I just ordered an e-Sommet and will most likely switch to coil. Can anyone pitch in if that works properly? Looking at the leverage curve, it seems that it should work well. Also interested in what spring rate is used with which weigth, so that I maybe get a better starting point.

Thanks in advance!

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Hi everyone, new on this forum. I just ordered an e-Sommet and will most likely switch to coil. Can anyone pitch in if that works properly? Looking at the leverage curve, it seems that it should work well. Also interested in what spring rate is used with which weigth, so that I maybe get a better starting point.

Thanks in advance!

Yes you can fit a coil on the 2021 model. What spring rate you need is hard to tell beacuse your weight with riding gear on and how you ride.

Go to tftuneds website and they have a very good calcylator that you can write in all parameters and they rekommend like 2 - 3 spring rates for you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles