2021 E-Sommet Now In Stock

Silencesound

Feb 11, 2021
Bt465qq
Anyone else notice a bit of play in the top clip that holds the battery? When cover is off I can feel it, and over rough terrain I can hear it clattering about.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Anyone else notice a bit of play in the top clip that holds the battery? When cover is off I can feel it, and over rough terrain I can hear it clattering about.
Yeah, Mine was rattling too but seemed tight in place. I think part of the noise is the cover vibrating as it is fairly flexible. I was going to adjust the battery mount but it needs the correct go/no go tool/dummy to get it spot on. I ended up with some foam behind the battery and some Velcro Alfa lok between the battery and the cover. Bike is quiet now :) .

Also, check your chain ring lock nut (reverse thread 40nm) and your motor mount bolts. As with any new bike things can work loose if not properly bolt checked.

ATB Frank

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
Update for those still looking. The VRS came back in stock today at 0730 I had email notification set up and managed to get one. All sold out now though. See below for future stock updates. I'm still looking for a VRX but took a VRS in case its weeks for the VRX is in.

Screenshot_20210301-153021_Chrome.jpg

Silencesound

Feb 11, 2021
Bt465qq
Yeah, Mine was rattling too but seemed tight in place. I think part of the noise is the cover vibrating as it is fairly flexible. I was going to adjust the battery mount but it needs the correct go/no go tool/dummy to get it spot on. I ended up with some foam behind the battery and some Velcro Alfa lok between the battery and the cover. Bike is quiet now :) .

Also, check your chain ring lock nut (reverse thread 40nm) and your motor mount bolts. As with any new bike things can work loose if not properly bolt checked.

ATB Frank
Thanks for the reply. I've tried some foam behind the battery also with some success but still some noise. Interested in trying the Velcro Alfa Lok, had to Google it to see what it was? Any pictures of it on the battery?Every little helps ? Thanks again.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Update for those still looking. The VRS came back in stock today at 0730 I had email notification set up and managed to get one. All sold out now though. See below for future stock updates. I'm still looking for a VRX but took a VRS in case its weeks for the VRX is in.

View attachment 54528
My guess is that the original VRX they sent me (L), which I never even saw, will turn up on Trisport sooner rather than later. There is a new CRX sommet up on auction tonight. Some nasty paint chips :)

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Thanks for the reply. I've tried some foam behind the battery also with some success but still some noise. Interested in trying the Velcro Alfa Lok, had to Google it to see what it was? Any pictures of it on the battery?Every little helps ? Thanks again.
Hi, I just put a 6" piece at midspan on battery/cover. Just use normal velcro it should work fine. Good luck with your new bike. I tried it out with a 650b wheel today. Feels great too!!

Shardlake1543

Oct 11, 2019
Marsden
I managed to order a medium e sommet VRS today, my first ebike! How are those that have them finding them? Any other advice or issues to be aware of?

Shardlake1543

Oct 11, 2019
Marsden
Hi, I just put a 6" piece at midspan on battery/cover. Just use normal velcro it should work fine. Good luck with your new bike. I tried it out with a 650b wheel today. Feels great too!!
@Cisco when you say you tried 650b, do you mean on the front? Have you tried it for any longer now?

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Yeah, was interested to see how the bike felt with the smaller front wheel. Once I find a 8035-L battery I'm going to put on a lighter wheelset/tyres I have and some other mods to see how light I can get the bike without loosing its strength.

Dont worry, It's a cracking bike straight out the box :D

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I mentioned on another thread that one of the things I don't like about the bike is that you need to remove three screws to remove the battery...well..
..thinking about it, there is no reason why the Santa cruz Bullit battery cover can't be mounted on the Vitus which will allow the battery and cover to be removed together with one turn of a 4mm allen key.
Cover dimensions must be very close and the cover to battery mount will be exactly the same as it is goverened by the recessed mounting holes on the Shimano BT8036 battery.

The SC battery cover is £75 including the mount screws. :)

It would be great if a Bullit owner could post up LxW dimensions of the battery cover :D

Silencesound

Feb 11, 2021
Bt465qq
I mentioned on another thread that one of the things I don't like about the bike is that you need to remove three screws to remove the battery...well..
..thinking about it, there is no reason why the Santa cruz Bullit battery cover can't be mounted on the Vitus which will allow the battery and cover to be removed together with one turn of a 4mm allen key.
Cover dimensions must be very close and the cover to battery mount will be exactly the same as it is goverened by the recessed mounting holes on the Shimano BT8036 battery.

The SC battery cover is £75 including the mount screws. :)

It would be great if a Bullit owner could post up LxW dimensions of the battery cover :D
Interesting, tried the velcro on battery and cover this evening but it's causing the cover to sit out too far and I can see daylight through it now?

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Read thru the Bullit thread only to find that one of the guys had lost his battery/cover after a hard hit!! This also happened to one of my mates with his Merida with the BT8035 battery last year!!

Caution required. Tried to buy the dummy piece to set the battery mount correctly. Not available like everything else just now.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
might not look amazing but what about a couple of Enduro straps round the downtube to secure it?
(or just one vercro strap fastened round the downtube and threaded between the bosses and under your waterbottle cage)

Last edited:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
might not look amazing but what about a couple of Enduro straps round the downtube to secure it?
(or just one vercro strap fastened round the downtube and threaded between the bosses and under your waterbottle cage)
Hey Gary, for me out on my own I want to be able to take the battery out quickly like the BT8014 to save my fecking back lifting the bike over a fence/style. loosening muddy straps and/or three bolts to get the battery out is a PITA.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF there's not much quicker fastening or unfastening than velcro

As demonstrated by this well in shape Emtber

giphy.gif

Shardlake1543

Oct 11, 2019
Marsden
I've ridden the bike a few times now, and am loving it! One question, has anyone else had an issue with the lower shock mount loosening off?

Silencesound

Feb 11, 2021
Bt465qq
Yes I have. Tightened up again and then was wondering should it have greased it as it was dry, but not sure if your supposed to.?

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Cheers, I was wondering about threadlock given that it's happened a couple of times. Good to know it's not just my bike though!
When I replaced my shock I realized that Vitus had used the wrong mounting bolt for the lower shock mount. I replaced it with a bolt which I made up with the correct stem length. The original (wrong) bolt is on the left. You can see the problem. I assumed that it was just my bike but I found a post on it on FB here
lower shock mount bolt.jpg

Shardlake1543

Oct 11, 2019
Marsden
When I replaced my shock I realized that Vitus had used the wrong mounting bolt for the lower shock mount. I replaced it with a bolt which I made up with the correct stem length. The original (wrong) bolt is on the left. You can see the problem. I assumed that it was just my bike but I found a post on it on FB here View attachment 57208
Good knowledge, I'll check that, thanks.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
@Cisco please can I ask where you sourced the bolt?
Soz, I had it already lying around and cut it down. I needed the collar you see to ensure that the bolt was in tension rather than have the bolt stem back up in the receiving thread. The bolt stem should be the same length, or a couple of mm more than the shock bottom mount. Bolt spec is A2 IIRC.

Check the FB thread I posted, I think one of the guys bought some on ebay...

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
Anyone else burn through a chain and 2 bottom sprockets in 100 miles? ?. Why they insist on putting 12 speed on an emtb is beyond me. I was changing the individual sprockets in my 2019 e sommet along with the chain but can't get the sprockets online for the new style multispline cassettes. I blame Brexit! 12 speed stuff is a fortune.

Looking at changing the freehub to Shimano HG and fitting 8 or 9 speed. Hopefully get more than 100 miles out a chunkier chain and sprocket combination.

Anyone fitted a 36t chain ring to the 2021 E-Sommet? There doesn't look to be enough room between existing 34t and chain stay.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles