2021 Decoy

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
My prediction, refined yt battery 700wh, new ep8 motor, updated geo with adjustable mullet to 29 for rear with super enduro bike. Standard 29 layout mostly the same as a Trail Legend Bike, and weight to be slightly lower due to ep8 motor adjusted to new batter weight. Pricing just below Commencal. These predictions come as YT unloads last of 2020 bikes thru November.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I have a concern if the Decoy is spec'd with 51mm offset forks (the recently launched Elite was ... for whatever unknown reason)??

Even Commencal finally got onboard for 2021 and got rid of the 51mm offset and went to a slacker headtube with a more modern geo (63.5) and industry accepted 44 mm offset (the trend started by Transition years ago with SBG).

If the new decoy comes with 51mm offset forks, that's a deal breaker for me (n):cry:. The main reason 29'ers felt like straight away tanks going down the hill was the 51mm offset and steeper HTA. Most manufacturers are getting rid of them.

Sure the straight line stability is there ... but the playfullness of the mullet configuration will be compromised .. IMHBO (in my humble biased opinion) :)

Also hope (as comment above ) that it comes with the Shimano 630 wh battery (not the YT rumored 700 wh) .. for the simple reason of warranty and service.

Knock this one out of the park YT ... there is growing competition.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have a concern if the Decoy is spec'd with 51mm offset forks (the recently launched Elite was ... for whatever unknown reason)??

Even Commencal finally got onboard for 2021 and got rid of the 51mm offset and went to a slacker headtube with a more modern geo (63.5) and industry accepted 44 mm offset (the trend started by Transition years ago with SBG).

If the new decoy comes with 51mm offset forks, that's a deal breaker for me (n):cry:. The main reason 29'ers felt like straight away tanks going down the hill was the 51mm offset and steeper HTA. Most manufacturers are getting rid of them.

Sure the straight line stability is there ... but the playfullness of the mullet configuration will be compromised .. IMHBO (in my humble biased opinion) :)

Also hope (as comment above ) that it comes with the Shimano 630 wh battery (not the YT rumored 700 wh) .. for the simple reason of warranty and service.

Knock this one out of the park YT ... there is growing competition.
Do you think in a blind test you’d notice the difference between 44mm and 51mm offset? Not sure I’d notice personally. Definitely wouldn’t let it influence my purchase decision.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
A guy at Shimano Norway has put the new EP8 into his "old" Santa Cruz Heckler. Says beginning of new year 2021 Shimano service centers can order spare motors. Any ideas if this can be done to the 2020 Decoy? And if Yes, how?

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I'm hoping they'll offer ep8 and shimano or YT battery option (if they adopt shimanos fittings for their batteries), or honestly just go all shimano. Lets face it most bike (and car) manufacturers are in the business of making chassis not parts. YT made their own battery because the aesthetic option wasn't there originally but now it is. I own a foes fly the cunnut shock it's nice but tbh I would have preferred an industry standard equals better user support/choice.

I'd like to see a Air sprung mullet in those nice off white colours they do maybe a 2 tone (I really don't like the stealth/black look)

Oh and quick delivery :D

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Do you think in a blind test you’d notice the difference between 44mm and 51mm offset? Not sure I’d notice personally. Definitely wouldn’t let it influence my purchase decision.

Actually just remembered this from another discussion :cool:

I am not truly against the 51mm offset option, but my frustration stems ... in this instance from what I believe its an interim "band aid" to putting a 170mm fork on the front of the Decoy (up from a 160mm). The competition has been accommodating longer travel forks by designing new bikes frames with slacker geometry ...not throwing on larger offset forks.

By adding 10mm of travel to the front (160 to 170), they needed to offset that change in geometry and it can be done 2 ways (actually more than 2 but the easiest are):

1. Decrease 0.5 degree of HA from the frame. YT would have needed to redesign the frame to do so. $$$$ (so I get the reasoning)

2. Keep the same frame but go from a 44mm offset fork (modern) to a 51mm offset (being phased out to accommodate #1 above - bikes with slacker HA's). Adding more fork offset will drop the front end of the bike back to the same level as the 160 mm fork (maintain geometry numbers without having to redesign frame).

(the home engineers (in mind only like me) can also get the same effect by installing an angleset headset)

My prediction is you will see YT follow the trend and relaunch BOTH the Capra and Decoy for 2021 using a slacker head angles in the frame AND go back to using a 44mm offset fork . Ok anyone can predict this and be correct .. BUT ... I truly believe the return to 51mm offset forks for 2020 are a "one off" to accommodate the addition of a 170 mm fork on the front (keeping up to the joneses) without modifying their front triangle (making slacker HA).

****I just bought a YT Capra 29 Shred with the 51mm offset .. so your correct, this did not influence my purchase decision in the end .. BUT the offset change is more of a frustration thing rather than a deal breaker for me :D. I would rather see a new frame design launched to accommodate increases in travel .. rather than interim offset changes from the manufacturers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles