The Bike:
8C2144C6-72DD-4F74-A4C6-1A636D9B86AD.jpeg

Manufacturer: Whyte
Model: E150RS
Model Year: 2020
Price Paid: £4750
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Bought this blind after doing a lot of research on this forum, internet, friends etc. Big gamble being a lot of money for me. Do I regret it, not one bit. Had a long wait for it because of lockdown etc last year, ordered it in May and picked it up in July after finding it. 240 mile round trip, non available where I was. I wanted the 2020 model.
The only thing I never liked was the dangly gear cable but knew that could be sorted. ( all sorted now) After fitting some vault pedals and going tubeless the bike is great. It’s heavy but out in the trails that’s to your advantage with all the weight being in the middle of the bike and down low. Sometimes I am surprised how I can fling it around bends at speed and it just laps it up. My playground last season was Coed y Brenin so a good testing ground. I am not a pro biker and am getting on in years now but have been mounting biking for a good few years. Don’t have the balls I used to have but still enjoy it out there in the trails.
After six months use I still love the bike, I look after it but am not anal about getting it scratched etc. It’s not an ornament. If something breaks or wears out I will get it fixed.
so to sum it up it gets a nine because nothing is perfect. I like the handling, the bigger range battery, the EMBT setting, the brakes, suspension is enough for me but would always be nice to have more, I like 27.5 wheels, suits be better than my cube 29er. I find the saddle comfy, the bars are wide and I did think about chopping them down a bit but have got used to them for now. Tyres are good, may try something different when they need changing. All in all it does what it says on the tin. (y)

fitmac

Jan 4, 2021
Hindon
For someone waiting on a 2022 150 RS (2021 have all gone ?) this review feeds the anticipation nicely, even if mine will be a 29er. Good work.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi fitmac,
Just goes to show what a good Ebike it is......can’t believe you can’t buy a 2021 bike with only 4 weeks into the new year, incredible......
The wait will be well worth it.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
This time a year ago I was sat outside the leisure lake bikes in Bury waiting for them to open so I could get my hands on my Whyte E150RS after ordering it six weeks earlier.
So a year on what do I think. I can’t fault it to be honest, I don’t ride it as much as I would like due to work commitments. I have only done just under 600 miles on it but those 600 miles I have had a grin from ear to ear even on the climbs.:p Last year and this year I have been working close to Coed Y Brenin bike park so a lot of my time is spent down there on the trails and the bike just takes whatever I throw at it. Wether it be the single track or the rock gardens. Last winter I was in Devon so was on Exmoor and again mud, rain, whatever I was loving it. I also go out on the back roads to get to the off road places and the bike feels good even on the tarmac.
I am going to take it for a good service in September before I leave Wales for the winter. But I have had no problems with it what so ever. I have never taken the battery out, just charge it where it is. The forks do use a lot of their travel but think that’s down to me being a fat bastard so I need to learn how to set them up better for my weight. To be honest I don’t know a lot about how bikes work etc I just like to get out and ride the dam thing. In the last year three peaple I know have bought a Whyte e bike on my recommendation which I am really pleased with and each one I have spoken to loves it.
So to sum it up am I happy with my Whyte E150 RS…….. Is a pig happy in shit. (y)

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Totally agree Mikey, they are great bikes. I’ve had mine a year now it never ceases to amaze me how competent this bike is no mater how and where you ride it…….good review ?

Zero cool

Jan 13, 2022
Uk
I’ve ridden a few Whyte ebikes including this one and the only thing I didn’t like was their overly stiff handlebars. Switched out the 35 Whyte bars for my regular 31.8 Renthal Fatbars and it was so much more comfy.
my problem is I can never decide if I want the 150 or 160. I’ve ridden both numerous times and just can’t settle on which. My wife loves her 27.5 E-160 (luckily she had the upper body strength to muscle these full fat ebikes around no problem).
great bikes. The one I rode last week had a Microshift drivetrain on it and they was great as well (and much cheaper than competitors).

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
@Zero cool The EMF ..reviewer above you is a regular riding buddy of mine and the only difference I can see between his E150rs and my E160rs ..is 3 months ( the time being when he bought his and the E160 being released as a 2021 model ..
Both fantastic bikes !

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I don't know how either compare to the 2033 E160 RSX but suspect the same characteristics remain. I have been blown away by my RSX. It seems equally capable on enduro style gravity trails as xc style single track. It is very different to my e180rs partly due to being a 29er but not sure what else causes the difference given they have most the same component spec and similar geo.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
For some reason I never saw the original post until today but I have to agree to being over the moon with my e150rs too, after numerous upgrades it’s even better now with more front end travel better rear shock and wireless shifting and even better braking, ok it’s not a 29er but that suits me anyway, I have no regrets buying this even though I did try a specialized I didn’t like the feel of it but the Whyte ticked every box for me personally 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles