2020 Vitus EMTB!!!!

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Vitus have taken leave of their senses...external batteries (still) and increased prices is surely only going to end badly?

I know people will disagree but if im dropping 4k+ on an ebike then looks are 100% a factor.

Vitus you're firmly off the 2020 potential list.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Most Emtbers are (still) relatively shit riders
A stylish rider can make any bike look good.

REF: Pilgs/HaiBikes

#youevenwhipBro ;)

Last edited:

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
You're going off on a tangent here Gary.

The point I was trying to make is external batteries are sooo 2018 and to be launching 2020 model bikes with the 'old way' of doing things is undesirable.

There is no evidence external batteries are lighter and in fact Specialized said from early doors they could create lighter and stronger frames with internal batteries that are removed from the bottom of the frame...otherwise why is everyone doing it?

As for it looking better in more capable hands, I don't care who is riding it or what they're doing on it an ugly ebike is an ugly ebike...a pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The point I was trying to make is external batteries are sooo 2018 and to be launching 2020 model bikes with the 'old way' of doing things is undesirable.
Seriously?

What are you even moaning about?

The E-sommet is one of the lightest 160mm travel Alu Emtb frames available. Re-designing it to have an integrated battery just to please folk like you would increase weight and quite possibly fuck up weight distribution How on earth is that an improvement?

There is no evidence external batteries are lighter
No. There's shiyt loads. Especially if your material of choice is Aluminium.
As for it looking better in more capable hands, I don't care who is riding it or what they're doing on it an ugly ebike is an ugly ebike...a pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.

and in fact Specialized said from early doors they could create lighter and stronger frames with internal batteries that are removed from the bottom of the frame...
Yeah. Lighter than their own heavyAF pre-19 Levo. and using Carbon fibre to do it.
Their fabulously light 2019/20 Levos aren't even lighter than an Alu E-sommet from 2018.

otherwise why is everyone doing it?
Because of folk like you.

A pig with more style (and no Rimmel No5 at all) still gets all the Gilts no matter what his whip is. ;)
Climbing excepted, loads of folk don't even notice I'm riding an Ebike at all until I mention it or stop riding.

#Doyouevenride

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Is it not because people are trying to hide the fact they are on an e bike? Me I couldn’t give a monkeys, been riding / racing mtbs for 35 yrs, so I think I deserve a little help on the climbs.
I also prefer external, easier to access, lighter ? , and I can swap them between bikes.
Nice one Vitus ?

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Is it not because people are trying to hide the fact they are on an e bike? Me I couldn’t give a monkeys, been riding / racing mtbs for 35 yrs, so I think I deserve a little help on the climbs.
I also prefer external, easier to access, lighter ? , and I can swap them between bikes.
Nice one Vitus ?
Nah, I’m with the dude who doesn’t ride, Vitus are trying to pull a fast one on us with this lazy ass lack of design. At least read some of these threads and give us a cover under the rear shock ffs!? I’m actually not too fused as I would have had to buy one if they had buried the battery. And screw you vitus, the VRS is really just All the damaged wiggle returns filled and resprayed! It Has to be

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The e-sommett is still one of the best riding platforms out there, and a lot of that is down to the low down weight enabled by the external battery, and the weight savings of said design.

I have ridden most of the bikes out there, including a fair few of the new 2020 models, and none have been as good to ride.

A lot of them newer models are actually steps back from their predecessors as they have sacrificed performance for aethetics.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Nah, I’m with the dude who doesn’t ride, Vitus are trying to pull a fast one on us with this lazy ass lack of design. At least read some of these threads and give us a cover under the rear shock ffs!? I’m actually not too fused as I would have had to buy one if they had buried the battery. And screw you vitus, the VRS is really just All the damaged wiggle returns filled and resprayed! It Has to be
Sorry but that's so much bollocks

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
OK so what has happened to the hardtails? I have an eSentier which I like but they seem to have vanished from the 2020 line up. Do CRC feel most people will buy FS if it's an ebike? Is the emtb going to be purely FS now and HTs will be just for the His'n'hers cycle path market?
I don't know of course, perhaps they have just decided to announce the FS first and HTs will follow but I think that might be the end of Vitus eBike Hardtails.

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
I see they mention 2 hrs to 80% charging. Is it still the same battery as 2018/2019 model? Do the 2018/2019's charge to 80% in 2 hrs? I can't say I've ever checked it on mine and rarely do I feel the need to go out that soon after a cycle just interested to know if they have improved the battery/charger.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
That really is a shocking paint theme, can’t decide who would pick that colour and for what reason lol?

I know... it's for all those adult male My Little Pony Fans. There seems to be much more of them out there than one would think... Perfectly normal... Apparently :unsure:

Last edited:

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I had to return my E-Sommet to CRC for a fault which was down to me in the end o_O. It was a suspension linkage 'fault' and a bolt I didn't check was loose! :oops: Nothing was said about it and no charges!

At no point was there a problem with them arranging the collection, fixing the fault, and returning the bike within 16 days.

I also had to get a replacement display unit as the original got water in it and just failed. That took a bit longer as I had to post it to CRC who then sent it to Shimano to be checked.

I won't hesitate to buy a bike from CRC/Wiggle again. (y)
I agree, I have had great service from Wiggle / CRC. I had to return a Sommet CRS, they arranged collection and within a week I had a replacement.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I was expecting a price increase, but £ 1200 is too much for debatable component improvements (Fox Factory versus RockShox Lyrik, etc.). I am glad they retained the external battery as it helps retain the resale (if I ever do) value of my 2019. To me, it’s a beast and certainly a much better bike than I am a rider.?‍♂️

Craig27

Aug 22, 2019
Scotland
I would rather have a great day on an average looking bike that an average day on a great looking bike!
I love my vitus but won't buy another due to CRC and they way they deal with warranty claims(for motors,can't comment on other failed components,yet!). A 2 year warranty is effectively a 1 year warranty if they have the bike as much as they have had mine!

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I was expecting a price increase, but £ 1200 is too much for debatable component improvements (Fox Factory versus RockShox Lyrik, etc.). I am glad they retained the external battery as it helps retain the resale (if I ever do) value of my 2019. To me, it’s a beast and certainly a much better bike than I am a rider.?‍♂️

The Sommet VR model is the same price on Wiggle as the 2019 VR but the Fork and Shock have been downgraded. Just looks like they have expanded the range and as suspected a more trail focussed model added.

Personally I was pure fox for 20 years plus and my main normal bike has Factory but I think the RS Lyrik was/is better in 2019.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The E-Escarpe is the bike I have been wanting them build, IMO it will be a killer bike for uk riding - however I am wary of buying from CRC again due to the issues I had with the warranty process timelines on my E-Sommett, however this is somewhat balanced out by how quickly everything was dealt with once I went direct with Madison.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I see they mention 2 hrs to 80% charging. Is it still the same battery as 2018/2019 model? Do the 2018/2019's charge to 80% in 2 hrs? I can't say I've ever checked it on mine and rarely do I feel the need to go out that soon after a cycle just interested to know if they have improved the battery/charger.
Same battery. Same charger (EC 6000) - it's that particular charger that charges it to 80% in 2hrs. Every years VR has had that charger.
Only the vitus E7000 motor equipped bikes come with the shitty little slow (EC 60002)charger. that takes almost twice as long to charge the battery.

Shimano's 80% in 2hrs claim is slightly misleading.
Firstly the batter is not ever anywhere close to 0% when it shuts off.
Secondly 80% isn't accurate in either the battery LED level or the displays battery level.
Thirdly it then still takes another 2 hours+ to charge the battery fully

Last edited:

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Can't believe there whining about the external battery, I think it's briliant, it holds the resale value of my 2018 model! #
Seriously, I do think its not necessaily a good thing going internal, as it more difficult to replace the battery, and as shimano have failed to introduce a 700wH unit, you always going to be playing catchup now to everyone with a more modern machine and bigger battery. So carrying a spare is going to become more and more of a thing (2 of my friends have gone this way) and swapping it with ease, a sigificant bonus.

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
Same battery. Same charger (EC 6000) - it's that particular charger that charges it to 80% in 2hrs. Every years VR has had that charger.
Only the vitus E7000 motor equipped bikes come with the shitty little slow (EC 60002)charger. that takes almost twice as long to charge the battery.

Shimano's 80% in 2hrs claim is slightly misleading.
Firstly the batter is not ever anywhere close to 0% when it shuts off.
Secondly 80% isn't accurate in either the battery LED level or the displays battery level.
Thirdly it then still takes another 2 hours+ to charge the battery fully

Agh okay. It would be nice to see a bigger faster charging battery but I suppose the beauty with the external battery is we can just buy another. Not cheap though!

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
The Escarpe looks an interesting bike, (wish they would show the geometry) but jeez what horrific (and dated) colour schemes. It really does put me off.
The only decent colours are (IMO) are the lowest spec bikes, the white Escarpe and the Matt green Sommet.
There marketing guys need a slap !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles