Levo Gen 2 2020 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal
Dealer says bike should be here next week. Can’t wait. My first e-bike.

Any other riders from the US here? How are you dealing with all the hate? There’s a thread on mtb r where they were discussing calling 911 on someone riding a class 1 in a local bike park!

Where they are threatening to call 911, is it legal to ride in that park on an ebike?

And specifically to that comment I would respond that riding an ebike, even if illegally, does not constitute a 911 level emergency.

What you can do...be a good ambassador.
Don’t be I dick on the uphills.
Consider buying and using one of these. No I’m not a rep, I just like the product.
Featured Products
I have found that the pleasant ding-a-ling warning is hard to get pissed about.
Let people take your bike for a spin. Next time your companion is busting a gut on an uphill, offer to change bikes for the climb.
If your local areas are closed to ebikes work with the local bike shops to attend the pertinent local authority meetings to advocate for changes. I have found that arguing from the business aspect can be very persuasive. Your bike shops should be commenting ebikes are a growing part of their business.

And here in California the state has agreed with the Feds that a Class 1,2 or 3 ebikes are bikes. They can be allowed anywhere they are already allowing bikes. Local authorities should not be worried that they would be alone in allowing ebikes.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Where they are threatening to call 911, is it legal to ride in that park on an ebike?

And specifically to that comment I would respond that riding an ebike, even if illegally, does not constitute a 911 level emergency.

What you can do...be a good ambassador.
Don’t be I dick on the uphills.
Consider buying and using one of these. No I’m not a rep, I just like the product.
Featured Products
I have found that the pleasant ding-a-ling warning is hard to get pissed about.
Let people take your bike for a spin. Next time your companion is busting a gut on an uphill, offer to change bikes for the climb.
If your local areas are closed to ebikes work with the local bike shops to attend the pertinent local authority meetings to advocate for changes. I have found that arguing from the business aspect can be very persuasive. Your bike shops should be commenting ebikes are a growing part of their business.

And here in California the state has agreed with the Feds that a Class 1,2 or 3 ebikes are bikes. They can be allowed anywhere they are already allowing bikes. Local authorities should not be worried that they would be alone in allowing ebikes.

It’s not legal in many parts and in the park under consideration here ( in WA ) but I think calling 911 is way overblown. The problem is irrational hate from other mountain bikers who are threatened by e-bikes for some strange reason. We see a bit of that from some horse riders, but it also reminds me of the early days when skiers hated snowboarders. I don’t know why many American riders are so close minded.

Heres the thread -
How to report mopeds & motorcycles at Duthie?- Mtbr.com

The hate shown there won’t be solved rationally - the haters think of them as mopeds and refuse to see the advantages of pedal assist. But I agree with your suggestions on influencing state and local decision makers and the business angle is a good idea.

aussieskier

Feb 4, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Got a 2020 Levo Comp with the 700wh battery, loving it overall, just curious about the power when the battery gets below approx 30% - definitely feels like it pulls less hard than when it’s higher, basically Turbo mode feels like normal mode, or even a little less. Happened to me twice on a 1000m climb I’ve done lately.

Deadeye

Oct 6, 2019
Florida
Dealer says bike should be here next week. Can’t wait. My first e-bike.

Any other riders from the US here? How are you dealing with all the hate? There’s a thread on mtb r where they were discussing calling 911 on someone riding a class 1 in a local bike park!

I'm in FL and I think 99% of population, and even most people on bikes, don't suspect anything and think Levo is just another mountain bike. A couple people with a sharp eye that noticed and asked me about it just thought it was cool.

Gizzygone

Mar 21, 2020
Rhode Island
I have an appointment to try a turbo Levo this week: but I’m starting to read (in other forums) about motor failures popping up in 2020 bikes?

What’s the experience here?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
my 2020 comp rear shock has dropped all its oil out all over the floor or my garage. No ebiking for a bit . o_O Seems to be coming from the rebound knob area - which I notice is now stuck fast??

lamented

Oct 4, 2019
US
Quick report on my 2020 comp. in 300 miles of hard NE USA woods riding here are the issues Iv'e suffered. FWIW I love the bike

Bent rear rim ( rim replaced under warranty, paid labor for rebuild)
3 chains!
1 broken bottom cover (the plastic bit attached to battery) no warranty.
1 dead bike. Problem was a cracked plug head between bike and battery. Plug wire replaced under warranty (labor charge for work)

Super fun bike but definitely a little fragile.

Last edited:

PSR1947

Mar 14, 2020
Epping Essex UK
My Levo Comp bought 30 Jan less than 300 miles now not working. Will not light up. Been at my lbs for a week. Lovely when it is working, but I have a feeling this is not going to go well.

PSR1947

Mar 14, 2020
Epping Essex UK
I collected my Levo from my lbs where they had changed everything to do with the electrics.
Apparently they had gutted a new comp and swapped all the bits over.
I went out today in my local forest and completed the trip of 46 miles and 3000 ft of climbing without any anxiety. She behaved impeccably.
Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I was not able to get the suspension to be acceptable (if I set it for 25-30% sag, I could only get about 1/2 travel), and thought it was because the Lyrik was over-forked for this bike. Turns out, and I never would have expected this, but they put in volume-reducing spacers in both the front and the back at the factory. I guess they set it up assuming a 250lb guy will ride it.

I am happy I was able to fix it, but frustrated it would come that way.

View attachment 18285

View attachment 18286
Just finishing set up on mine and I thought it might be useful to share my experience (2020 Turbo Levo Comp). Like @rsilvers mine came with 2 tokens in the Lyrik and effectively 4.5 in the shock - 2 red standard and a Gnar Dog. Set up for my weight fully kitted (206 lbs/93.4 kgs) with sag at 30% rear and 25% front I couldn't get anything like full progression. Taking 1 token from the fork seems to have sorted this and static I am getting about 85% travel now so hopefully this gives sufficient margin. I have taken 1 red token from the rear and will try this out but it may need 2 removing eventually. Not much chance now to try big hits off-road so will play safe for the moment and see how this goes.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Rode the bike.
Washed the bike (used water sparingly and gently).....then it wouldn't turn on.
Checked the TCU..dry
Checked the battery..dry
When I tried to turn the bike on two green battery led's would taking turns flashing.
Bike dropped off at bike shop once again (new motor is only 4 weeks old).

Quite a delicate flower this Levo.....

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Went for my first real ride today with my 2020 comp. I was surprised how noisy the motor is, even in eco mode. Is this to be expected? Lbs says it’s normal Even though he hasn’t heard it since shop is closed for covid. I had test ridden the 2018 which was quiet in eco then progressively louder in each mode And expected similar on the 2020. I was under the impression eco would be quieter than trall. In fact turbo is just slightly louder than eco. I’m hearing a whining sound all the time.

Bike is all set up nice though and looks beautiful — got some compliments on the trail.
758E72BA-6F68-46B1-BFA6-438410E47509.jpeg

Last edited:

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Went for my first real ride today with my 2020 comp. I was surprised how noisy the motor is, even in eco mode. Is this to be expected? Lbs says it’s normal Even though he hasn’t heard it since shop is closed for covid. I had test ridden the 2018 which was quiet in eco then progressively louder in each mode And expected similar on the 2020. I was under the impression eco would be quieter than trall. In fact turbo is just slightly louder than eco. I’m hearing a whining sound all the time.

Bike is all set up nice though and looks beautiful — got some compliments on the trail. View attachment 28616

I would say mine is only noisy in Turbo and that's only really a bit more of a noticeable whine compared to Eco and Trail. The only time I really notice the motor noise is when passing walkers and it is then apparent that it's an electric bike.

Bike looks good - same colour as mine. Any chance you could post some links for the frame bag, grips and stem - was there a reason to change the stem? Understand why you changed the saddle though - I found mine pretty uncomfortable and too wide at 145mm.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
I would say mine is only noisy in Turbo and that's only really a bit more of a noticeable whine compared to Eco and Trail. The only time I really notice the motor noise is when passing walkers and it is then apparent that it's an electric bike.

Bike looks good - same colour as mine. Any chance you could post some links for the frame bag, grips and stem - was there a reason to change the stem? Understand why you changed the saddle though - I found mine pretty uncomfortable and too wide at 145mm.

Thanks - I really like the color so congrats on yours :)
Looks like I may have a motor issue

The reach is long for me because I have a short torso and long legs and specialized geometry has always fit me best but I’m increasingly having to shorten the reach and increase the rise with these modern geometries so my stem is shorter and handlebar has more rise.

I‘d gotten the little top tube bag some years ago for my road bike so I don’t know if specialized still makes them. It’s a cool bag with a magnetic latch but I seal it with a strap for trail stuff like a tube co2, master link etc. Since I don’t want to block the TCU, I tie it around the seat post instead of the stem. So any top tube bag with a narrow and not too tall profile should work. A closer photo below with seat at lowest point.

It doesn’t look available but you might get lucky on eBay
Specialized Vital Pack | SADDLE & HANDLEBAR BAGS | Evans Cycles

You could try their current one - it looks really good and appears narrow but height may be slightly more. In fact it might be even more narrow.
Top Tube Pack | Specialized.com
I think it’s the same one reviewed here
Specialized Burra Burra Bikepacking Bags - BIKEPACKING.com

The stem is the 31mm version here ( same company makes my saddle on all my bikes )
HiFi Stem

My handlebar ( i know you didn’t ask but Just FYI ) is the blue accented 50mm rise one here
Spank Spike 800 Vibrocore Handlebar | Jenson USA

The grips are these in blue

Also since we are on equipment I think I saw a thread earlier saying the oneup edc doesn’t fit but it does fit my water bottle cage by changing the bolt so it’s a nice pump with tool system to have and I use it on all my bikes.
EDC PUMP

Hope that helps!

93A8310D-73A1-40C3-B89B-DF361CCFACFD.jpeg

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Just finishing set up on mine and I thought it might be useful to share my experience (2020 Turbo Levo Comp). Like @rsilvers mine came with 2 tokens in the Lyrik and effectively 4.5 in the shock - 2 red standard and a Gnar Dog. Set up for my weight fully kitted (206 lbs/93.4 kgs) with sag at 30% rear and 25% front I couldn't get anything like full progression. Taking 1 token from the fork seems to have sorted this and static I am getting about 85% travel now so hopefully this gives sufficient margin. I have taken 1 red token from the rear and will try this out but it may need 2 removing eventually. Not much chance now to try big hits off-road so will play safe for the moment and see how this goes.
Thanks for that. I found the ride super Harsh - it was like riding a hard nose ( inverse of a hard tail ) and I will have to work on the Lyrik.

Last edited:

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Thanks - I really like the color so congrats on yours :)
Looks like I may have a motor issue

The reach is long for me because I have a short torso and long legs and specialized geometry has always fit me best but I’m increasingly having to shorten the reach and increase the rise with these modern geometries so my stem is shorter and handlebar has more rise.

I‘d gotten the little top tube bag some years ago for my road bike so I don’t know if specialized still makes them. It’s a cool bag with a magnetic latch but I seal it with a strap for trail stuff like a tube co2, master link etc. Since I don’t want to block the TCU, I tie it around the seat post instead of the stem. So any top tube bag with a narrow and not too tall profile should work. A closer photo below with seat at lowest point.

It doesn’t look available but you might get lucky on eBay
Specialized Vital Pack | SADDLE & HANDLEBAR BAGS | Evans Cycles

You could try their current one - it looks really good and appears narrow but height may be slightly more. In fact it might be even more narrow.
Top Tube Pack | Specialized.com
I think it’s the same one reviewed here
Specialized Burra Burra Bikepacking Bags - BIKEPACKING.com

The stem is the 31mm version here ( same company makes my saddle on all my bikes )
HiFi Stem

My handlebar ( i know you didn’t ask but Just FYI ) is the blue accented 50mm rise one here
Spank Spike 800 Vibrocore Handlebar | Jenson USA

The grips are these in blue

Also since we are on equipment I think I saw a thread earlier saying the oneup edc doesn’t fit but it does fit my water bottle cage by changing the bolt so it’s a nice pump with tool system to have and I use it on all my bikes.
EDC PUMP

Hope that helps!

View attachment 28622
Thanks for that - very useful links. Picture of mine attached for comparison (probably ought to be in the mudguard thread!). Storm Grey is a strange choice of name for the colour though. Invisiframed which went pretty well with just a couple of very small bubbles - should have done it in daylight.

I know many would hate the look of big mudguards like this but here in Yorkshire, not just in winter, mud is everywhere unless it's been dry for a long time. Cleaning jackets
and bags after every ride or mudguards - no choice for me. Yours look good (Zefal) and I hadn't seen this until now but it gives a much cleaner line at the back. At the front I have to go with a detachable like the Topeak Defender to get the bike in and out of the car with a wheel removed.

20200403_181420.jpg

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Thanks for that - very useful links. Picture of mine attached for comparison (probably ought to be in the mudguard thread!). Storm Grey is a strange choice of name for the colour though. Invisiframed which went pretty well with just a couple of very small bubbles - should have done it in daylight.

I know many would hate the look of big mudguards like this but here in Yorkshire, not just in winter, mud is everywhere unless it's been dry for a long time. Cleaning jackets
and bags after every ride or mudguards - no choice for me. Yours look good (Zefal) and I hadn't seen this until now but it gives a much cleaner line at the back. At the front I have to go with a detachable like the Topeak Defender to get the bike in and out of the car with a wheel removed.

Your bike looks nice. The pedals match perfectly, which are those? I like your rear mudguard - looks like the ultimate protection. Is that the sico?

I did ride wrap ( out of whistler just to the north ) on my bike as well and have a few bubbles but I’ve made my peace with it.

I haven’t tried the zefal in mud yet so don’t know how they do but it should do well enough. We get mud here in winter too but I tend to ride my hardtail already in the winter over my existing full suspension stump jumper and I plan on doing that with the Levo as well. Plus the zefal are just 20$.

Yes calling this color storm grey is like calling grass sky blue.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Your bike looks nice. The pedals match perfectly, which are those? I like your rear mudguard - looks like the ultimate protection. Is that the sico?

I did ride wrap ( out of whistler just to the north ) on my bike as well and have a few bubbles but I’ve made my peace with it.

I haven’t tried the zefal in mud yet so don’t know how they do but it should do well enough. We get mud here in winter too but I tend to ride my hardtail already in the winter over my existing full suspension stump jumper and I plan on doing that with the Levo as well. Plus the zefal are just 20$.

Yes calling this color storm grey is like calling grass sky blue.

Pedals are Hope F20 Hope F20 Pedals

Rear mudguard is a Mudhugger Large LARGE Rear Mudhugger

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa

It looks like the newest 2021 Lyrik addresses a flaw in previous versions where achieving full travel was harder. The new damper can be retrofitted on our Lyriks. I don’t know if we have the 2020 or 2019 version but it’s either a 25$ or 42$ upgrade so not too expensive.

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
I've been experimenting with the suspension on my 2020 Turbo Levo Comp. I removed the two volume spacers from the Lyrik front fork. Here's my question. How can I tell when I reach full travel on this shock? Will the rubber ring used to mark the travel distance go all the way to the top? Or, to put it another way, did the shock in this
6AbrQ4b3TZG928sC%uRaXA.jpg
photo reach the full travel?

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
You are far from full travel. If you measure from the ring to the lowers you will see that is less than the 150mm. Take the air out of the fork remembering the pressure you had, then compress the fork all the way down to check the red ring is touching the crown or reaches the 150mm of full travel. Put air back in the fork, same pressure, set the ring to the bottom go riding and check again how much travel do you use. You will have to find the right set up/pressure if it's to stiff and you don't use full travel on hard impacts or big bits. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
You will most likely feel it when it bottoms.

I didn’t like the lack of adjustments of the Lyrik Select, so I upgraded mine to 160 mm with the RC2 damper (now it is an Ultimate).

Here is mine after a bottom out (went down a deep gulley thinking my 29 wheel would transition and climb up the short steep hill...instead my fork bottomed and I went over the bars into the hill).

6034DBF1-0421-4849-BB3A-67EAA7D0B93A.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles