Levo Gen 2 2020 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Anyone know for sure what the rear hub is on my 2020 Comp and how I get the freehub off?
Other posts say it is a Formula DHT 148, but the only exploded view I can find is for a 148S, and it is not the same. I know the freehub is a FH-521.
Other posts say, having removed the lock nut on the drive side, the freehub just pulls off, it won't, even with the cassette in place to give extra leverage/grip.
On the main hub, behind the freehub, there is a ring with 4 holes in it. This looks like a lock ring but it won't budge (and I don't want to force it).
No internet search has come up with anything useful.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Anyone know for sure what the rear hub is on my 2020 Comp and how I get the freehub off?
Other posts say it is a Formula DHT 148, but the only exploded view I can find is for a 148S, and it is not the same. I know the freehub is a FH-521.
Other posts say, having removed the lock nut on the drive side, the freehub just pulls off, it won't, even with the cassette in place to give extra leverage/grip.
On the main hub, behind the freehub, there is a ring with 4 holes in it. This looks like a lock ring but it won't budge (and I don't want to force it).
No internet search has come up with anything useful.

Why are you doing the work? Has the freehub failed or are you just looking to service it? Did your freehub have the single reverse thread nut on the drive side? If it did then that is all that holds the freehub on. If you had some other arrangement like just an end cap it may be a different design to mine. Any pics??

As far as I know ( and have seen on other threads) the 2020 Comp has the same Hub and freehub set up as my 2019 Comp. The freehub is a standard Shimano HG 3 pawl design made on licence by a number of brands including SRAM. It is held onto the axle by the reverse threaded nut on the drive side and if that is removed it should slide off. If it does not then the freehub bearings are seized on the axle. You may be able to free it by refitting the reverse thread nut leaving it loose by a couple of turns and tapping it with a soft head hammer.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Why are you doing the work? Has the freehub failed or are you just looking to service it? Did your freehub have the single reverse thread nut on the drive side? If it did then that is all that holds the freehub on. If you had some other arrangement like just an end cap it may be a different design to mine. Any pics??

As far as I know ( and have seen on other threads) the 2020 Comp has the same Hub and freehub set up as my 2019 Comp. The freehub is a standard Shimano HG 3 pawl design made on licence by a number of brands including SRAM. It is held onto the axle by the reverse threaded nut on the drive side and if that is removed it should slide off. If it does not then the freehub bearings are seized on the axle. You may be able to free it by refitting the reverse thread nut leaving it loose by a couple of turns and tapping it with a soft head hammer.
Looking to service it. It has the left hand thread lock nut (with a big flange) on the drive side. I'll try your suggestion to free it and post some pics of it doesn't work.
Thanks

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Looking to service it. It has the left hand thread lock nut (with a big flange) on the drive side. I'll try your suggestion to free it and post some pics of it doesn't work.
Thanks
If that does not work, remove the cone nut and locknut on the non drive side and the freehub should then come off together with the axle........you may then get a better idea what is holding the freehub onto the axle. I assume looking into the freehub on the drive side you can only see the outer freehub bearing? ( suggesting nothing else holding it on). I guess it is possible the pawl end of the freehub is stuck inside the hub ratchet if a lot of gunge has got in there. If so trying to inject some very light oil in there whilst trying to rotate the freehub left and right ( holding the axle still) may dislodge the dirt etc.

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
If that does not work, remove the cone nut and locknut on the non drive side and the freehub should then come off together with the axle........you may then get a better idea what is holding the freehub onto the axle. I assume looking into the freehub on the drive side you can only see the outer freehub bearing? ( suggesting nothing else holding it on). I guess it is possible the pawl end of the freehub is stuck inside the hub ratchet if a lot of gunge has got in there. If so trying to inject some very light oil in there whilst trying to rotate the freehub left and right ( holding the axle still) may dislodge the dirt etc.
Thanks for that. There is no cone nut and no locknut on the non drive side, just a top hat spacer. And yes, on the drive side I can only see the outer freehub bearing.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
sounds more like a DT swiss 370 ...regardless the freehub should just pull off. If it is stuck you will need to use something to grip it without damaging it....possibly soft jaws in a vice ( diy bodge is to use pieces of wood). You then have the full wheel as leverage. Alternatively put the cassette back on ( with the axle lock nut removed) and just thread the cassette locknut on finger tight. You can then use your hands to get behind the cassette to try leveraging the cassette and freehub off together. If indeed your hub is a different design to the 2019 and is a DT swiss type the following may help
(232) How To Remove A Seized DT Swiss Freehub Body - YouTube

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
Got some new shoes for the lady, like the look. ?
Havn't done a testride yet. I'm excited how they work.

20210606_161501.jpg

20210606_161411.jpg

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
There is a Stumpjumper ST model (short travel) with 120mm of rear travel. I think it makes more sense to use the Stumpjumper (SJ) for our Turbo Levo bikes, as they have more similar suspension and geometry than the ST.

Measuring it yourself is even better though! (y)
I'm with you about measuring, but if you turn the tool to the back, there is also a print for the turbo levo 29 ?

ManuelV

Aug 4, 2020
Madrid
Hi. My wife's TL2020 shows an irregular shape of some of the cassette teeth, as you can see in the attached picture. The bike has barely reached 100 km, so I was wondering if this is not wear and tear but rather something normal designed like that, just like for example thick/thin chainrings.
L1020332.jpg

What do you think?

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Has anyone changed to shimano 12speed drivetrain to 2020 levo?
Any issues?
I changed to 12 speed SRAM AXS. Only issue was I had to use the NX eagle cassette as it is the only eagle cassette that fits the standard shimano hub,other than that it works perfectly. Not sure but think if you go shimano 12 speed, you may need the newer microspline hub? hope this is helpful... :)

AdamM

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2019
Poland
Has anyone changed to shimano 12speed drivetrain to 2020 levo?
Any issues?

I did- to XT. Microspline hub body is needed. For dt based hubs it is easily available.
And front sprocket was making a lot of noise with shimano chain- I changed it for the new one praxis with „wave” tech and its ok now.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Maybe I didnt ask clear enough.. I do know what parts I need to make it possible.
Main thing was that what kind of toughts 12spd vs 11spd?
Durability?
Gear ratio feelings vs 11spd?
Any issues on rides?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Only issue was I had to use the NX eagle cassette as it is the only eagle cassette that fits the standard shimano hub,other than that it works perfectly.
Why is NX cassette considered as issue?? SX Eagle cassette is also for Shimano freehub ...

Maybe I didnt ask clear enough.. I do know what parts I need to make it possible.
Main thing was that what kind of toughts 12spd vs 11spd?
Durability?
Gear ratio feelings vs 11spd?
Any issues on rides?
I have upgraded from 11sp to 12sp and regarding durability I don't see much of a difference. The main reason (beside 12sp being AXS) I have upgraded because of largest 50t cog vs 42t on 11sp which helps climbing long and steep climbs ...

Last edited:

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Any thoughs about maybe a bit higher cadence on 12spd?
Someone mentioned in some article that cadence maybe affect positively in battery drain.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Why is NX cassette considered as issue?? SX Eagle cassette is also for Shimano freegub ...

Yea, the issue I meant was if I wanted to use GX or above then I would have had to change the hub to an XD. However I prefer the longer lasting steel NX (or SX) in any case so the shimano hub was ideal.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Any thoughs about maybe a bit higher cadence on 12spd?
Someone mentioned in some article that cadence maybe affect positively in battery drain.
On most 11sp MTB cassettes largest cog is somewhere from 42-46t, while 12sp usually have 50-52t, so yes overall you can achieve higher cadences on 12sp. Also if you climb the same hill on 52t vs on 42t at same cadence you will use more power (be faster) on 42t while on 52t you will use less power (be slower) so 52t can defenetely helps to increase battery range a little bit ...

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
12spd fitted.
Works well but in 1,2,3 gears there are little rubbing sound, maybe because chainline?
No rubbing example chainguide ect.

Whats the best rear shock if I want to change it?
Or try the meg neg?

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
12spd fitted.
Works well but in 1,2,3 gears there are little rubbing sound, maybe because chainline?
No rubbing example chainguide ect.

Whats the best rear shock if I want to change it?
Or try the meg neg?
Im both inexperienced and unsure as to whether it was just better set up but I got a MEG Neg and 'swear' it made a big difference. Big difference in price on the 2 routes as well . I don't see what is the major loss in trying a MEG NEG.

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Out of interest, what rear guard do you have fitted there? Does anyone know?

I think! I’ve it fitted also and certainly keeps the linkage clean (ish)

ECD9A11C-B802-441A-AB46-107997B1165E.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles