Levo Gen 2 2020 Turbo Levo - changing inner & outer gear cable

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Gearchange is getting a bit sticky now after 3500 miles.

Service and Tech workbook seems to relate to installation before the motor is fitted, but not necessarily after. I've fitted a rear hose for Hope brakes using the SRAM barb but will this work on a gear cable? A video I saw suggested this alternative method :-

* cut the inner cable at the mech but leave in place at the lever
* pull the outer cable back through the frame from the mech end
* push the new outer cable from the mech end through the chainstay and then up through the frame to the lever using the inner as a guide
* remove the old inner cable from the lever end and replace with the new one, putting a new ferrule on the outer

Two issues come to mind. Firstly, will the new outer run through the frame without removing the shock and slackening the cable guides behind? Secondly, will the new outer cable snag on the cut end whilst pushing through the frame? Would it be better putting the new inner through the old outer first before pulling the old outer through to stop the inner snagging.

Am I on the right lines - anyone done this?

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I changed the inner last year and it didn't make much difference, presumably because there was no real corrosion or dirt. Now changed both inner and outer (Jagwire Pro) and it is now like a new bike again - very smooth and slick. You don't really notice the gradual deterioration over time until you experience what changing both cables can do. I would imagine that over time the inner sleeve of the outer cable gets a groove where there is any sharpish bend so resistance builds up.

The process using the asterisk approach above was quite straightforward and easy in the end.

BassNut

Aug 9, 2021
Norfolk
I binned my levo yesterday and it went down on its r\h side, scuffing the life out of the outer casing and the inner cable. Therefore I have to change both. So my question is on the same lines, can it be done without dropping the motor out? I got away with pulling a little more dropper post cable through a while back but it was a bit of a trial. Cant seem to find anything on T'internet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles