Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN
103A9D1A-17C2-4078-BAF9-F32AE95FB77F.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Rail is an as yet unannounced 2020 model with the new Bosch motor that was launched last week.

These are spy shots and Trek has as yet made no formal press release about their next year line up.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Ah, I see, thanks.
My LBS is getting both models in on the 8th August. I'm sure reviews will reveal all before that date.
That'll give me more time to save up (y)

Feb 23, 2019
New Jersey
Nice! I'm wondering what the 2019 Trek Powerfly 9.7 Carbon I just bought in April would be worth on trade in for this newer model. If there are any dealers near or in NJ that could chime in on this, I'm interested.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm not seeing anything there to tempt anyone who isn't a Trek fanboi and I say that as a Trek owner.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hopefully kona comes out with a new bike with a gen 4 Bosch. Should be more reasonably priced than trek. They can back to the short stays and have more standover than trek as well. Good on trek for putting the display in a sensible location though

Weegi

Dec 28, 2018
Stirling
Hopefully kona comes out with a new bike with a gen 4 Bosch. Should be more reasonably priced than trek. They can back to the short stays and have more standover than trek as well. Good on trek for putting the display in a sensible location though
Kona have moved to Shimano for 2020 and I’m afraid from what I can tell, the price has gone up..

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Kona have moved to Shimano for 2020 and I’m afraid from what I can tell, the price has gone up..
I'm ok with shimano but was hoping they may have something more affordable. That's too bad, their bikes fit me so well

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I'm ok with shimano but was hoping they may have something more affordable. That's too bad, their bikes fit me so well
Trek and Specialized are often overpriced. With Shimano you might try Norco or with Yamaha you might look at Haibike. It looks like Yamaha has the best range. They were first with electric motor for bikes.

Weegi

Dec 28, 2018
Stirling

Kona have dropped it down to a single 650b model this year, 160 travel .. price wise , in U.K. its going to be around £1000+ more.. around £5700 I believe from talking to a couple of dealers

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Kona have dropped it down to a single 650b model this year, 160 travel .. price wise , in U.K. its going to be around £1000+ more.. around £5700 I believe from talking to a couple of dealers
Damn, that is a bit of a jump. Thanks for that. Must be a full redesign, carbon internal battery etc

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
A new motor, but hardly unknown - Bosch have been the amongst the leaders in ebike motors for a long time now, and whilst the previous gen product wasn’t perfect (excess drag over 25kph, a bit big and heavy compared to younger competitors) it was well liked by owners and at least as reliable as the likes of Brose and Yamaha. Given how many urban ebikes are Bosch powered it’s probably fair to say they are the number one selling motor brand in the world.

Sure, the new CX could have an issue, but that’s true of any new product; key is what the manufacturer does in that instance, and I would back Bosch to address it far more than I would the Brose/Spec partnership. Their answer to a chronically unreliable product just seems to be jack up the purchase price, replace the motors annually under warranty and dine out on the “excellent customer service”... :unsure:.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A new motor, but hardly unknown - Bosch have been the amongst the leaders in evoke motors for a long time now, and whilst the previous gem product wasn’t perfect (excess drag over 25kph, a bit big and heavy compared to younger competitors) it was well liked by owners and at lest as reliable as the likes of Brose and Yamaha. Indeed given how many urban ebikes are Bosch powered it’s probably fair to say they are the number one selling motor brand in the world.

Sure, the new CX could have an issue, but that’s true of any new product; key is what the manufacturer does in that instance, and I would back Bosch to address it far more than I would the Brose/Spec partnership (their answer to a chronically unreliable product just seems to be jack up the purchase price, replace the motors annually under warranty and dine out on the “excellent customer service”... :unsure:;)).
Just to add to your points, the last generation Bosch motor, when it was launched, was a game changing product - they where the first company to make a motor that made EMTB's viable as we know them today, not only with the physical technology, but also with the software to make the motors not feel like an On/Off switch when riding - time caught up with it, and other brands entered the market, but no other company has the experience in the sector like Bosch, and by all resorts the new motor is a cracking unit.

Cinnamon

Mar 2, 2018
Somewhere
Perhaps Not that good...

The new Bosch does have a bit of a noise problem – not the typical noise of the motor humming under full load, but the coarse-toothed clunk of the chainring freewheel that produces a metallic sound when it engages and sounds almost like a clattering chain on rough downhills. As a result, eMTBs with a 2020 Bosch CX will be louder than most Shimano or Brose bikes, which sucks, because we all know how good a quiet bike feels!

Regrettably, there’s no way to adapt the motor characteristics to a specific bike concept either.

Goodbye tuning: new anti-tuning software detects motor tuning and manipulation via sensors while you’re riding which then automatically switches the motor into limp home mode

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Reports on the noise seem to be differing - have you ridden one? Most reports reiterate what you say, but defer on how loud or much of an issue it is

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Pipo, I assumed by your detailed description of the motor noise that you’ve ridden a 2020 Bosch motor, but as you don’t go on to describe the eMTB mode or latest de-coupling at 25kmh, I think you are just repeating a snippet from a comment on a YouTube video.

I think I’ll wait for the full tests, which must surely appear soon, as my dealer is expecting the bikes on 8th August, and Rob has gone quiet, so he might be at some launches about now?

The anti-tuning is not something that Bosch chose to do, it is European Type Approval law, so every manufacturer who intends selling in Europe, should be positively engineering against tuning. Whether after Brexit we are still signed up to this, I don’t know.

I’m looking forward to the proper reviews, when Pipo, you may be right.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles