2020 Spectral :ON carbon with coil shock?

DecoyD

Mar 2, 2020
USA
Does a coil shock fit on a 2020 Spectral:ON and newer frame? Any pics of newer frames with coil shock?
I know Canyon does not recommend coil on this bike.

FinEmtb

May 5, 2021
Fin
I installed Fox DHX2 on my medium frame to try it out. I really like the feel of a coil shock. I did first 30km loop today, and at first I ran through the travel pretty easily with very little compression damping (drops but not huge). Once I added more compression damping situation got much better, but more testing is needed to get a good feel of the bottom out resistance and ride feel. I might order cain creek progressive coil to try it out.
For reference I'm 75kg kitted and I have 400lb coil on.
Vitus%2BE-Sommet%2B2020_LevRatio.gif

When you install the shock, it needs to be mounted piggy bag towards the back of the bike due to tight fit. Otherwise when suspension compresses the coil meets top tube. Mounted this way wide part just fits in the recess under the top tube when compressed.
20210501_174431.jpg

20210501_180400.jpg

20210501_180344.jpg

FinEmtb

May 5, 2021
Fin
FOX says no.

I'm aware of this page and it raises few questions in my mind.

From Canyon bikes it lists Spectral model year 2020 and 2021, it does specify if it is Spectral 29, or 27.5. Also it does not specify Spectral:ON. Which one are they meaning, or all of them? I've been running Marzchocci Bomber CR for rough bike park riding for a year on my Spectral 27.5 with no problems.

Also there Torque model year 2021 listed. Torque:ON has only model year 2021, but for example Torque frame has been there since 2017 or 2018 I think, and even Canyon sells Torque with Öhlins coil shock. Strictly reading it is referring to year 2021 Torque, not the electric version, or last years models.

full_2021_torque-ltd-fw_2933_WH_P5.png

However I asked about this page from Fox and here's direct quote of their reply:
"Both Canyon and Fox have decided for safety reasons not to use coil shocks on the Spectral nor the Torque. This is out of an abundance of caution."

I have understood that many times the reason against running a coil is breaking the shock it self. Coil saft is a lot thinner compared to air, which results more load on the piston and o-rings in the shock. This can result to shock breaking early.

I see risk for safety and for bike breaking because running a coil quite small. What would be a worst case scenario?

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I believe it is because Canyon suspension strut is so long and the design may put the shock shaft under load, which would lead to excessive wear. Maybe Fox and Canyon are overly cautious. You would not really want to differ at the shock stroke (and overall length) for sure.

BTW, I have an aluminium frame bike and my shock info says "Description: 2020, FLOAT DPS, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Canyon, M64 - Spectral On, 230, 60, LCL, LRL, CML, Stealth Logo" So, in my shock all damping valving is "low". I think in this case I could very well run a coil, maybe even with a normal spring. The original ones had more progressive rear suspension kinematics. Sadly, I have not found the actual graphs. Canyon themselves say that 2020 ones had much more linear geometry.

It would be nice to learn what kind of valving the carbon frame shocks have.

FinEmtb

May 5, 2021
Fin
Canyon E-Bikes 2020

Over there you have more info about aluminium models.

Canyon%2BSpectral%2BON%2B2020_LevRatio.gif

Carbon model rockshox deluxe has LL tune meaning compression low, rebound low. Leverage curve is very similar with carbon and AL models, just bit more progression on AL model (26% on carbon vs. 30% on AL).

Spectral AL 27.5" has also very similar leverage curve with Spectral:ON AL and many people are happily running their natural Spectrals with a coil shock, including me.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Spectral AL 27.5" has also very similar leverage curve with Spectral:ON AL and many people are happily running their natural Spectrals with a coil shock, including me.

Thanks. As my DPS shock is badly in need of a full service, it looks like I'll be ordering a coil shock ASAP.

FinEmtb

May 5, 2021
Fin
I'll update this. I ended up taking the coil off and went back to air.
Only reason is my riding style where I'd like to have more bottom out resistance what coil could offer. I had hars bottom outs (after jumps), and I didn't like that, hence went back to air. Weight of the ebike also helps with small bumb sensitiveness, trails are quite flat so most of the riding is done around 25km/h limitter. So air works quite better at my riding. I didn't find as many benefits from a coil shock, as I found riding enduro tracks at bike parks with my analog bike on a coil shock..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles