Levo SL Gen 1 2020 Specialized Levo SL alloy custom build thread

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
After you’ve done the brushed finish how do you protect the raw alu?
Protect it from what mate?
Rawed this a few years back.
sunday_of_the_dead-jpg.122891

and it still looks exactly the same. if it's buffed to a highly polished finish you do need to re-buff them after a while. I don't really see any point as it's covered in mud/dust one run into every ride anyway.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It does depend on the grade of alu the frame's made from but most bike frame alloys won't be affected structural/strength/durability wise by being left raw.
Oxidisation is more of an issue by getting black muck on clothing in high rub areas than anything else really.
and that can be solved by just wearing black ;)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
It does depend on the grade of alu the frame's made from but most bike frame alloys won't be affected structural/strength/durability wise by being left raw.
Oxidisation is more of an issue by getting black muck on clothing in high rub areas than anything else really.
and that can be solved by just wearing black ;)

True dat. ?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Just wondering, unless I missed it, did we ascertain the weight of the standard alloy bike when it arrived? You’ve done a large right?

In my head the carbon version is around 18.2kg with tubes, no pedals (happy to be corrected on that too!).

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Just wondering, unless I missed it, did we ascertain the weight of the standard alloy bike when it arrived? You’ve done a large right?

In my head the carbon version is around 18.2kg with tubes, no pedals (happy to be corrected on that too!).

I can answer my own question. 19.1kg :)

@73Steff updates to the build welcome! ;)

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
@73Steff updates to the build welcome! ;)

Well I’ve couple of updates, one is new shock arrived, Push Eleven-Six, I might do a separate review on that as first one in UK I believe, fitted it to the Levo to test out and very impressive.
Second is that with all the Covid-19 stuff going on I’ve moved all bike stuff back home in preparation.
Took a while to move tools/parts etc back hence the pause, hopefully won’t be needed but had to set up a work space if it does so project can continue?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Good to see you’re able to carry on with this project during all this.

That’s a very fancy shock so will be interesting to see if it’s worth it for the ride (both price and weight).

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Good to see you’re able to carry on with this project during all this.

That’s a very fancy shock so will be interesting to see if it’s worth it for the ride (both price and weight).

I have had this TF Tuned customised ElevenSix on my Levo since late October last year. It came off my acoustic Nomad 3. TF Tuned were able to shorten the eye to eye to 210mm and the stroke to 55mm. After a couple of part changes to Fox bits, fettling and dyno testing it was returned and I have done approx 1000km on it. The 2 tunes configured are.... Flick the lever down for downhill and the rear becomes very active and hoovers up everything. Grip levels on the rear are something else and it loves rock gardens. Flick the lever up for uphill. This works very similar to the climb switch on the Cane Creek rear shocks.
Very happy with it and well worth getting it customised as it would still be sitting on my very unused Nomad 3.

BA000970-8CD3-4905-8551-66E49390A5AF.jpeg

664DEE3A-A2CE-47CF-BFCE-CAB277CF9E77.jpeg

zatorki

Mar 23, 2020
Poland
Hi there, does anyone know what is a weight difference between the SL Comp and SL Comp Carbon version? They have the same components and it seems from this topic that the difference may be higher than 1kg. I can hardly believe the frame weight difference is that high.

Looking forward for your respond as I'd ike to buy one.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Hi there, does anyone know what is a weight difference between the SL Comp and SL Comp Carbon version? They have the same components and it seems from this topic that the difference may be higher than 1kg. I can hardly believe the frame weight difference is that high.

Looking forward for your respond as I'd ike to buy one.

Thanks!

18.4kg vs 19.2kg (both tubes and no pedals, L) as I understand it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles