2020 Specialized levo/kenevo rumors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
If the new Kenevo came with 180mm boxxer how easy is it to convert to 200mm ?
A mate thinks they are all 200mm it's just the 180mm version comes with some spacer type thing you just remove and it becomes 200mm
Yep, I think the Trek Rail 9.7 if it came with a 180mm Boxxer and no TV Purion handlebar display would have been about right also. What do you think?

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Last year it was so amazing when the new 2019 Levo was about to be unveiled. All of a sudden, this site said “Something exciting is about to hapoen”, like the day before, then all of a sudden there it was on Specialized’s website. that same day all kinds of websites with Emtb experts showcased their reviews of the new bike they had been already riding for quite awhile under wraps. So amazing how they all kept it a secret until the release day. Will be a miracle if the dealers all of a sudden have heaps of 2020 Kenevo’s in stock in all sizes on Oct.1st and for under $6500k for a carbon front triangle with Boxxer. With some new 2020 motor also thats smaller and lighter than last years.

E-volution

Sep 10, 2019
South Africa
I can say depending where you live there are bikes already long since on their way Specialized Australia for example those bike long gone to be available early October.
The launch will be 2nd October and bikes will be available immediately, you wont launch it after an embargo with all this pent up interest then say sorry you can get the bike in December. The point of an embargo is exactly this interest then you release the bike and have available to sell.
That is also the point of a release date everyone has the stock.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Last year it was so amazing when the new 2019 Levo was about to be unveiled. All of a sudden, this site said “Something exciting is about to hapoen”, like the day before, then all of a sudden there it was on Specialized’s website. that same day all kinds of websites with Emtb experts showcased their reviews of the new bike they had been already riding for quite awhile under wraps. So amazing how they all kept it a secret until the release day. Will be a miracle if the dealers all of a sudden have heaps of 2020 Kenevo’s in stock in all sizes on Oct.1st and for under $6500k for a carbon front triangle with Boxxer. With some new 2020 motor also thats smaller and lighter than last years.
Same motor as the 2019 Levo aluminium frame.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Same motor as the 2019 Levo aluminium frame.

Compared to the new Bosch on the Trek Rail, tough decision. Would like to have a 180mm boxxer and nice coil rear like the kenevo should though. If they are going to release 2020 bikes they should have 2020 motors.

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I can say depending where you live there are bikes already long since on their way Specialized Australia for example those bike long gone to be available early October.
The launch will be 2nd October and bikes will be available immediately, you wont launch it after an embargo with all this pent up interest then say sorry you can get the bike in December. The point of an embargo is exactly this interest then you release the bike and have available to sell.
That is also the point of a release date everyone has the stock.
Yes I’m from Australia, that’s awesome bloody news!
I won’t be getting one as I couldn’t wait for one so I built my own DH Kenevo.
My brother on the other hand is hanging for one so excellent news!

E-volution

Sep 10, 2019
South Africa
I also have the current Kenevo and have ordered the new one but have to say it will have to be quite a bike to tempt me, the current bike does everything very well, XC, trail and moderate downhill, add a boxxer up front and its super capable downhill, I am suspicious that the new one will be a killer gravity machine at the expense of the rest. The new levo with 160 up front is too close to the current kenevo the new bike has to be more focused enduro/DH. Still looking forward to seeing the bike

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Didn't know there was a 2020 motor.
Yep, seems strange to have an old design motor in a new bike. Look how the other brands are enjoying new awesome frame designs this year thanks to the other newly updated smaller and lighter 2020 motors like Bosch (except its outdated monster ol’ 4k Purion cinima handlebar display).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yep, seems strange to have an old design motor in a new bike. Look how the other brands are enjoying new awesome frame designs this year thanks to the other newly updated smaller and lighter 2020 motors like Bosch (except its outdated monster ol’ 4k Purion cinima handlebar display).
It was a new motor last year, when they did the new frame.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its not an old motor its, the newer Brose same as the Levo 19/20, which in paper is still the best motor out of the main players in terms of stats.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
It was a new motor last year, when they did the new frame.
That’s what I say. It was a new motor in the past. Frame design can not hide an old big motor. New frames look sleeker and have more efficient designs due to smaller motors. The new motors are getting smaller and lighter which also makes the frame itself, because of the smaller design, more lighter.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Brose is a small motor, but the reason it looks big on the Levo is because they rotate it upwards to allow the battery to sit in front of it, which has huge benefits for weight distribution, as it get it all nice and low, this results in a big cover over the whole shabang.

96D12BB5-BBFF-4989-8C71-2DD180C4198F.jpeg

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
It's not strange at all.
I've got a 2 year old BMW with a B58 engine. The exact same engine in the brand new Toyota Supra.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
The Brose is a small motor, but the reason it looks big on the Levo is because they rotate it upwards to allow the battery to sit in front of it, which has huge benefits for weight distribution, as it get it all nice and low, this results in a big cover over the whole shabang.

View attachment 18815
Great info. I suspect the motor size/weight will come down fairly quickly but the battery weight reduction is a ways out. Just a guess, no actual sources.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Significant weight reduction with batteries is still a long term work in progress, and its unlikely we will see any great leap forward in the near future.

Likewise from here on I think weight reduction in motors is going to be pretty incremental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles