Article 2020 SPECIALIZED KENEVO

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Check out the all new 2020 Specialized Kenevo. All new geometry, new updated 2.1 Brose Motor (from the 2019 Levo), 700Wh battery, built for some big chunky stuff! Press play on the video above then read the Specialized Press Release below for more info.

Screenshot-2019-10-01-at-15.39.00-1024x974.jpg
Screenshot-2019-10-01-at-15.39.04-1024x660.jpg
Screenshot-2019-10-01-at-15.38.51-887x1024.jpg

Specialized Press Release:

THE ALL-NEW TURBO KENEVO

Let’s just call it what it is: The Turbo Kenevo is, hands-down, the most capable e-mountain bike to hit the dirt. You’re looking at 180 millimeters of supple suspension configured around a bomber chassis and decked out in components that take a beating.

This is a gnar-devouring, air-catching marvel. It’s also the bike that...

Continue reading...

Raknor

Jun 11, 2019
North East
Looks like a beast. The Comp looks awesome too.

Just spoke to my local dealer in the UK, Infinity Cycles. The comp will be available on the 10th of the month and are now taking orders. ⚡⚡

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Just read a review of the fork on the comp model.

I then went one step further and slid the fork into the monstrous Specialized Turbo Kenevo e-bike, a machine that weights 50lb, replacing the stock RockShox Lyrik RCT3 and pumping the Z1 to allow for the extra weight of the bike and get my sag right. It pretty much confirmed the Z1’s faults, the extra weight the e-bike carries exaggerates the usual fore and aft weight shift any bike experiences as you ride, and it really put pressure on the fork, overwhelming it on steep trails.

Makes ya think why did they spec this fork.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Thanks for the great video Rob.
I have mixed feelings:
- Lower BB: Great
- Slacker HA: Great
- Dual crown fork: Great
- More rearwards axle path: Great
- Lighter frame and motor: Great
- Bigger battery: Great
However:
- It seems a bit too long. In my opinion eBikes can be shorter than their mechanical counterparts, because the added low down mass adds stability. I don't think this bike will be playful like the old one, and it looks setup for pure speed.
- The BB isn't aggressive enough. With shorter cranks they could have gone lower (or added a lower rather than higher setting on the flip chip - which would help people when increasing fork travel or fitting a 29" front wheel).
- Should be 200mm!
- My girlfriend shreds on her Small 2018 Kenevo. With the increase in standover height and reach it's a real shame that there isn't a frame that would fit her on the 2020 model.
Oh and nearly forgot:
- No 29" front wheel in the year 2020???

Last edited:

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
Currently have a YT Decoy on order. What do people think compared to this new Kenevo?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Thanks for the great video Rob.
I have mixed feelings:
- Lower BB: Great
- Slacker HA: Great
- Dual crown fork: Great
- More rearwards axle path: Great
- Lighter frame and motor: Great
- Bigger battery: Great
However:
- It seems a bit too long. In my opinion eBikes can be shorter than their mechanical counterparts, because the added low down mass adds stability. I don't think this bike will be playful like the old one, and it looks setup for pure speed.
- The BB isn't aggressive enough. With shorter cranks they could have gone lower (or added a flip chip).
- Should be 200mm!
- My girlfriend shreds on her Small 2018 Kenevo. With the increase in standover height and reach it's a real shame that there isn't a frame that would fit her on the 2020 model.
Oh and nearly forgot:
- No 29" front wheel in the year 2020???
Agreed - I am 5ft 9 but not hugely strong and weigh just over 70kg, and I doubt I could effectively lift the front wheel on anything other than the small let alone bunny hop. Maybe for their target market this geo is bang on, but I suspect the vast majority of their buyers will be better off with a Levo. Certainly anyone shorter than 5ft 8 need not apply! I would take the Whyte E150 or E180 every time.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Finally I can talk about it!! It's so long, 520mm in S5, compared to my XL Levo that comes in at 480mm. No lighter than the outgoing model that is a shame... but bigger battery and fork will be the main culprit of that.

Its a big, burly bike, and I think for the majority of riding I do, its too much. But as a DH bomber, this looks like a great weapon, with the 700Wh battery, for some big days out.

Silverfox101010

Jan 22, 2019
Pa55word
Would love to do a side by side of the old bike with 40's and the new, I reckon the old would be victorious in every situation!!

Think about it a frame design with about 5 years r&d so a frame design in its absolute peak against a stretched out trail bike!!
,hmm I have my doubts

Old frame cradle design for engine (used on moto)
New couple of bolts!!!
I'll await some proper ride reviews and if ever produced some technical to back these claims

More like quick get shortened boxxers on a trail bike and we'll make a killing!!

Silverfox101010

Jan 22, 2019
Pa55word
I guess I'll be rebuilding my battery with bigger cells!!
Anyone know if the new engine has the same mounting holes as the original I know casing etc would be different but just wondering???

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Anyone know if the new engine has the same mounting holes as the original I know casing etc would be different but just wondering???

We partly discussed this in a thread a few weeks ago and no. the levo 2.1 motor has different bolt patterns. Someone then pointed out though that there are 2 different 2.1 motors and they have different bolt patterns. So possibly ..

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Can someone please explain the new reach figures?! Seems crazy long to me.

Comparing the geo charts to my current bike (which fits like a glove - large Santa Cruz 5010 V2), I would be going for the smallest S2 size at 6ft tall!

Has someone at Specialized made a mistake with the chart or am I stuck in the dark ages?

Sounds like anyone looking for the slightest bit of ‘chuckability’ from their bike should go elsewhere...

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest

Comparing the geo charts to my current bike (which fits like a glove - large Santa Cruz 5010 V2), I would be going for the smallest S2 size at 6ft tall!

Has someone at Specialized made a mistake with the chart or am I stuck in the dark ages?
Sounds like anyone looking for the slightest bit of ‘chuckability’ from their bike should go elsewhere...

same here... i don't get it yet. But maybe.. just maybe, the "reach" on the paper seems longer than it really is, because of the slacker head angle and a more rised bar? So in fact the grips might not be that far away as the "reach" values let them appear? But i have no clue.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK

same here... i don't get it yet. But maybe.. just maybe, the "reach" on the paper seems longer than it really is, because of the slacker head angle and a more rised bar? So in fact the grips might not be that far away as the "reach" values let them appear? But i have no clue.
The steeper seat angle will mean that reach does not feel quite as big as it looks on paper, but the S4 and S5 are still enormously long, not far off the L and XL Pole Machines!

https://polebicycles.com/polestore/product/machine/#geometry

Can’t wait to hear what @Gary thinks of this one - popcorn at the ready...;)

Last edited:

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey

Finally a bike long enough for Paul Aston... shame he quit.
I don't know how you manual or lift the front wheel over obstacles with 24kg and 454mm chainstays?

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Finally a bike long enough for Paul Aston... shame he quit.
He now works for Nicolai. They make long bikes! And he told me he thinks that everyone else will play catch up to Nicolai over the next few years and make long(er) bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles