2020 Rocky Mountain Growler Powerplay 10 Review and Upgrades

Hankj

Feb 22, 2021
Seattle
Hello EMTBers

I purchased a 2020 Rocky Mountain Growler Powerplay 10 on closeout in Feb 2021 for USD $2300 tax included. Pandemic EMTB madness made it quite difficult to ferret out a bargain, or even to find a bike at all so I'm happy with the deal.

Last edited:

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Nice review.
my buddy has a powerplay FS and he needs to put way more effort in compared to my Bosch trek rail.
last ride we did on a really cold day with very resistant snowy terrain I finished with 15% battery and he had 52%.Both of were using highest power mode. He is in better shape than me though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nice - we dont get he growler over here which is a shame - can you post up some pics?

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Nice review.
my buddy has a powerplay FS and he needs to put way more effort in compared to my Bosch trek rail.
last ride we did on a really cold day with very resistant snowy terrain I finished with 15% battery and he had 52%.Both of were using highest power mode. He is in better shape than me though.
Update. He recalibrated his powerplay and reports that the motor is more willing to kick in now.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Update. He recalibrated his powerplay and reports that the motor is more willing to kick in now.
Before i read your comment i was just about to suggest to calibrate the torque sensor. Rocky recommends to do this regularly - it takes less than 10 seconds - i do it just about every time i ride it.

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
I have that same bike; but for me, not my kid. I dont disagree with your comments but Ive been a little more stoked on the bike than you have been so I thought I'd add a couple quick notes of my own. It is very heavy; Ill give you that - and I concur about the front fork being garbage; mine came with a Rock Shox Sektor and I swapped it for a Fox 36; even that has more flex than I like on a hardtail; I wish Id had a chance to go with a 38. I also swapped out the brakes and went with 4 pot xt. I thought the stock ones were ok for an entry level bike, but just not quite crisp enough for aggressive trail riding. Although it has massive tires (2.8) I dont find it to be vague or numb though; I actually find it rides a lot like a stout bmx. I just dont think any hardtail carrying a battery and motor made much lighter would last very long if its being trail ridden. Anyone know what the Norco hardtail ebikes weigh?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles