2020 Reign | Perfection?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Wow, Yeah the Reign is really another level up from the Trance. Certainly more E-bike than i need =). Really enjoying my Trance 2 (just went tubeless today, first time!)

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
been riding Reigns for years and the new Reign e is an enticing well specced beast and it is a big beast ...in the flesh it is rather spectacular , for now l'm waiting on the Kenevo before committing to purchase.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes the Reigns are a serious piece of machinery. I wonder if they'll seduce the new Trance buyers across. I bought an analogue Trance rather than the Reign due to the lesser climbing ability of the Reign - however now with some assistance on them......

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Dull colours and a high price tag.

The factory range extender battery is a good sign though. Hopefully more brands will follow suit.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Looks nice, but unfortunately Maestro suspension plus that PW-X motor means long chainstays at 470mm. It also has that low Giant front end which as a relative beginner I didn’t really like when I test rode the Trance. Obviously a riser bar can help there, but I suspect most buyers would like a touch more stack out of the box.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
As a Trance owner, I can say I do find the Reign interesting. This PRO-1 looks good to me, and is about $500 more than similarly spec'd Trance. The long chain stays no longer bother me, I have two bikes with shorter chain stays, and neither climb as well as the Trance.

Geometry Geeks

Comparing the geometry on the two bikes, the Reign has a taller stack, longer reach, steeper seat, slacker steering, shorter cranks (with the same BB drop) and of course its longer wheel base. To me, all of this looks good, even for trail riding except the slack steering.

The better seal on the battery compartment is much welcomed.

Very excited to get a ride on one.
1569022852060.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Looking at the specs of the pro-1, I noticed...
Cassette Shimano HG-M7100, 11-51T, 12-Speed

Is this a typo? I thought the new 12 speed Shimano all had 10T small cog?

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
To bad. Why not just go with the standard 10-51T 12 speed that can be bought everywhere shimano kit is sold?

It's almost as if Gaint doesn't like these new hub standards (XD and Micro Spline)?

Even the $8500 Pro-0 fails to exploit the latest available options, and XD isn't exactly new.

I'm not the sharpest hammer in the kit, maybe somebody else knows why gaint doesn't like 10T cogs.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
This bike looks perfect for me. Was holding out for a 2020 Kenevo but its £5,500 with a Marzocchi fork or £6,900 with dual crown boxxers ☹️

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
It 10-51T, if its a CS-M7100...CS-M7100-12
That's what thought, based on what I can find online... but there it is in the screen shot above from Eduardo and the US listing for the same.
Given this is on Giant hubs according to that spec sheet and they have not licensed (or more likely not been invited to license) micro spline from Shimano yet I suspect the 11-51 cassette must be the correct one.

Who makes Micro Spline wheelsets and hubs for Shimano 12-speed groupsets?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...having said that there still must be something wrong on that spec sheet; I can’t see anything online about any Shimano 12 speed cassette built on an XD hub. My guess would be they have gone with a Sunrace or similar but omitted that info, maybe in error or maybe because they know a big part of the Shimano 12 speed marketing is that Hyperglide cassette.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Interesting?. This was copied from your link above.
""Hope Technology
Hope had this to say: "We have been talking with Shimano ever since the new standard was announced. They stated that they would only offer it to OEM hub manufacturers and the hubs must be branded with the bike manufacturers name. They would not release the licence to aftermarket hub manufacturers.""
End of quote

Do we know for sure Gaint can't use micro-spline? Sounds like Shimano is currently forcing a rebrand from OEM's like Giant to Shimanos licensed partners. I could be reading it all wrong.

I read in a few post on other Forum that Giant has rebranded DT Swiss internals on some bikes.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
So the pro1 is either a 10-51T, using a rebranded hub that says Gaint, and there is a typo in the spec sheets.

OR

The spec sheet is somewhat correct (Gaint can count teeth, but not copy part numbers) and the cassette is 11-51T.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles