2020 - Meta Power

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Might as well get the discounted retro/external battery bike, you will be no slower and it will ride just as well. Save the extra pennies for a 600wh battery at the end of 2020 - that’s my plan anyway.

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
Yeah the Norco battery made me wonder what might be coming for Shimano internal setups.

If it's true that the '20 Commencal won't be compatible then that disappoints me greatly and I'll just hold on to my '19 until '21 or something better comes along. I really want the ability to run a 500 and 700+ on the same bike. Would be fine with just one 700+ also but ideally would have a small and large battery.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
The new bike looks great but it’s only really providing aesthetics compared to the outgoing model. I’m keen for Shimano to bring out some bigger batteries soon, although my bank balance isn’t!

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Yeah the Norco battery made me wonder what might be coming for Shimano internal setups.

If it's true that the '20 Commencal won't be compatible then that disappoints me greatly and I'll just hold on to my '19 until '21 or something better comes along. I really want the ability to run a 500 and 700+ on the same bike. Would be fine with just one 700+ also but ideally would have a small and large battery.

You can trust me at 100%, if the customer representative told me the true. When you phone to Commencal, in Andorra, you can speak (at least in French) to Eric, a really nice guy, very technical, who know very well bikes in general. I asked for an updated battery from Shimano. When the 2020 Meta power was realeased, many people was wondering about a high capacity battery, like the YT decoy will have. 3 weeks ago, it was pretty sure it was compatible. Today, when I asked for more, et told me the new battery will be a bit too long, and wouldn't fit the frame. Feel free to give a call if you want to confirm my speech.

If I'm buying an ebike, it's for at least 3 years, or 4 or 5. Battery will increase by the same time, so it would be great if I could buy a bike right now, and simply update the battery in 2 or 3 years for example. As it, I will keep my bike longer.

So, for now - and if it's true-, Commencal is not my first choice (it was in my top three).

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
Really like that!

But I agree with @Doomanic its a shame that for folks who would like a bigger battery that many of the new 2020 Shimano bikes won't come with anything bigger than a 500Wh.

500Wh is the sweet spot of energy for eMTBs. For most rides its enough, for long rides you can easily take a second and you have 1000Wh!
700Wh is sometimes too much and for long rides its difficult to take a second battery.

250, 375Wh may be to low on your evening ride.

i sold my 650Wh Brose and im happy to have more flexibility with new Shimano 500/1000Wh 8035.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Would be cool if Commencal released a 250wh "Booster" pack that you could stash in your pack for when you go on long rides.
I've been googling to find out if there is a booster pack for Shimano, which I apparently didn't have any luck in doing.
I tend to agree with @wildsau2 on the compromise in range vs. weight of the 500Wh, but a booster could be nice for the days with a load of climb or long haul.

Jack AUS

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Got word a few days ago that the Power SX has been delayed by a couple of weeks. Second half of September is the new ETA for Australia. I’m looking forward to seeing some more info online about them soon. There seems to be nothing on the net besides what was released by Commencal.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Noticed the new bikes are heavier, I guess that’s the price for a sexy internal battery! Shimano need to pull there finger out and bring out some higher capacity batteries.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I really wish we had more info on the SX, since announcment there's been VERY little! Now considering the Propain Ekano.
Embn talked about it. They made it sound like thered be a feature on it soon and/or maybe they were testing it. That was a couple weeks ago. I thought the vid would be out by now. Last i checked it was mid september release in canada. I couldnt wait so snapped up the decoy

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
I really wish we had more info on the SX, since announcment there's been VERY little! Now considering the Propain Ekano.
Nice bike, love all the customising you can have on the website but its not that we'll know brand in the UK. As they say on embn why wait for the next best thing, just buy one a go riding. I bought the meta power race instead of waiting on a yt decoy and I've had so much fun just riding I'm glad I didn't wait.

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
Did you buy the 2020 or the 2019 model?
2019 and never had the smile of my face.

IMG_20190711_161727968_HDR.jpg

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Embn talked about it. They made it sound like thered be a feature on it soon and/or maybe they were testing it. That was a couple weeks ago. I thought the vid would be out by now. Last i checked it was mid september release in canada. I couldnt wait so snapped up the decoy
I liked that bike too just didn't want to wait that long for release. Glad I got a Decoy too. I'm sure it will be a great bike.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I liked that bike too just didn't want to wait that long for release. Glad I got a Decoy too. I'm sure it will be a great bike.
I dont think the sx would fit me quite as good as the decoy. I really like the standover on my decoy but then i wish i had the 180 fork of the sx. Soo many new options since my post though. Id like to try the kona. Ive always liked short stays but what is short for an emtb? I still havent figured exactly where i want it to be on an emtb for my perfect fit. I need to do more long sufferfests to beat it home i think

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles