2020 - Meta Power

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Just wishful thinking here, but it's too bad none of the bigger brands worth buying sell a "frame/battery" only option.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Just ordered the 27.5 2019 Race version.. was so tempted to order the new one but didn't want the wait till september for it, and the SX looks a bit too DH orientated and I'm not sold on 29'rs, but got to admit they look amazing.

I'm doing the same as soon as my property sale goes through. Mon the Commencal.
Let us know how you find it.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I’ve definitely become a bit of a brand fan boy since picking mine up. Charges, pops, reliable and amazing value.

I'm on my 4th Commencal, but I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I've been a repeat customer because they are good, race proven bikes that usually have good value in terms of build spec, on top of that the before/after purchase customer service for me has always been great (I got to know a few of the USA staff when they were based in SoCal, cool guys for sure in my book). If anything I'm a fan of the Riding Addiction DH team, so I guess owning a Commencal bike goes hand in hand =)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I made an animation just for fun. The image is showing aproximately where I believe the COG for the battery is. And the photos are centered around the crank. As we can see the battery COG is further forward for the 2020, but horizontal distance to crank appears to be about the same. But if you consider COG relative to the hubs, adjusted for sag, then who knows, maybe the 2020 wins. That might be what Commencal is saying.

View attachment 15306

Edit: Coming to think of it... the claim of lower COG could be compared to the old BT8020. They never made a bike with that battery, possibly because the COG would be to high. But now that the BT8035 is here, they are able to make an internal battery frame with a lower COG.
Nice - I actually think they will have been able to get the cog down a tad due to the the fact the new internal battery sits lower in the down tube, and no further up it than the old one. Still interested to see what the weight is, and if it has gone up

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
I was excited on the new 2020 29er until I got the price. I was hoping a bigger Gap in price compared to the Decoy. Keeping my Decoy order.

vham777

Oct 8, 2018
Switzerland
@06z this is what they do when new stuff comes... i also ordered my power 29 2018s right when it came out, and it was about € 5499, then as soon as they announced some different models the price was dropping quite a lot. they try to get some good benefit of the really keen commencal fans (like me) and then drop the prices. if you compare to the EKANO or Decoy, the definitely will need to drop it a bit

Reactions: 06z

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I made an animation just for fun. The image is showing aproximately where I believe the COG for the battery is. And the photos are centered around the crank. As we can see the battery COG is further forward for the 2020, but horizontal distance to crank appears to be about the same. But if you consider COG relative to the hubs, adjusted for sag, then who knows, maybe the 2020 wins. That might be what Commencal is saying.

View attachment 15306

Edit: Coming to think of it... the claim of lower COG could be compared to the old BT8020. They never made a bike with that battery, possibly because the COG would be to high. But now that the BT8035 is here, they are able to make an internal battery frame with a lower COG.
That’s interesting, but in my opinion the higher COG of the 2020 is clearly visible. The motor tilted more down in the 2019, the COG is determined from the ground and in your gif the wheels are not level. Nobody will check the words of the marketing guys, they are going with the trend of the more fashionable integrated battery that’s all. In my opinion, it doesn’t offer any practical benefits over the external and with the announcement I would rather pick up a discounted 2019 version.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I does come with 170mm fork and 155mm rear travel(compared to 150/140mm) so I think there are tangible differences between the old and new. Plus you can mount a water bottle!

That’s interesting, but in my opinion the higher COG of the 2020 is clearly visible. The motor tilted more down in the 2019, the COG is determined from the ground and in your gif the wheels are not level. Nobody will check the words of the marketing guys, they are going with the trend of the more fashionable integrated battery that’s all. In my opinion, it doesn’t offer any practical benefits over the external and with the announcement I would rather pick up a discounted 2019 version.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Bigger pivot bearings, better motor protector, more chain rub protection, slacker head angle, longer reach, steeper seat angle. They've gone over their bikes with a fine tooth comb. Wouldn't the battery being in the downtube lower the cog enough over on top of the downtube cover for the fact that the top end of the battery extends a bit higher?
It's the first bike(sx) that the only thing that I'd change are ez changes, and the least amount of changes on a bike option so far. Personal preference contact points(tires,inserts, stem length). Geo is dialed for me

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
Yep. Pretty awesome new design. I hope they come out with a coil 29er model. I love my '19 Meta Power race 29.

They've updated geometry to be much better and the in triangle water bottle mount is huge.

Only thing it's missing is a bigger capacity battery. 500Wh is big enough for most rides but does not support big epics, at least here in CO. Having to carry a huge battery is a weak solution but I do realize doable. Not my preference to ride with much weight on the body let alone a huge battery though.

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
I think they are preparing to release more models... They just split the categories on their website from a combined 2019/2020 to two separate areas, though the already announced 2020 is still under 2019... Watch this space.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I would like the ability to swap between 500 and 700, but 500 is fine for 95% of my riding. I’m guessing when Shimano bring out a bigger battery it will require a larger battery compartment, meaning further updates.

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
Not necessarily re size... Others will be able to speak to the technicalities more than me, but surely they could just use different cells with higher capacity, in the same battery pack. I think that's what they've done with the turbo levo?

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
I have not researched battery tech enough to be able to speak to sizing and capacity but I do know that the cells Shimano is using are not considered new in terms of battery technology. That was one of the things about the YT Decoy is that they were using newer cells.

Personally I think Shimano needs to release a higher capacity battery to remain competitive. Even though 500Wh is plenty for most rides, it isn't for big rides and once people realize where and how far emtbs can go they will want more capacity.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Not necessarily re size... Others will be able to speak to the technicalities more than me, but surely they could just use different cells with higher capacity, in the same battery pack. I think that's what they've done with the turbo levo?
Yes, apparently so... I suspect there is still some empty space in the 500Wh pack though.

"To power that motor, Specialized offers not one, but two new batteries. If their tagline is “the power to ride more trails,” you can’t do that without an efficient motor and big batteries. While the smaller battery is still the same 500Wh, the higher end bikes ship with a new 700Wh battery that allows for a crazy 40% increase in range. The new 700Wh battery is possible thanks to the use of a 21700 cell which is probably what you’ll find inside of a Tesla battery. Specialized didn’t make this claim, only stating that it’s the same cell that has become popular with electric car brands. These 40 cells are packaged in the same sized battery housing, though the 700Wh battery is 750g heavier. Even though the batteries have more capacity, Specialized was able to make the down tubes smaller in circumference."

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Funnily enough I think it’s a perfect bike for the Surrey Hills. I find that my Vitus E-Sommet is way more bike than needed round here, but a lot of fun none the less, and a bike like the 2020 Commie 29,r is pretty much my ideal bike for local riding ( I am based in Surrey Hills)

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
@R120 do you know of a Commy dealer in our neck of our woods.

I'm a habitual 29er rider, not sure I'm up for jumping to 650b so I like the look of this one.

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
@Jamsxr got his from a UK dealer

"Monday/Tuesday (29 Signature) i think. I ordered it from a shop in the U.K. (Bike Active) - they matched the discount and will support any warranty issues. "

I went direct.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
@Jamsxr got his from a UK dealer

"Monday/Tuesday (29 Signature) i think. I ordered it from a shop in the U.K. (Bike Active) - they matched the discount and will support any warranty issues. "

I went direct.

Correct. The bike has received 2 months of abuse and done around 750km, so far it’s been solid.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I think with D2C brands, unless you’re lucky, you will have to pull the trigger without a test ride.

I’ve now bought a YT and Commencal without trying the bikes, I couldn’t be happier with them.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I'm considering ordering the Meta Power 29 Team - the only thing I'm unsure of is the ride feeling having the power assist, as I'm used to a self propelled 27,5 Meta AM. I suppose the E8000 pedalling feeling will be similar no matter which bike. As I understand the engine is fully decoupled when pedalling beyond the 25kph limit unlike the Bosch. I think the size XL will fit me perfectly with the nice long reach.
I've had no issues buying D2C brands, first a Canyon, and then two Commencal bikes, so the engine is the only thing I need to try out before placing an order.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Be careful: the "future" +600wh Shimano battery will not be compatible with the Commencal Power 29 2020. (Source: commencal tech support). What a shame, it means next year bike will be with new shimano increased battery, I guess...

Gee

Jun 20, 2019
South Wales
I got mine from BikeActive too. Matched the web price.

Bike delivery was delayed due to someones error somewhere, but it was eventaly diverted to me rather than being delivered to the shop (as they were going away on holiday).

No issues with the bike at all, packaged perfect etc.. Bombed it around Cwmcarn on Sunday and will be doing the same at Afan or BPW on Friday. Just cant stop riding the bloody thing.

Will be ringing BikeActive on Thursday as its been a month of asking, but still waiting to receive my receipt so I can insure it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Be careful: the "future" +600wh Shimano battery will not be compatible with the Commencal Power 29 2020. (Source: commencal tech support). What a shame, it means next year bike will be with new shimano increased battery, I guess...
Where did you hear about 600wh battery?

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
A bit everywhere... especially on Velovert.com forum. Some guys said Shimano will introduce a new high capacity battery, like on the Norco.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles