2020 - Meta Power

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
I rode my SX yesterday , it was good !
The more I ride it the more I get on with it , a very capable bike throwing harsh hits at it the better it goes . Nimble and awesome grip on climbs , running the stock spring helps the rear stick to the trail without bumping up and over rocks loosing traction .The ASSGAI super soft compound on the rear is just about worn out though after 250 km we have sharp harsh sandstone here in Australia .

Swapped with a mate who was test riding a new Kenevo very similar geo but I still prefer the SX it has same 64 head angle and coil shock only better thing IMO it has the super low ungusseted seat tube enabling unencumbered down hill territory geo for decent fantastic!
I will never go back to an air shock though give me spring soooo much better, more pop off the top no over damping and harsh bottom out .
If I wasn't so happy with the forks (post token insertion) I would try the new Marzoc coil fork but these forks just gobble up every harsh hit i throw at them .
Thank you Commencal not only one of the best looking ebikes but backs it up with performance .

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Nice bike.

Have you done a range test? how far do you think you could go on one battery?
I'm looking at the signature edition meta power, just curious how far that Shimano battery will propel you on a long bike ride.
The last longish ride I did was 40 km there was still one bar left , sorry I can't remember what the range left was . The ride was mostly in trail with a couple of full power boosts .
The 500 battery is more than enough IMO , unless your doing all day multiple climbs like in Europe but for me at least 2-3 hours is more than enough riding .For what we ride here in Australia I just don't see the necessity for big battery's .

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Nice bike.

Have you done a range test? how far do you think you could go on one battery?
I'm looking at the signature edition meta power, just curious how far that Shimano battery will propel you on a long bike ride.
Range is a difficult question - I myself asked in this forum before being an eMTB owner. My riding terrain is not mountains but a load of hills, so a “long” grind to the top is usually not more than vertical 75 meters. However on a full ride it can get to 1000 meters on a distance of 25 - 30 km’s. I’ve only once managed to use all the range, which was 1000 meters of climb on a two rides of a total of 30 km, pushing it in trail mode. Usually I get 1000 meters / 30 km’s in trail mode running down to 30-40% range left. It of course depends on your settings, but my settings are 90% assist on 70Nm in trail mode, I have a little less in eco mode, which is 50% assist on 50Nm, I rarely use boost mode, but I could turn it somewhat down as with the other settings to get another useful setting. According to the Steps system itself is claims 85 km I eco mode, 65 in trail and 45 in boost, but I suspect they are pretty optimistc. By the way I have an EU restricted version of the 2020 Teams model.

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Range is a difficult question - I myself asked in this forum before being an eMTB owner. My riding terrain is not mountains but a load of hills, so a “long” grind to the top is usually not more than vertical 75 meters. However on a full ride it can get to 1000 meters on a distance of 25 - 30 km’s. I’ve only once managed to use all the range, which was 1000 meters of climb on a two rides of a total of 30 km, pushing it in trail mode. Usually I get 1000 meters / 30 km’s in trail mode running down to 30-40% range left. It of course depends on your settings, but my settings are 90% assist on 70Nm in trail mode, I have a little less in eco mode, which is 50% assist on 50Nm, I rarely use boost mode, but I could turn it somewhat down as with the other settings to get another useful setting. According to the Steps system itself is claims 85 km I eco mode, 65 in trail and 45 in boost, but I suspect they are pretty optimistc. By the way I have an EU restricted version of the 2020 Teams model.

Thanks for that mate.

Demo rode a Levo Comp with the 7000 battery, did 2000M Vert & 61km was amazing.

Commencal so much more bike for your money compared to a levo.

Thanks again

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Thanks for that mate.

Demo rode a Levo Comp with the 7000 battery, did 2000M Vert & 61km was amazing.

Commencal so much more bike for your money compared to a levo.

Thanks again
You’re quite right that you get much more bike for your money on the Commencal, and i reckon you won’t be disappointe. As you’d see in an earlier post from me, it won the “Best value” in competition with the Levo S-works which won for the best eMTB.
See The best eMTB of 2020: We’ve compared 25 eMTBs in our biggest group test ever | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
You’re quite right that you get much more bike for your money on the Commencal, and i reckon you won’t be disappointe. As you’d see in an earlier post from me, it won the “Best value” in in competition with the Levo S-works which won for the best eMTB.
See The best eMTB of 2020: We’ve compared 25 eMTBs in our biggest group test ever | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine
Would have to agree. If anybody asks me, right now I recommend this bike as possibly, arguably the best value quality emtb available in Australia.
20METAPW29E_2000.jpg

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Fitted this bike yoke a month a two ago and it really has made the gear changing so much more consistent when the bike absolutely shite up during winter rides,think it was trail Niels that mentioned it,thanks?
CE87E6BA-C0DC-4D35-B0C6-9827E1D994F6.jpeg

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Haven’t been out properly for over two weeks as the weather and family things hasn’t been great,managed to get a few hours today to give the beast a bit of maintenance and some new parts,haven’t properly cleaned the show bits of the bike but cleaned and lubed the transmission brakes pivots etc,also removed a lot of sludge out of the seat tube which I’ve now put some old inner tube over to hopefully reduce this,fitted new front Mudhugger shorty guard as the last one was stopping the fork travel by 20mm,fitted a new 35mm reach stem and some new hopefully stronger stamp pedals as my ride Alfa ones have had a hard life?might invest in a 200mm SRAM centreline rotor as the cleanscreech avid one is scored and been straightened so many times!
6C289B26-85B9-49B6-A1C7-B80A724309E2.jpeg
558D6A96-EB94-4BCA-AF31-107E1A137929.jpeg
6DA181F2-2239-4AF9-9BC1-CF54015470A2.jpeg
8384F458-94DD-4772-90DF-9826E376E944.jpeg
4712F6F6-EEB3-4413-BC83-0103352405DC.jpeg
8318820C-BE7D-4333-A035-B25D0CFB2BDF.jpeg
8DE3EEED-B3AE-42A8-B2D5-AF874EE69FEC.jpeg

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Haven’t been out properly for over two weeks as the weather and family things hasn’t been great,managed to get a few hours today to give the beast a bit of maintenance and some new parts,haven’t properly cleaned the show bits of the bike but cleaned and lubed the transmission brakes pivots etc,also removed a lot of sludge out of the seat tube which I’ve now put some old inner tube over to hopefully reduce this,fitted new front Mudhugger shorty guard as the last one was stopping the fork travel by 20mm,fitted a new 35mm reach stem and some new hopefully stronger stamp pedals as my ride Alfa ones have had a hard life?might invest in a 200mm SRAM centreline rotor as the cleanscreech avid one is scored and been straightened so many times!
View attachment 26307 View attachment 26309 View attachment 26310 View attachment 26311 View attachment 26312 View attachment 26313 View attachment 26314
Funny, I got the exact same 35mm Horizon stem, only mine is red to go with the red pedals and fork ;)

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Funny, I got the exact same 35mm Horizon stem, only mine is red to go with the red pedals and fork ;)
I was so tempted in red myself I ended up tossing a coin because I wasn’t getting anywhere with my decision making?the Mech mod is great because I can now remove it to clean?

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
View attachment 26384 View attachment 26385
Might try and sand and straighten this one for a spare,hope the centreline stays true for longer?
I’ve been running centerline rotors for ages on my analogue bike, the are great - and have stayed true (y)
I might throw centerline rotors on the Meta Power as well - in 220 mm. Hope Commencal soon gets the rear 220 adapter on the shelf, it’s in the spare parts list, but it’s not on sale :unsure:

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Okay , but the geo would be off hook its already really slack .
How is it after landing big jumps , does it want to go off line ?
I know when I had an analog META I put longer travel forks on it and it was really sketchy landing jumps I always ended up off the trail in the bush LOL

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
put a lyrik 170mm 42 offset 29er fork on. using my phone angle app, the HA reads 63 deg. the bottom bracket clearance from ground to very bottom of motor was 11 inch and went to 12" with 29 wheel on. I didn't get a lot of BB hits but a few jarring ones. an 11" bb is by far the lowest I've ever had on a bike. nice to raise it a bit.

I ride very steep home made technical trails that have logging road climbs up. few drops around 3' to 4' . some jumps but mostly steep chutes. I love how the front feels with the 29 wheel/fork. much more confident and handles big hits better. I will test it on mellower trails eventually but I'm confident it will excell here too. I didn't see myself going back to 27.5 front wheel.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Demo booked in for next Friday, 2020 Meta power team 29. See how the beast compares to the levo, quite excited.

Iv had the 19 levo and been on the meta team for 3 months ... Levo is a better all-rounder and sometimes wish I kept it.. but point the meta downhill and it shines ? it's much more stable and can be ridden alot harder ....not as efficient (battery/motor) as the levo also not as good uphill or climbing grip etc

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Never tried a Levo, could be nice if you could give a short comparison, not that I’d give up my 2020 Meta Power Team ;)

Got to demo the Meta power 29, my friend demoed a Levo at the same time which makes for a good comparison.

On the climbs the bikes were evenly matched, I liked the little display the Shimano system has, motor noise is louder but it didn’t bother me at all, we climbed up a mix of steep fire road and single track, I kept the meta in trail for 90% of the ride.

On the downhill is where the Meta comes alive, this bike rips, we rode a good mix of trails, steep / flow / jump lines, the meta ate it all up, bike felt like my Transition Patrol, didn’t feel like an ebike at all.
My friend on the Levo wasn’t having so much fun, the model was specd with brakes from SRAMs disappointment series, guide r which have the clamping power of an elderly relative holding your hand & NX group set that has more flex than a Russian gymnast on gear, (I’m a Shimano fan)

We rode 6 laps of Victoria Park NZ, both bikes had 500wh batteries, the Levo noticeably lost power near the end of its battery, the meta kept its power right to the end.
We did 16 km and 1166 vertical metres, climbs are steep hence the poor battery range & we kept the bikes in turbo / trail since rain was on the way.

End result, Meta wins over the Levo, perfect for downhill runs, as a trail bike for bigger rides, I’m unsure, would need more time on the bike.

So I’m down to either the Meta Signature or Trek Rail 9.8

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
So.. I've done some changes to the bike.

- Vented brake pads
- Marshguards front + rear
- Lezyne ebike micro drive 500 front light
- USB chargeable rear light
- Second wheelset for tarmac/road (DT-Swiss X1900)

Road wheelset is fitted with Schwalbe Energizer Plus 2.15 tyres. I do know the bike is made for enduro purposes, but to be honest; with the front + rear suspension locked, it makes a pretty decent road bike too. Since then, i've been also using this bike with the second wheelset for trips to work and back. I can get 60+ km out of the battery on road trips.

Done 1000 km's with the GX chain. It does show some 0.75 markings. Also the smallest gear on the casette "skips" sometimes due to the wear. The GX cassete is now on the road set and I've bought an XX1 rainbow casette for the MTB set. Ordered a new XX1 rainbow chain too.

To be honest; Don't buy a XX1 casette, it's not worth the money. The weight saving are not noticeable on this (or any) ebike. The added value of buying a XX1 chain is certainly there.

IMG_7205.jpeg

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Got to demo the Meta power 29, my friend demoed a Levo at the same time which makes for a good comparison.

On the climbs the bikes were evenly matched, I liked the little display the Shimano system has, motor noise is louder but it didn’t bother me at all, we climbed up a mix of steep fire road and single track, I kept the meta in trail for 90% of the ride.

On the downhill is where the Meta comes alive, this bike rips, we rode a good mix of trails, steep / flow / jump lines, the meta ate it all up, bike felt like my Transition Patrol, didn’t feel like an ebike at all.
My friend on the Levo wasn’t having so much fun, the model was specd with brakes from SRAMs disappointment series, guide r which have the clamping power of an elderly relative holding your hand & NX group set that has more flex than a Russian gymnast on gear, (I’m a Shimano fan)

We rode 6 laps of Victoria Park NZ, both bikes had 500wh batteries, the Levo noticeably lost power near the end of its battery, the meta kept its power right to the end.
We did 16 km and 1166 vertical metres, climbs are steep hence the poor battery range & we kept the bikes in turbo / trail since rain was on the way.

End result, Meta wins over the Levo, perfect for downhill runs, as a trail bike for bigger rides, I’m unsure, would need more time on the bike.

So I’m down to either the Meta Signature or Trek Rail 9.8
Love my Signature. nice brakes and shocks. Cool colour too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles