2020 - Meta Power

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Looks good!
Cheers buddy,215 miles and my kindshock is scored,sticking up sticking down,still Working but annoying I’ve always had hydraulic reverbs and just loved the short throw on them,I was looking at a 170mm x1 c1 version but found these on offer on a German website for a good euro conversion,still bloody expensive but has a lot of benefits,one of them is I can fit it too my vitus hardtail analogue in less than 2 minutes,I can put a standard post in when using my bike workstand..never like hanging from the dropper even though I’ve never had problems..I’ll keep telling myself this too ease the pain of spending so much on a seat post!??

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
A bit more of a cockpit cleanup today

@Trickz, am I seeing right that you have a cable tie wrapping the front brake, rear mech and rear brake cables where they intersect in front of the head tube?

How do the cables bunch when the steering is off to each side?

How do the cables deform when the fork is at full compression?

I've never had the confidence to bundle all the cables. Just wondering if you've made it work.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
@Trickz, am I seeing right that you have a cable tie wrapping the front brake, rear mech and rear brake cables where they intersect in front of the head tube?

How do the cables bunch when the steering is off to each side?

How do the cables deform when the fork is at full compression?

I've never had the confidence to bundle all the cables. Just wondering if you've made it work.
It’s all good buddy,because of the steering lock the cable/hoses almost stay as they are,regards front suspension the hose at full compression just bends gracefully from the fork clamp to the other cable tie above.?

Last edited:

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Did a 25 km trail yesterday. All in ECO with 55 km range left.

I’m still liking this bike :)

7EF9906E-7BAE-4A8D-A409-77A1BA8E0B12.jpeg

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Cheers buddy,215 miles and my kindshock is scored,sticking up sticking down,still Working but annoying I’ve always had hydraulic reverbs and just loved the short throw on them,I was looking at a 170mm x1 c1 version but found these on offer on a German website for a good euro conversion,still bloody expensive but has a lot of benefits,one of them is I can fit it too my vitus hardtail analogue in less than 2 minutes,I can put a standard post in when using my bike workstand..never like hanging from the dropper even though I’ve never had problems..I’ll keep telling myself this too ease the pain of spending so much on a seat post!??
It seems like you’ve had the same experience with the Kindshock as me, sticking in the bottom - had to be ‘helped’ to get up - slow rising, and a very long throw of the remote. I’ve also been running hydraulic Reverbs on my bikes, first one 125 mm, next 150 mm, upgraded to 170 mm, and now I’ve put a 200 mm Reverb C1 on the Meta Power, I think I have around 1 cm left over in the seat post tube ? - it’s so much smoother than the Kindschock.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
It seems like you’ve had the same experience with the Kindshock as me, sticking in the bottom - had to be ‘helped’ to get up - slow rising, and a very long throw of the remote. I’ve also been running hydraulic Reverbs on my bikes, first one 125 mm, next 150 mm, upgraded to 170 mm, and now I’ve put a 200 mm Reverb C1 on the Meta Power, I think I have around 1 cm left over in the seat post tube ? - it’s so much smoother than the Kindschock.
200mm!?how tall are you??I’m 6ft and consider myself as having long legs yet I now know the axs I’m guessing has 15mm more stack height so I’m too the wire with this 170mm,too the point I might need a thicker pair of socks??reverbs are so slick though,now I know why my previous riding buddies used to be cursing all the time.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
The kindshock can be pumped up ( under the saddle clamp) which solves the slow rise. The release feel still isn't brilliant and the angle of the release lever isn't very good on the matchmaker clamp.

I'm used to running a 185mm bikeyoke which is slick and smooth. I may swap over.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
The kindshock can be pumped up ( under the saddle clamp) which solves the slow rise. The release feel still isn't brilliant and the angle of the release lever isn't very good on the matchmaker clamp.

I'm used to running a 185mm bikeyoke which is slick and smooth. I may swap over.
I pumped it up twice to the max 250psi but it still kept sticking every now and then,I’m probably giving it a hard time because I have been riding in shite gritty muddy wet and cold conditions,let’s see how the reverb does.?

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
200mm!?how tall are you??I’m 6ft and consider myself as having long legs yet I now know the axs I’m guessing has 15mm more stack height so I’m too the wire with this 170mm,too the point I might need a thicker pair of socks??reverbs are so slick though,now I know why my previous riding buddies used to be cursing all the time.
I’m 6’4” so that’s when the 200 mm Reverb come in handy ?
The minimum from BB to seat post top is 35” which is just a tad less of what I need ? - it gives soo much freedom of movement compared to the 170 mm drop I have on my analog enduro bike.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I’m 6’4” so that’s when the 200 mm Reverb come in handy ?
The minimum from BB to seat post top is 35” which is just a tad less of what I need ? - it gives soo much freedom of movement compared to the 170 mm drop I have on my analog enduro bike.
Being 6’4” I bet you were buzzing when a 200mm dropper was announced! I’ve just done a comparison by measuring the difference side by side to the bottom of the rail mount,my axs reverb is only 11mm higher stack height than the kindshock,take away the 5mm extra height the kindshock gives leaves me with just 6mm more height on my reverb when fully extended...it was just me being a drama queen??

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Re. KS Lev standard fitment

Mine had been getting sticky. I had it too tightly clamped so you could feel the last bit of extension was not smooth. After relaxing the seat post bolt it was smoother, I could drop the pressure to ~130psi.

Then I rode it and crashed on the lever.:eek:

Carrera911xc

Oct 16, 2019
USA
After exchanging my 2020 Meta Power 29 Ride for a Team, I couldn't be happier.

Upgrades so far are Oneup Stem and carbon Handlebar, WTB Vig/TrailBoss in 29x2.6, Magura 220mm/200m floating rotors, rev grips, and a ridewrap frame protection kit.

Ironically the fat big fat 2.6s roll way faster than the 2.35 Magic Marys. Coupled with the massive rotors, the bike also looks way meaner.

20191124_192926.jpg

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Meta power SX owner here ,fantastic bike I love it but there are a few things I have had issues with on mine.
The brakes are well awful , I replaced the OEM pads with ceramic , thanks disco brakes so cheap compared to factory.
The ceramic give a lot more bite , but to be honest I will probably move them on as I prefer Shimano power.
My Shimano display had to be replaced it had moisture in it from day one.
I had to have the forks re built , out of the box they were only giving
160 mm travel which I didn't even realise , I just thought the geo was really off and wondered why I was using so much travel.
Good now!
ALSO added two tokens to the forks so now get much moe compliant plush initial stroke and ramp up so no bottom out on big hits .

I replaced the headset with a Hope the OEM one was always coming loose
and eventually got damaged by poor workmanship while removing the race when the forks were sent back for a re build by Commencal here in Australia.
Swapped out the grips with Jet black next will be Nukeproof composite pedals .
I was frustrated by a constant creak resinating from the frame , it went back to the Commencal five times , they couldn't solve it .
Eventually I worked out it was only the spring against the collar , tiny bit of lithium grease fixed it. On the subject of spring rate I am 90 kg and the supplied spring I have no problem with I see no need to swap it out .
The suspension on this bike is amazing , I would say the best of any bike I have owned .
Only other really small gripe is a little noise from the battery cover so I placed a small piece of inner tube between the battery and cover to deaden the noise .
The clear coat scratches very easily so frame protection is recommended especially on the down tube if you ware full hard leg armour.

Last edited:

Carrera911xc

Oct 16, 2019
USA
I replaced the headset with a Hope the OEM one was always coming loose and eventually got damaged by poor workmanship while removing the race when the forks were sent back for a re build by Commencal here in Australia.

Out of curiosity did you keep the knock block crown race and end stops?

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Hi Carrera , no I did not
I replaced the whole headset and race , all I had to do was make sure my bar controls didn't foul on the top tube I now actually prefer it as it easier to get in the back of my truck. I also used cable wrapping spiral to protect the fine wires to the display bunching them with the brake hose so they cannot get damaged from tree strike .

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Adding to my opinion on the SX suspension , after having the last few analog bikes with air rear shock it is a revelation going back to a coil sprung rear.
The amount of pop you get when you pre load off a jump is firkin amazing it feels like the bike levitates into the air . Something I never expected on a 20+ kg MTB .
I always found air sprung shocks over dampened and never giving this feeling .

I have also set the SX up tubeless running Vittoria air liner in the rear , great product .
The Assegi tyres are also really good , I up until now always preferred Minions here in the harsh dry sandstone trails we get here in Australia but the rear being such a soft compound is almost done after 200 km so swapping the front to the back and going with a 2.6 Minion on the front .

Last edited:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Adding to my opinion on the SX suspension , after having the last few analog bikes with air rear shock it is a revelation going back to a coil sprung rear.
The amount of pop you get when you pre load off a jump is firkin amazing it feels like the bike levitates into the air . Something I never expected on a 20+ kg MTB .
I always found air sprung shocks over dampened and never giving this feeling .

I have also set the SX up tubeless running Vittoria air liner in the rear , great product .
The Assegi tyres are also really good , I up until now always preferred Minions here in the harsh dry sandstone trails we get here in Australia but the rear being such a soft compound is almost done after 200 km so swapping the front to the back and going with a 2.6 Minion on the front .
The only issue I’ve had was a defective gear cable though I may have too look at the outer near the mech as sometimes it refuses to drop from 10 to 9,I have been riding in awful conditions though other than that I’ve about striped everything apart from the motor and have found no problems,everything was tight and grease where I would put it which is a nice touch,my nukeproof mega carbon rs came as dry as a desert!even the dt swiss ratchet hubs were bone dry,I think the brake squeal is amplified by the avid clean sweep rotors though my rear is fine now,I’ve fitted a 220mm centreline front rotor and apart from some rubbing due to the thicker rotor and the amount of dirt riding in the wet mud..it’s been quiet.Agree with the rear coil it’s a proper launcher if you provoke it!?yet super sensitive at soaking up the trail,the lyrik with no spacers and 30% sag I’ve yet to get past 160mm of travel unless I run at 40% sag but im happy with the sensitivity it definitely feels a different tune from my mega lyriks.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Ironically the fat big fat 2.6s roll way faster than the 2.35 Magic Marys.

Yes. Is not the size, it’s the tread and the compound wich made a tire roll faster, also the bigger volumen allow for less pressure so the tire molds better the surface, Is more sticked to the ground

Last edited:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Maybe it’s the slack head angle of the meta sx as I’m finding it so hard to get the front sag right!im 88kg riding weight yet I’ve gone from 105psi to 92psi and still getting 28-30% sag where I stand in attack position over the front bars,even then though it sometimes comes out at 25% so I do a best out of ten?never used the guide before on the fork but 88psi plus the 10psi extra it says on the fork and that came out at 22%!Anyway no wonder with 105psi in on my last ride I was struggling for front grip!I think it’s because of angle of the forks you get a lot of side stiction from the slip seals on the fork even though I spray silicone on them,the other thing I noticed is how much rebound I’m clicking on maybe you set ebike sup differently?what do you peeps do?..I’ve always wound the forks fully open then push hard And fast on the handlebars Downwards and see if the wheel leaves the ground,then wind rebound in a click and repeat until the tyre just stays to the floor.I’m on 15 clicks out of the 18?for reference my rear coil is happy at 7 out of 18 for the rebound.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
I am similar weight , but when I set up sag I just stand central in the cockpit .
Don't really have an issue with my SX I am running two internal tokens so slightly less pressure.
Maybe your over thinking it , I hardly ever bottom out using 80-90 % of the travel most rides really happy with my forks they have saved me multiple times due to my dubious line choice ploughing into massive goolies and they just roll over them.
I do however run quite low tyre pressure in the front , seems to help with absorbing these hits and the Assgi tyre gets much better grip lower psi than higher .

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I am similar weight , but when I set up sag I just stand central in the cockpit .
Don't really have an issue with my SX I am running two internal tokens so slightly less pressure.
Maybe your over thinking it , I hardly ever bottom out using 80-90 % of the travel most rides really happy with my forks they have saved me multiple times due to my dubious line choice ploughing into massive goolies and they just roll over them.
I do however run quite low tyre pressure in the front , seems to help with absorbing these hits and the Assgi tyre gets much better grip lower psi than higher .
Think I am over thinking it buddy,I’ve been running 20psi in the front and 25 in the rear.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
im 88kg riding weight yet I’ve gone from 105psi to 92psi and still getting 28-30% sag where I stand in attack position over the front bars

1. Don't get hung up on sag. Particularly on forks. Particularly with Debonair spring. Particularly on modern geometry.

2. The guide for your weight: RockShox Setup Guide | SRAM

Screenshot 2020-01-11 at 19.05.37.png

I'm 86kg riding weight on a 29er Team (170mm Lyrik) but the recommendation is about the same.

First, the rebound is too slow for me at only 7 clicks but... 9 or 10 clicks out is perfect. Consider the range between 7 and 11 clicks as viable. Forget about your 15 clicks.

3. The air pressure guide is funny because the air pressure is so sensitive to the position where the fork sits when you're setting pressure. We all know the Lyrik sits a bit into its travel. How far it is sitting in its travel at the moment you check it alters the reading. We don't know which position the air pressure guide is calibrated against. We don't know that the air pressure guide is accurate. It is just a guide. However it would be nice to know if it is likely to be a low limit, upper limit or mid value for a range to explore.

What works for me (170mm Lyrik, one token) is a fully extended (i.e. pulling out the fork to rest on its top out stop) pressure of ~83psi (Shockwiz) or 78.5psi (digital pump). If the Lyrik is allowed to settle under the eMTB's weight, this number goes higher - maybe ~90psi. In this instance, the air guide is close for factory spec of tokens but we still have a 4-5psi range on whether we believe shockwiz or a pump. The numbers I've given are probably as low as I'd want to go.

4. The air pressure guide gives exactly the same pressure advice for the 180 fork and the 170 fork. I'd have expected some variance.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
1. Don't get hung up on sag. Particularly on forks. Particularly with Debonair spring. Particularly on modern geometry.

2. The guide for your weight: RockShox Setup Guide | SRAM

View attachment 24371

I'm 86kg riding weight on a 29er Team (170mm Lyrik) but the recommendation is about the same.

First, the rebound is too slow for me at only 7 clicks but... 9 or 10 clicks out is perfect. Consider the range between 7 and 11 clicks as viable. Forget about your 15 clicks.

3. The air pressure guide is funny because the air pressure is so sensitive to the position where the fork sits when you're setting pressure. We all know the Lyrik sits a bit into its travel. How far it is sitting in its travel at the moment you check it alters the reading. We don't know which position the air pressure guide is calibrated against. We don't know that the air pressure guide is accurate. It is just a guide. However it would be nice to know if it is likely to be a low limit, upper limit or mid value for a range to explore.

What works for me (170mm Lyrik, one token) is a fully extended (i.e. pulling out the fork to rest on its top out stop) pressure of ~83psi (Shockwiz) or 78.5psi (digital pump). If the Lyrik is allowed to settle under the eMTB's weight, this number goes higher - maybe ~90psi. In this instance, the air guide is close for factory spec of tokens but we still have a 4-5psi range on whether we believe shockwiz or a pump. The numbers I've given are probably as low as I'd want to go.

4. The air pressure guide gives exactly the same pressure advice for the 180 fork and the 170 fork. I'd have expected some variance.
Thanks for that?I’ve just came back from a ride and it feels better,I’d settled on 90psi and 9 clicks in from open so not far away?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles