Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes but in the flip side because it now has bottle bosses you can fit a range extender like the trail watts systems easily.

For me on the battery front what I really want is the option of a bigger battery for longer rides. For most of my riding 500 is enough, and I would rather have the weight saving, but would like the longer range option for when I need it

Chieftain

Jun 23, 2019
plymouth

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It uses the proprietary Shimano battery, so unlikely. YT uses a bespoke battery unique to the Decoy.

Of course Shimano May bring out a larger battery in due course

Chieftain

Jun 23, 2019
plymouth
It uses the proprietary Shimano battery, so unlikely. YT uses a bespoke battery unique to the Decoy.

Of course Shimano May bring out a larger battery in due course
It will be I’m the making as we speak I’m sure, as they won’t want to be left behind and also Shimano will want to integrate their lecky gear tech onto the new gen bikes

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Just done a little googling; the small comes with a 300lb spring, according to the spring calculator on TFTuned's website I'd need around a 700lb spring... That can't be right, surely?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
It’s real purdy.
Has anyone handled the 8035 battery, is it as compact as it looks?
Having a second pack for lunchtime swaps that could be stuffed in a pack for the occasional long day would probably suit me more than a huge single battery.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Here lies the external battery, gone but not forgotten... ;)

It is very pretty, but with a downtube as slim as that the battery weight must be higher, raising the CG. They seem to be exiting the battery from underneath the downtube rather than the BB, but that is likely to mean extra reinforcement (and therefore weight) in that area too. Progress? I'm not so sure...

Last edited:

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
Specs look great! I like the increase in travel and stiffer upgrades. The internal battery is supposed to lower the weight even more. Lack of bigger battery capacity is lacking tho.

Shimano states new internal battery is 2.9kg vs 2.6kg for external. (Not including the extra stuff the manufacturer bolts on to it I suppose)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...The internal battery is supposed to lower the weight even more...

...Shimano states new internal battery is 2.9kg vs 2.6kg for external. (Not including the extra stuff the manufacturer bolts on to it I suppose)
I don't see how the new battery could possibly make the CG of the bike lower or reduce the all up weight. If you look where the hole is under the downtube, it goes higher (above the fork bridge) than where the top of the external battery gets to. That external battery also has more volume and weight towards the back/bottom vs the internal which obviously has parallel sides:

1561451133742.png
versus
1561451226925.png

Add in that the total weight of the internal battery is higher even before taking into account the additional reinforcement that will be necessary it seems unlikely this solution can achieve the same weight as the old setup. Whether that is more or less important than the improved aesthetics is a matter of personal preference, but for me the convenience of an external battery is preferred..

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
It will be interesting to see what it weighs, my 2019 sig is listed as 22.9 KG on the
commencal website, no weights listed yet for the 2020 bikes that I can see.

The 2020 large wheelbase is 1273 mm, my 2019 large is 1235, that seems quite an increase.

I have to say I much prefer the looks of the integrated battery but all things considered, I'm super happy with my 2019. When Shimano announced the new internal battery I assumed most 2020 bikes would use it but still went for the 2019.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Longer reach, more travel and weight... This looks more like downhill charger. If it still has the relative playfulness of the external version it will be an all round weapon.

Brands are, understandably, trickling out updates to keep us consumers hungry. Next it will be a new Shimano motor and a bigger battery!

Glad they discounted the external versions as I’m happy with the 1k saving. If the new bike had been the same price I would have been a little gutted!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I don't see how the new battery could possibly make the CG of the bike lower or reduce the all up weight.
I made an animation just for fun. The image is showing aproximately where I believe the COG for the battery is. And the photos are centered around the crank. As we can see the battery COG is further forward for the 2020, but horizontal distance to crank appears to be about the same. But if you consider COG relative to the hubs, adjusted for sag, then who knows, maybe the 2020 wins. That might be what Commencal is saying.

metapwr_cog01.gif

Edit: Coming to think of it... the claim of lower COG could be compared to the old BT8020. They never made a bike with that battery, possibly because the COG would be to high. But now that the BT8035 is here, they are able to make an internal battery frame with a lower COG.

Last edited:

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
The new SX will be the perfect partner to my current 29er Meta. 600Wh and even 700Wh batteries are not big enough for most of the rides I like to do so still being only a 500Wh keeps the overall weight of a bike and two batteries down a bit compared to bigger batteries. Shame they've swapped battery types as it means I'll have to buy another second battery to store in the van when self uplifting instead of being able to use the current spare I put in a backpack for longer rides.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles