2020 Levo Freehub Question With Pics For ID

Squatch

Feb 20, 2020
Washington State
Levo hub 4.jpg

Levo hub1.jpg

Levo hub 3.jpg

Levo Hub 2.jpg

Referring to a 2020 Levo Comp. Several owners have had issues with the hub stripping, so I would like to do a preemptive strike. Are you guys replacing the whole hub assembly and re-lacing the wheel or can you just change the free hub itself to a more durable unit? I know this has been discussed in other threads but...... I'm a little confused since some refer to a hub as the freehub or hub interchangeably. If the freehub can be changed only, what are you using to replace the FH-521?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
View attachment 28223

View attachment 28224

View attachment 28225

View attachment 28226
Referring to a 2020 Levo Comp. Several owners have had issues with the hub stripping, so I would like to do a preemptive strike. Are you guys replacing the whole hub assembly and re-lacing the wheel or can you just change the free hub itself to a more durable unit? I know this has been discussed in other threads but...... I'm a little confused since some refer to a hub as the freehub or hub interchangeably. If the freehub can be changed only, what are you using to replace the FH-521?
Its the same design as the 2019 comp and I have not seen any failure reports. What do you mean by "stripping"?. Mine has been fine....just serviced it once so far.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
While it’s the same design as the 2019 hub, there are different spec numbers in the metals used and there were refinements in its manufacturing. It’s a Formula free hub body, other brands are using the same hub body and the entire hub shell. Haibike uses it and it’s called the hub and it’s the same hub sram rebrands and sell as their hub. You can pick up the sram hub for $50 and get a complete freehub and axle to rebuild it for cheap if the need arises

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To be honest if you use a pressure washer on the rear wheel neither hub bearing or freehub bearings and pawl system will last very long. The freehub needs fairly regular maintenance to avoid the pawls getting clogged with dust etc. A 4 pawl freehub is only marginally stronger and faster in terms of grab but weaker in terms of torsion since the diameter of the face in which the pawls seat is the same and more metal is cut away to seat 4 rather than 3 pawls. The adjuster nut needs to be checked occasionally to ensure no play on the freehub/cassette. The one critisism I would have for the freehub and hub is that neither is well sealed. That just means more regular servicing....basically just cleaning

Squatch

Feb 20, 2020
Washington State
I appreciate the responses!
I am anal about maintenance with everything. I even have learned my lessons in the past about "over cleaning" with high pressure water on a range of things. It seams most bike are terrible about water ingress.
I have always been surprised on how bikes use different pieces and parts that are fuzzy to find and replace. I hate being down for three or four weeks looking or waiting for a part to arrive.
My thought always is...... Fix a potential problem before I have a problem, especially when I'm out enjoying my time off. If I can keep a spare on me or in my tool bag at the truck, normally my life is easier. Then all I have to do is work on all my other buddies stuff on the trail.;)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In which case you should fine. My hub bearings lasted a year but I rode all through the very wet uk winter. They had no play as such but the drive side bearing was not smooth. I remove the cassette and freehub together whenever I remove the rear wheel and clean/ regrease the pawls and the ratchet in the hub (DTSwiss freehub grease). I changed the pawls after a year....£10 DT Swiss Service Kit. The freehub bearings are still smooth so no need to change.

Jimtonicc

Jul 8, 2020
Riehen
My freehub broke after 100 miles, see attached.

How can I find out which ones are compatible with my Levo Comp 2020?

And how do I get the formula hub off? Can’t figure out the mechanism.

8F66DB0B-6C5D-4A9B-B833-012CAF46A98D.jpeg

515DC965-C898-4750-9DE6-2358F4A7748D.jpeg

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I think you have to remove the axle.

I have a 2020 hub for sale if interested. Taken from my 2020 comp that I damaged the wheel rim on. £20

Jimtonicc

Jul 8, 2020
Riehen
I tried to turn the axle in the indicated „loose“ direction and hold the other end - but it didn’t come off.

Now that I need to change it anyway, I am investigating how to get Onyx Vesper silent hub installed - presumably I will need to change the whole hub.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The lock nut on the drive side is reverse thread. Hold the lock nut on the non drive side and remove the drive side locknut. The freehub should then slide off. Its a Shimano 3 pawl freehub.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
10 sp? On a 11 speed cassette? The reference number for the freehub is printed on it on the photo....Shimano 501.
Given the damage on it I would check whether that was caused by a collapsed freehub bearing or the cassette. (SRAM PG1130 11-42

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I tried to turn the axle in the indicated „loose“ direction and hold the other end - but it didn’t come off.

Now that I need to change it anyway, I am investigating how to get Onyx Vesper silent hub installed - presumably I will need to change the whole hub.
Vesper hubs are not rated for e bikes. You need the classic Onyx hub plus the steel driver to cope with the load.

ofcounsel

Apr 20, 2020
Brea, CA
The lock nut on the drive side is reverse thread. Hold the lock nut on the non drive side and remove the drive side locknut. The freehub should then slide off. Its a Shimano 3 pawl freehub.
If you have no visible lock nut on the non-drive side, then pull off the end cap (if it doesn't come off with good pull by hand, grip "lightly" with a set of pliers to pull off). Underneath the cap you should find some way to keep the axle in place while you loosen the nut on the drive side. On my Creo, which uses a similar formula hub, there is a set of holes in the axle that you can put a small screwdriver in between to hold the axle in place while you loosen the nut.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If it is the same as my my2019 Levo Comp there is a nut and locknut on the non drive side. They secure the axle in the hub. I have a single nut (no lock nut) which is reverse thread, which holds the freehub onto the axle. To have damaged the outer edge of the freehub as per the picture either the freehub or the cassette has come loose or a freehub bearing has collapsed. The latter seems unlikely since there are 2 cartridge bearings in the freehub.

Jimtonicc

Jul 8, 2020
Riehen
I managed to get the nut off with a 9mm socket thingy - finally! Hard to find a tool that is thin enough to fit into the hole (the one that is covered by the cap).

PS I have DMR vaults, magnesium

36T successfully installed!

I forgot that the chainguard needs to be removed - any downsides without it?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I managed to get the nut off with a 9mm socket thingy - finally! Hard to find a tool that is thin enough to fit into the hole (the one that is covered by the cap).

PS I have DMR vaults, magnesium

36T successfully installed!

I forgot that the chainguard needs to be removed - any downsides without it?
Only broken chains!!!!!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Only broken chains!!!!!
Jesus, talk about jumping to the worst possible outcome straight away. The bike is fine without the chainguide. When the drivetrain gets worn there is a slightly higher possibility of dropping a chain without the guide but even then it's possible to drop the chain with the guide on.

The chainguide will fit with the 36 tooth chainring BTW, you just need to position the guide differently.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles