2020 Levo Comp motor cuts out at 30km/h

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
My motor cuts out at 30km/h. I've verified this with a couple of gps speed apps. I thought it was meant to be 25km/h? I'm in New Zealand. Is it different in other countries?

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany
Some are 25, some 32. based on your local laws.
Can be altered a little bit by changing wheel circumference by your dealer. Most likely it’s off a few mm so the speed the bike recognizes is not exact So the cutoff is also off a Little Bit.

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
Some are 25, some 32. based on your local laws.
Can be altered a little bit by changing wheel circumference by your dealer. Most likely it’s off a few mm so the speed the bike recognizes is not exact So the cutoff is also off a Little Bit.
Thanks for your reply. I thought it would be something like that. I reckon 35km/h would be the sweet spot.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
In New Zealand it should be 32km/h. Take it to your dealer and ask them to update the motor firmware and if it already has the latest version then they need to select the option "force update".

Additionally they can set the wheel circumference to 2000mm which will raise the max speed to 36.8km/h ;) -- I suspect they've already done that but the max speed is set to 25 so it cuts off at 28.8km/h; with Brose the cut off is gradual so you get a little bit more (30km/h).

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I find you notice drag (reduced power) at about 29-30 kph which increases until cut off at 32. Is a total pain in the butt as often it retards momentum badly. I go through sections on my non ebike 38-42 kph often and find it damned frustrating.

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
In New Zealand it should be 32km/h. Take it to your dealer and ask them to update the motor firmware and if it already has the latest version then they need to select the option "force update".

Additionally they can set the wheel circumference to 2000mm which will raise the max speed to 36.8km/h ;) -- I suspect they've already done that but the max speed is set to 25 so it cuts off at 28.8km/h; with Brose the cut off is gradual so you get a little bit more (30km/h).
I'll have a chat with the bike shop about the forced update. It will be interesting to see if than can increase the max speed that way...

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I'll have a chat with the bike shop about the forced update. It will be interesting to see if than can increase the max speed that way...
Here is page from service manual:
Force_Update_ServiceManual.png

Click on cog symbol in the upper left corner to display options menu, then tick 'Force motor update':
Force_Update.png

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Here is another image of Turbo Studio showing overview of the Firmware Update process. On the last step "Finish", they can change the wheel size for you. The smallest valid wheel circumference is 2000.
Firmware_Update_process.png

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I have the 2000 wheel size setting and now my speed and distance are 20 percent slower than actual on mission control. Aargh.

Yes, that is correct as the fake wheel circumference which you now selected is intended by Specialized to be used with a wheelset which corresponds to the 2000 setting from a legal perspective.

I ride with the same setting based on european speed limit of 25km/h. Makes a big difference in ride feeling. I never ride with MC I only use BLEvo. Within the BLEvo app you can set the real WC in your case assume it will be between 2270 and 2300. BLEvo then automatically compensates the speed and distance between the fake and real WC value.

Hope this helps...

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
Yes, that is correct as the fake wheel circumference which you now selected is intended by Specialized to be used with a wheelset which corresponds to the 2000 setting from a legal perspective.

I ride with the same setting based on european speed limit of 25km/h. Makes a big difference in ride feeling. I never ride with MC I only use BLEvo. Within the BLEvo app you can set the real WC in your case assume it will be between 2270 and 2300. BLEvo then automatically compensates the speed and distance between the fake and real WC value.

Hope this helps...
What's your max speed before cut off with the adjusted wheel size?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles