2020 Lapierre GLP

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me this is the most interesting 2020 bike release so far - i have always believed that the industry in general is in a rush to design EMTB's that look as much like normal bikes as possible, rather than designing EMTB's that are the best possible EMTB. For me the rush to integrated batteries that is most instances place the batteries in a position that compromises weight distribution in favour of aesthetics, is prodiucing a lot of bikes that are no better and almost always heavier than their predecessors.

La Pierre have gone against the grain with the new GLP, keeping with an external battery, but mated to the new Bosch Gen 4 motor, and doing this so that because they believe the design they have gone with will produce the best hadling and fastest EMTB on the market.

Whether it lives up to the claim is yet to be seen, but i salute them for going with a design that may not be pretty, but definitely looks to make sense to me in terms of potentially producing a great handling bike, especially with Nico Vouillioz driving the design.

Brand new: Lapierre Overvolt AM Carbone GLP II Team 2020 – the first eMTB for racing? | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 12.50.28.png

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 12.50.49.png

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 12.51.07.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's an interesting looking bike. There have been a few video's of Nico Vouillioz riding the prototype version which looked equally interesting.

@Dirtnvert posted about it on Monday and had me drooling then ..

New lapierre 2020? - EMTB Forums

It sounds like the "toolbox" has been scrapped as a feature. the hole is still there for you to use as you wish but I guess they had problems integrating the doors/covers into something robust and practical enough to be "abused" correctly ...

I don't find it unattractive, but then I'm comparing it to what I just saw in the mirror so my viewpoint is somewhat skewed.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I think this is one of the more interesting designs too. Let's see how it ends up riding...

One reason not to do it is the width of the battery where the rider pedals. This might not matter in practice however.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I personally quite like it, but I can see a few problems...
  1. The brainwashing effect of "integrated is better" from pretty much every other manufacturer makes Lapierre a brave brand for making this bike. It will also be a brave rider who chooses to buy one - stealth it is not!
  2. Not much space (if any) for a water bottle; will be a deal breaker for some, and...
  3. Pricing - 8499 Euros is likely to be perceived as a lot to pay for a bike without an integrated battery, carbon frame or not. The cheaper 6k one probably makes more sense, but the looks combined with stiff fully integrated opposition from the likes of YT, Specialized etc mean it is likely to feel like an "out there" option for most buyers.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not much space (if any) for a water bottle; will be a deal breaker for some,

But I'm going to make millions selling a tiny carbon frame which doubles as a water bottle cage.
This is used to replace the rear shock, so it also has the advantage that it stops all that bouncing around from the rear end at the same time.

ninjichor

Apr 10, 2019
Southern California
I like Nico's thinking. That's a clever design to fit an existing battery shape help minimize compromises in handling.

I bet a number of innovative folk are wondering how to redesign batteries, to get the best blend of shape to get weight centered and low, capacity, safety, cost, complexity, etc. I imagine that active battery temp regulation will be one of the game changers--maybe use Tesla's tech,since their patents are "open source".

Reminds me of the Nissan Leaf problem, where their custom-designed battery system didn't consider really cold winter temps and, as a result, had batteries lose capacity greatly, down to 70% or less of original capacity after one cold winter. I digress...

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sort of agree with @R120 but also with @Eckythump - It also looks like the bastard child of a Spectral:ON and a 2018 Meta POWER
I'm not entirely convinced their chosen battery placement actually is going to be the best handling most weight balanced position out there.
If you look at your own bike @R120 the vertically mounted shock is positioned nice and low and pretty much as far to the rear as it could be off setting the weight from the downtube mounted external battery. It also has a FAR lower BB. meaning all the excess E weight is LOWER than the Lappierre's with it's horizontally top tube mounted shock and the Battery above (higher CoG) the motor. Remains to be seen though. and the proof will be in the riding of it.

I's still definitely a better thought out design than a lot of the bikes pointlessly trying to hide their Eness from the world. A bit like a naughty dog hiding it's head under the coffee table with it's big dumb arse still in full view. ;)

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sort of agree with @R120 but also with @Eckythump - It also looks like the bastard child of a Spectral:ON and a 2018 Meta POWER
I'm not entirely convinced their chosen the battery placement actually is going to be the best handling most weight balanced position out there.
If you look at your own bike @R120 the vertically mounted shock is positioned nice and low and pretty much as far to the rear as it could be off setting the weight from the downtube mounted external battery. It also has a FAR lower BB. meaning all the excess E weight is LOWER than the Lappierre's with it's horizontally top tube mounted shock and the Battery above (higher CoG) the motor. Remains to be seen though. and the proof will be in the riding of it.

I's still definitely a better thought out design than a lot of the bikes pointlessly trying to hide their Eness from the world. A bit like a naughty dog hiding it's head under the coffee table with it's big dumb arse still in full view. ;)

Yes, I like the thinking behind it and ignoring current trends in favour of designing a bike that is focused purely on optimising performance, though like I said in my original post it will be interesting to see if it lives up to its claims.

Having had a chance to ride a fair few of the newer bikes, and then coming back to my Vitus, every time I come back to the Vitus the most noticeable difference is how easy it is to get the front of the Vitus up to pop over something, manual, etc etc which is all to do with the weigh placement.

Tobi

May 19, 2020
Croatia
Wow
I didn't see your post.
What about your GLP2?

Did 100 km and for now I'm very impressed with bike, it's very nimble and that was my priority when buying him, I did demo with Levo SL earlier because i was in between this two bikes for buying, didn't regret (considering that I wasn't been able to test it), it's much better bike then SL, for me of course...i can confirm every word from Nico Vouilloz's, as the bike designer.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Thats not Spanish, it's in French !

The GPL2 elite looks like a nice build with Shimano transmission and brakes.
For colors, i'm not a huge fan of the blue+grey, and loved the old black+red with the red lyrik

Quai18

Oct 26, 2020
France
Hello all ! I was searching for information on the 2021 GLP and I found this forum, but the catalog is not available anymore. Can any of you transfer it to me ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles