Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I had problems pairing with mission control, so I deleted it and tried to repair I now get enter this code. But I can’t change keypad to letters, I’ve entered it as a number and still can’t connect! Any ideas?

View attachment 21168
What about trying this button?
D7363062-DE1F-4273-B220-EF5ADEC8660C.jpeg

Pablo

Aug 25, 2019
Hampshire
I have ordered a comp from my lbs, however, expected delivery date is December. Apparently specialized have them in stock but there is an issue with the rear shock that needs to be sorted before they will release the stock they have... Anyone heard of issues with the comps shock?
? I’ve noticed that the paints rubbed of inside the shock, thought it unusual, will post a pic later!
Looks like I might have yet another return to bike shop coming up, also the motor kept cutting out yesterday

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
According to my LBS (info from today); my bike is loaded onto the truck in the Netherlands on friday 1st of November and should be here (in Trondheim, Norway) this week. Let' s hope it's correct and that the shock issue is not severe.
They also just received another Comp late last week.

Nikolaos Tsivis

Oct 19, 2019
Greece
I had problems pairing with mission control, so I deleted it and tried to repair I now get enter this code. But I can’t change keypad to letters, I’ve entered it as a number and still can’t connect! Any ideas?

View attachment 21168

Unscrew the TCU from the top tube. Flip it and you will see a six digit code, numbers only! It is just numbers what you are supposed to enter, this is why the app does not let you enter letters.

Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

Last edited:

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
I have ordered a comp from my lbs, however, expected delivery date is December. Apparently specialized have them in stock but there is an issue with the rear shock that needs to be sorted before they will release the stock they have... Anyone heard of issues with the comps shock?

When I picked mine up today, Chris @ Berkshire Bikes told me about the issue. Out of 90 Kenevo comps sold, they have had 1 shock fail. It is the shaft that comes undone causing the oil to dump out.

Marzocchi are not doing a recall yet as very small numbers, just repairing as required.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The shaft coming undone is a known issue with those Marzocchi shocks, not just on the Kenevo - its a stupid design in the first place - one of my LBS was anticipating this becoming a problem with the Kenevo Comps when the spec was released, and before he had them in stock, based off previous issues he had customers having with the shock.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Ordered an S4 comp this morning, picking up tomorrow evening. Looking forward to riding it and comparing it to my Levo Expert. Its been an expensive year for bikes as got the missus a levo comp in January and my expert in July.

Your gonna love it!
It’ll feel smoother, faster and it’ll beg you to take it down those scary descents.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Yeah mine seized and released oil , had it replaced

Nikolaos Tsivis

Oct 19, 2019
Greece
Thanks mate! Not sure on the BoXXer fork. I’ve got the 200 Ohlins front and the Ohlins rear is a 240/76 shock with a reduced shaft down to 70mm which gives me 201mm travel and then I run two custom offset bushes to get the 230mm eye to eye.

A couple of questions if you don't mind since I am in the market for upgrading the Marzocchi stuff on my 2020 Comp!

1. Did you look into the 230x65 option prior going for the modded 230x70? I am looking into the DVO Jade X that is coming either at 230x62.5 (Original) or 230x65... I was wondering what would the bike's travel be with an additional 2.5mm...

2. What offset are you running on the Ohlins 200mm travel fork? Did you match it to the Boxxer? Do you happen to know what offset the original Boxxer was? I am looking into the DVO Onyx DC @ 203mm travel and 48mm offset.

By the way, is the frame rated for a 200mm fork or would this void the warranty?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

_Martin_

Oct 31, 2019
Stuttgart, Germany
A couple of questions if you don't mind since I am in the market for upgrading the Marzocchi stuff on my 2020 Comp!

1. Did you look into the 230x65 option prior going for the modded 230x70? I am looking into the DVO Jade X that is coming either at 230x62.5 (Original) or 230x65... I was wondering what would the bike's travel be with an additional 2.5mm...

2. What offset are you running on the Ohlins 200mm travel fork? Did you match it to the Boxxer? Do you happen to know what offset the original Boxxer was? I am looking into the DVO Onyx DC @ 203mm travel and 48mm offset.

By the way, is the frame rated for a 200mm fork or would this void the warranty?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

Hey Nikolaos,

there is a brand in Germany named BikeYoke which is specialized (pun intended) on suspension yokes to adapt Specialized bikes to regular damper sizes. There is no yoke for the 2020 Kenevo yet but I'm sure there will be at some point.
They also manufacture awesome droppers matching the quite new 34.9mm standard.

Nikolaos Tsivis

Oct 19, 2019
Greece
Hey Nikolaos,

there is a brand in Germany named BikeYoke which is specialized (pun intended) on suspension yokes to adapt Specialized bikes to regular damper sizes. There is no yoke for the 2020 Kenevo yet but I'm sure there will be at some point.
They also manufacture awesome droppers matching the quite new 34.9mm standard.

Hi Martin.

I was actually one of the early customers of BikeYoke. I bought back in Feb 2016 a yoke for my Specialized SX Trail 2009 and managed to fit in there a couple of shocks, both air and coil. I've also bought a triggy remote for my analog bike too in 2019. I really like their products.

However, the Kenevo 2020 does not need a special yoke to fit an aftermarket shock. I am not saying it will fit all shocks. For example, DVO replied to me that only the Jade X is recommended for the 2020 Kenevo, not the Jade. It needs a bit of digging. A shock that is 230x62.5 will fit directly on the frame and the travel will remain the same. A 230x65 will produce more travel on the rear wheel. What @Christian did though is special and very interesting, this is why I am asking for more info.

Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

Last edited:

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany

Any particular reason why? The stuff seems to get decent reviews once you get past the few reported rear shock failures? Just wondering why so many have instantly swapped out the fork and shock on the comp?

Nikolaos Tsivis

Oct 19, 2019
Greece
Any particular reason why? The stuff seems to get decent reviews once you get past the few reported rear shock failures? Just wondering why so many have instantly swapped out the fork and shock on the comp?

... Sorry for the long post ...

Excellent question! Please note:

1. Reliability. My shock failed 3rd November. On the 4th it was already given to Fox for repairs under warranty, on the 9th I was on the trails again. It didn't cost me anything since the dealer is very close to where I live and work. The shock is currently working perfectly, I don't know if it will fail again soon, remains to be confirmed. The shock's failure is not the reason I want to replace it.

2. Performance. Wade Simmons, the "Godfather of Freeride" seems to be running exactly the same suspension front and rear on his Rocky Mountain Powerplay. Please see the following photo:
tr_cp_bc_ebike_2_.jpg

If the "Godfather of Freeride" is satisfied with the Marzocchi performance, so should I, right? The truth is that I am. Performance is excellent. After a few laps on the bike both Marzocchi parts was perfectly dialled. The shocks are performing brilliantly and this is not the reason I want to replace them.

So what is the reason?

Well, in my opinion, upgrading is a great part of mountain-biking. If I can sell the fork and shock and fund partly another set of suspension, why not do it? Also, I recently found out that you can sell almost everything. I sold my 2009 SX Trail bike in 2018! In 2019, I also sold my 2012 Knolly Chilcotin (that I bought second hand at some time). I am still selling parts. For example, I already sold the 11 speed drivetrain of my Kenevo and the 12 speed GX eagle coming off my 2018 Moxie is getting on the ebike tomorrow. Working on the bike, exchanging parts, doing mistakes, is all part of mountainbiking.

Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

Last edited:

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
So what is the reason?

Well, in my opinion, upgrading is a great part of mountain-biking. If I can sell the fork and shock and fund partly another set of suspension, why not do it? Also, I recently found out that you can sell almost everything. I sold my 2009 SX Trail bike in 2018! In 2019, I also sold my 2012 Knolly Chilcotin (that I bought second hand at some time). I am still selling parts. For example, I already sold the 11 speed drivetrain of my Kenevo and the 12 speed GX eagle coming off my 2018 Moxie is getting on the ebike tomorrow. Working on the bike, exchanging parts, doing mistakes, is all part of mountainbiking.

Excellent! I understand completely. That’s why I already have my Kenevo mods planned without even having bought or properly ridden the bike! I’m probably going to be staying in the Fox / Marzocchi family though with a Marzocchi Bomber 58 fork and Fox SLS spring, hence my interest in why people are swapping the shock out.

Funnily enough, I sold my 2009 SX Trail in 2018 too! Still sort of regret it. Fantastic bike.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Working on the bike, exchanging parts, doing mistakes, is all part of mountainbiking.
Exactly how I feel, I love it!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

All I ever wanted was a eDH bike.
I wanted 200mm travel back and front and I already had the fork from my last Kenevo so that was an easy swap. I think from memory it was a 46mm offset?
With this fork and a 29er front it slackens out to around 62 degree HA. Defiantly noticeable but still climbs no problems.
For the rear shock I wanted to keep it ohlins, they had a 242/76 so I had them reduce that by 6mm to give me 236/70. This gave me 201mm travel at the back and I initially ran two offset bushes to give me a 230 overall eye to eye measurement.
As the bush was solid without the thin outer bush it had no movement and the top bolt was always loosening itself. I decided to go back to a centre bush with the outer bush which raised my bottom bracket. No big deal as the bikes so long and slack it’s fine. Works out the same measurement as flipping the chip in the original shock.
I also checked by removing the spring and cycling the suspension to make sure there was clearance in the frame which there was.

As for the ride? Well it’s fine, I’ve taken it down some sketchy trails and take a few decent hits, drops and it loves it.
Not one problem so far, just lots of fun and I finally have my eDH.

A52CF76E-2069-42EC-8CA8-A4C583348166.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles