Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
OK, so many Michelin fanboys here (of which I am one) so I have to ask a question.

We are all using DH-22's. Me included. I deliberately chose them because I plan to ride in loose material, and 22's were rated slightly higher than 34's. I also hadn't tried the 22's yet. But on my other bike, I ride the 34's. And they too are AWESOME. I would go so far as to give 34's the edge. THough maybe not in loose stuff, hard to say.

But AWESOME. Anyway, people here presumably had the same choice, and chose the 22's rather than the 34's. Why?

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Yeah, about 0.2 inches thinner.

My only experience with 2.6's were the OEM tires. I skidded around like crazy on them. May as well been riding on Toys-R-Us bike tires.

Michelins put a stop to that, pronto. I don't care if the tire were 1.9" wide, grip and performance is king.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I will def give them ago , heard the grip is awesome . I’ve just got usd to 2.6’s but grip is king !

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
12-15 in front, 15-18 in the back. Tubeless in the front only, got a tube in the back.

145 lb / 65 kg, and kitted not much more (Just helmet and pads). I've not hit anything hard enough to, say, bend a rim. But I have missed a jump (I was later told that jump was no good, I noticed noone else was taking it) and landed real hard on the back wheel. Not to mention generally slamming into roots and rock gardens at 25 mph when I can get that much speed and no issues

Tho I do run those Michelin DH-22's which seem to have a super stiff sidewall, dunno if that helps too.

I have the same setup on my regular bike (37 lb trail bike) with DH-34's, with tubes front and back, and haven't pinch flatted yet. I guess riders typically weigh more than me. Tho climbing is a real bear with ultra-heavy tires and low pressure.

FredD

Jun 7, 2020
London
OK you brilliant people, with little else to do my mind turns to next upgrades, and with Christmas coming up I might be able to do some of them legitimately rather than telling my wife "they have always been like that" (new discs) or as per my golf life - "I won that driver in a comp"
I'm on a 2020 Kenevo Expert, S3.
So far all I have done is:
  1. tubeless,
  2. cut bars to 780mm
  3. 220mm Hope floating discs front and rear
  4. Levoceraptor
Bike is currently having the Hope Tech3 V4s fitted, some Deathgrips and the Michelin DH22s

Given the state I came back in last week I'm think about some mudguards so recommendations for those would be good, and perhaps a bar change - a carbon one from Hope/Oneup/Raceface/Nukeproof? Anyone seen pros/cons from changing bar geometry?

Also thought about shorter cranks to reduce pedal strikes.

Think the mullet conversion with the Fox40s will have to wait....

Thank you!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Though I would add my mullet info here being the main place for info as it will get lost in the other thread

First test today but with the bikeparks shut and the local trails consisting of wet chalk and roots covered in wet leaves it's not the best conditions.
Bike rode great though, no regrets but looking forward to trying it at my usual riding spots.
IMG_20201128_093135.jpg

IMG_20201128_093210.jpg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Inspired by this video
Has anyone switched to the back the Rockshox Super deluxe air shock? I know there are many Fox X2, but Rockshox combo fork+shock is way more cheaper.

Looking for this shock and Zeb combo and fork 29" because mullet mode

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Inspired by this video
Has anyone switched to the back the Rockshox Super deluxe air shock? I know there are many Fox X2, but Rockshox combo fork+shock is way more cheaper.

Looking for this shock and Zeb combo and fork 29" because mullet mode
Never mind, ordered a Fox X2 2021 model. I buy a 29 fork, when I find a good deal

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Another Kenevo Mullet here. I'm still not sold on it. Its bloody slack and the BB is higher even with the flip chip swapped around. Front feels floppy as its stuck out so far! I'm sold on a 29" front wheel though, thats for sure. Just not sure it works on this frame. I probably should have gone 170mm to bring the BB and head angle back towards stock a bit. In my head it seems wrong having more rear travel than front though. It'd be easier to get a feel for it if it the weather wasn't being so british as Its hard to push in the slop right now to really guage the difference.

What size shock are people using if switching back to air? Or who do you get progressive coils from. I either blow through the travel too easy or have it too hard. Can't find a middle ground.

20201021_203233.jpg

Found a temporary home for the Boxxer whilst waiting for a warranty repair on my Lyrik....

20201022_131943.jpg

Nikolaos Tsivis

Oct 19, 2019
Greece
Good day all!

My feedback/update/recommendations regarding suspension on my Kenevo 2020 Comp. If anyone is interested, go ahead and read below:

As I have posted earlier in this thread, I have upgraded the Marzocchi Bomber CR rear shock to a Fox Float X2 2020, size 230x62.5, custom tuned by J-tech suspension specifically for the Kenevo as well as my weight and riding style. I have also upgraded the oil side of the Marzocchi Z1 with a Fox 2020 Grip2 damper and serviced the air side as well. Lastly, I have been using the Shockwiz to fine tune the suspension of the bike and keep things balanced front and rear. The rear shock setting is in slack position and the wheels are kept to original 27.5".

The tyres, in my opinion are directly related to suspension. I am still using Assegai MaxxGrip DH tyres front and rear, no inserts, 26psi in the back and 23psi in the front. Perfect grip, plenty if support, no flats. Longevity is very very bad though. I've lost count how many tyres I've changed since I bought the bike a year ago...

Based on all the above, what I can say is:
  1. Service and custom tuning your suspension at specialized workshops (such as J-tech and TFTuned to name a couple) is totally worth it. I would most definitely prefer to pay custom tuning and/or custom upgrade (Andreani piston upgrade on my Grip2 damper for example) of my existing suspension rather than paying for new. Brand does not really matter in my opinion as long as the product chosen is holding up to the task. For example, in my opinion, the original coil shock failed on me twice. I now have a brand new one replaced under warranty and I am not installing it back on the bike...
  2. Using suspension tuning aids such as the Shockwiz is also very helpful and especially with e-bikes, you can have a lot of data very fast and perfectly tune the suspension. The tuning guides that come along with such aids is also a must read in order to understand how to use them. More expensive setups that work on coil systems as well should be great! Price is steep though. Again, I would prefer to buy such aids than buy new suspension.
  3. Fully service your suspension at least annually, keep the lower legs fresh on that fork. Some nice products for cleaning stanchions exist such as the WPL ForkBoost Lube that I am using, these seem to work nicely.
  4. Keep monitoring your pressures both in the suspension and the tyres. I would really like to buy the TyreWiz if I can find a nice deal on it.
  5. Use the best tyres you can find, weight does not matter here. Just protection, support and traction.
Lastly, for those looking to convert the Kenevo to mullet setup, see Marshall Mullen's YouTube channel and especially his own Kenevo setup. He goes through the setup in detail, how he changed the size of the rear shock, what fork he used, what travel adjustment did he make etc. very good videos. Needless to say that he knows what he is talking about...

I plan to write a 1 year review this weekend, hope to find the time...

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts.

Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Though I would add my mullet info here being the main place for info as it will get lost in the other thread

First test today but with the bikeparks shut and the local trails consisting of wet chalk and roots covered in wet leaves it's not the best conditions.
Bike rode great though, no regrets but looking forward to trying it at my usual riding spots.
View attachment 45755
View attachment 45758
It looks awesome mate

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Another Kenevo Mullet here. I'm still not sold on it. Its bloody slack and the BB is higher even with the flip chip swapped around. Front feels floppy as its stuck out so far! I'm sold on a 29" front wheel though, thats for sure. Just not sure it works on this frame. I probably should have gone 170mm to bring the BB and head angle back towards stock a bit. In my head it seems wrong having more rear travel than front though. It'd be easier to get a feel for it if it the weather wasn't being so british as Its hard to push in the slop right now to really guage the difference.

What size shock are people using if switching back to air? Or who do you get progressive coils from. I either blow through the travel too easy or have it too hard. Can't find a middle ground.

View attachment 46003

Found a temporary home for the Boxxer whilst waiting for a warranty repair on my Lyrik....

View attachment 46004
What’s a flip chip

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
I was all set to get a Kenevo, but at present there are none available in the USA, then the Santa Cruz bullit came out. Not available either, but I ordered one. The Bullit is not quite as aggressive as the Kenevo but it is already a mullet and I have two other SC bikes. I am taking a bit of a risk with the new E8 motor and 630wh battery compared with the Brose and 700wh in the Kenevo. For sure I think you get more bang for the buck with the Kenevo unless you really want a mullet which I do. If a Kenevo had been available when I wanted one then I would have one right now. I did a mullet on my SC Heckler and like it so much that I don't want a bike with a 27 front for the type of riding I do. I am pretty sure the next Kenevo is going to be a mullet.

Geo Alber

May 4, 2020
Northern California
I was all set to get a Kenevo, but at present there are none available in the USA, then the Santa Cruz bullit came out. Not available either, but I ordered one. The Bullit is not quite as aggressive as the Kenevo but it is already a mullet and I have two other SC bikes. I am taking a bit of a risk with the new E8 motor and 630wh battery compared with the Brose and 700wh in the Kenevo. For sure I think you get more bang for the buck with the Kenevo unless you really want a mullet which I do. If a Kenevo had been available when I wanted one then I would have one right now. I did a mullet on my SC Heckler and like it so much that I don't want a bike with a 27 front for the type of riding I do. I am pretty sure the next Kenevo is going to be a mullet.

I have a Kenevo on order with a Feb ship date as well... Been waiting forever. The Bullit is tempting, how long is that wait now?

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
I have a Kenevo on order with a Feb ship date as well... Been waiting forever. The Bullit is tempting, how long is that wait now?
For the IMO hideous lavender color I could get a bike in January. The bronze color may be March although my dealer said I might get one earlier. I am going for the bronze color. This in the USA.

Niklas Kinn

Dec 2, 2020
Denmark
Hey all og you.
i have a question abort my new kenevo Expert i Pick up to day.
It have a rockshok super deluxe select +
But it is a air shok an not a coil shok

B9EE3AAA-366B-46E3-BFDA-3C98606F4A2F.jpeg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It's the new standard. I've seen quite a few busted Marzochi coils but only one rockshox coil snapped on a German website.
I guess specialized have decided air is more suitable, either due to a stronger shaft or more likely to be set up correctly for the riders weight.
I wouldn't want an air shock either. I've never had one last more than 12 months without having the damping fail.

I partly blame specialized for not providing a suitable spring chart for riders weight like they did for the 19 kenevo.
Screenshot_20201105-181519.jpg

Screenshot_20201203-074553.jpg

I would hazard a guess a spring that bottomed hard here! Or even coilbound. Look how much preload has been wound on.
Screenshot_20201203-075729.jpg

Last edited:

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
They should be sold with a progressive spring imo. I bottom out what should be the correct spring so I've had to go bigger at the cost of some initial bump subtlety.

I'm still deciding between air and a progressive spring. I prefer a spring if I can too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles