Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Did you measure the bottom bracket drop on the new set up at all? I'm looking at doing the same but concerned the longer 29er fork with make the bb drop too small.
did not do actual measurements, just in my head
going to ride and go by feel. i'll measure after the bike feels right on all the types of terrain on my regular trails. also will see if i'm faster on strava
if it's an improvement i'll keep the set up

it's an extra fork i already had. i sold my Enduro it was previously on so it was easy to try out
for the purpose of providing info in these forums, i'll measure and post info soon as i will be doing a lot of rides this weekend

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
I MUCH prefer the bike with flip chip in high. night and day for pedal strikes, and avoids feeling like I am riding a BigWheel.

Shop that built my bike cut the fork steerer pretty short. Is it possible to replace the steerer on a Z1 if I wanted to add some stack height?

Dave11

Nov 5, 2019
Sydney
did not do actual measurements, just in my head
going to ride and go by feel. i'll measure after the bike feels right on all the types of terrain on my regular trails. also will see if i'm faster on strava
if it's an improvement i'll keep the set up

it's an extra fork i already had. i sold my Enduro it was previously on so it was easy to try out
for the purpose of providing info in these forums, i'll measure and post info soon as i will be doing a lot of rides this weekend

Thanks for the info, I look forward to hearing how it goes. I've got a new pedal bike coming in a few months with a 29 Fox 38 on it I will try on the Kenevo before I spend the money I think.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I guess all i had to do was flip the rear chip to the high position in order to get it to turn better
It’s a more playful and livelier set up with the 38
Even though the dual crown boxxer plowed through everything the ride felt dead

The 38 with 29er wheel still tackles the terrain with ease. I do have to fling the bike around more on turns with the big wheel up front, but it’s fun

Fox Factory dampening is real good. So much more comfortable than the boxxer select. I know it’s not an equal comparison, just comparing from stock set up. I like how it’s easier to pop the front with the lighter fork

I need to add more air to the fork since the psi is still set to the analog bike it came from. Currently have 1 token and may need to add another

Definitely going to keep this set up until my fox 40 arrives in December. Ordering SC Reserve DH 29er wheels to replace the borrowed front wheel.
8F00AA1B-DB87-4412-8C73-F6988C5C4664.jpeg
8DDBC101-41E8-46DA-B317-7476C5B1D34B.jpeg

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I don’t suppose anyone here has any experience getting the current expert (with dual crown fork) in the boot of a saloon, ideally without removing the stem / bars, have they?
I put my Kenevo w/Boxxer in the boot of a 2020 Seat Ibiza all the time. Front wheel comes off obviously, but back wheel stays put. I push the passenger seat forward and am good to go.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Anyone with an expert with boxxers I heartily recommend the cane creek crown race to replace the garbage alloy split one thats standard.
Been trying to track down my ever loosening headset and I'm sure this is the cause, all burred up where the bearing barely sits on it.
The cane creek is a really decent fit into the bearing with the addition of a seal.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi guys, what's up !?!

Just a few questions. I am about to order a Kenevo(delivered in Feb 20211). I wish to know something about the bike as I want to make some changes. I am ordering the Expert with the Boxxer. I want to put a different fork, but I am not sure if all works normally. Meaning, how is the steerer for the fork? If I would order a Fox 38 and it would be a tapered steerer, I need to change the headset? Also, do the wheels come with adapters for the 15MM axle? I mean, if I would go for a single crown fork, do I need to invest also in hubs?

I was looking for the Fox X2 but when I read that you need to cut into the frame, no longer a valid option :). Thank you all in advance! I hope to be a part of the club sooner than later haha!

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Dumb question, isnt the only difference between the comp and expert the fork, battery, and color? And $2800?

if you planned to change the fork, wouldn’t it have been better to get the comp, the $1300 battery, and be $1500 ahead?

or?

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
Dumb question, isnt the only difference between the comp and expert the fork, battery, and color? And $2800?

if you planned to change the fork, wouldn’t it have been better to get the comp, the $1300 battery, and be $1500 ahead?

or?

Availability of the bikes, and of course the color :)

Anyone that did the mods? Can you tell me the steerer tube and if the wheels come with adapters for 15mm?

CA320

Jun 22, 2020
SoCal
Hi guys, what's up !?!

Just a few questions. I am about to order a Kenevo(delivered in Feb 20211). I wish to know something about the bike as I want to make some changes. I am ordering the Expert with the Boxxer. I want to put a different fork, but I am not sure if all works normally. Meaning, how is the steerer for the fork? If I would order a Fox 38 and it would be a tapered steerer, I need to change the headset? Also, do the wheels come with adapters for the 15MM axle? I mean, if I would go for a single crown fork, do I need to invest also in hubs?

I was looking for the Fox X2 but when I read that you need to cut into the frame, no longer a valid option :). Thank you all in advance! I hope to be a part of the club sooner than later haha!
I have the 2020 expert kenevo and have changed the boxxers to a Fox 38.

You will need a new lower crown race and new stem only to switch over to the 38’s.

I have tried a lot of different ways to make that front wheel work with the 20mm axle from the boxxers and currently have a reducer to 15mm in there and have filed down the spacers to fit but it still isn’t 100% right. The area on the Fox forks doesn’t work with the bigger area needed for the RockShox torque caps.

You will probably have to get a new hub to get it to work correctly.

I ended up getting the 29er 38 forks and plan to switch between wheels for different types of riding but I’m ok with the 27.5 set up the way it is.

If you end up finding a better solution to the fork adapters please let me know.

Pablo

Aug 25, 2019
Hampshire
Hey,
Anyone having problems with their marzocchi cr shock? Had 1 replaced awhile back under warranty, it blew again, took it to bike shop, they returned it to be repaired again under warranty, now they’ve come back to me saying they’re not repairing it, they’ve offered me a fox DPX2 shock, and have said this is what the kenevo comp 2021 will come with, as to many problems with the marzocchi??
Tried telling them I bought the bike with a coil shock, I want a coil shock back, they ain’t having it,
I can have the dpx2 or credit towards and new shock??

Zoot Allures

Sep 17, 2019
West Wales
Hey,
Anyone having problems with their marzocchi cr shock? Had 1 replaced awhile back under warranty, it blew again, took it to bike shop, they returned it to be repaired again under warranty, now they’ve come back to me saying they’re not repairing it, they’ve offered me a fox DPX2 shock, and have said this is what the kenevo comp 2021 will come with, as to many problems with the marzocchi??
Tried telling them I bought the bike with a coil shock, I want a coil shock back, they ain’t having it,
I can have the dpx2 or credit towards and new shock??
Been on exactly the same journey as you on this one. Marz Cr shock blew - had it repaired .... and then blew again a few months later. I took it up to Silverfish / Fox myself and they diagnosed a split in the shock shaft and told me it would be about a 3 month wait until the parts were available to fix it under warranty. Luckily my LBS offered me the DPX2 option you've been offered - I didn't want to lose anymore riding time so went with it.

I completely understand your thoughts about keeping it coil. I'm a big coil fan myself and have run them on my e-bikes for the last 4 years - however, I'm actually quite liking how the Kenevo feels with the '21 DPX2. It certainly makes the bike feel livelier on less demanding stuff. I guess there's the usual trade off when you hit the really rough stuff, but the bike is so capable on serious downhill that I haven't really found it a problem yet. Was planning on upgrading to an Ohlins TTX coil but based on current experience I'm going to hold off for a while and ride with the DPX2 for a bit.

Pablo

Aug 25, 2019
Hampshire
Been on exactly the same journey as you on this one. Marz Cr shock blew - had it repaired .... and then blew again a few months later. I took it up to Silverfish / Fox myself and they diagnosed a split in the shock shaft and told me it would be about a 3 month wait until the parts were available to fix it under warranty. Luckily my LBS offered me the DPX2 option you've been offered - I didn't want to lose anymore riding time so went with it.

I completely understand your thoughts about keeping it coil. I'm a big coil fan myself and have run them on my e-bikes for the last 4 years - however, I'm actually quite liking how the Kenevo feels with the '21 DPX2. It certainly makes the bike feel livelier on less demanding stuff. I guess there's the usual trade off when you hit the really rough stuff, but the bike is so capable on serious downhill that I haven't really found it a problem yet. Was planning on upgrading to an Ohlins TTX coil but based on current experience I'm going to hold off for a while and ride with the DPX2 for a bit.

thanks for the response, not overly fussed as when it blew it was a good excuse to upgraded to EXT storia, (which it’s pretty amazing) just wanted to keep the marzocchi so if/when I sell I got the option to return it to original,
??

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
I refuse to ride air. or own it, anyways. too set in my ways, and has everything to do with low intensity stuff, not the high intensity stuff. I haven't blown my shock yet, but I guess with a 400-470 lb progressive spring, I might? No way would I accept an air shock, especially in the back. I just don't like the way they ride at lower speed.

Stormhard

Oct 8, 2019
Uk
I've recently the damper shaft crack on my Bomber CR shock. Slightly different circumstances though...:

I sent my shock off for a service / tune back in June as the rebound damping was ineffective. At that point I was told that there was uneven wear on the damper shaft, most likely caused by myself as I hadn't followed the manual correctly and I'd tightened up the bottom shock mount before torquing up the top mount bolt. I had a new damper shaft fitted. The part cost £12.50. A few weeks ago the shock dumped all of it damping fluid. I returned the shock to the independent service centre and they found that the shaft was cracked. They contacted Fox on my behalf to see if they would warranty the shaft. The response was that they would not honour the warranty as the shock fitted to a Kenevo and they do not recommend this application!! The irony was not lost on me but for £12.50, I wasn't bothered... However, I did email Specialized to let them know.

I was told that it's not uncommon to have this issue with specialized bikes that use the yoke / clevis design. The issue with the Bomber is that it has an aluminium damper shaft. I am told that the Ohlins uses a steel shaft and that they bomb proof. The EXT shock do use a larger diameter shaft but its still aluminium. I have also been advised that linkage bearings should be checked regularly as this can also cause problems.

I'm going to upgrade to either an Ohlins or a Fox X2 (which obviously has a much larger damper shaft).

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Actually since we are on the subject, I do have an odd experience.

I have mounted and unmounted the shock a few times now to try different springs. I have noticed now that when fully extended, the shock doesn't actually fit the gap on the bike. Holes don't line up to get the bolts in place, eye-to-eye on the shock is a couple mm too long. This is with zero spring tension. I have to set the damping to max, then compress the shock and push the upper bolt through before the slow rebound makes the eye-to-eye too long again for the bolt to go in smoothly.

Anyone else ever have that experience? Once in place the bike rides fine, but it's weird for removal and installation.

Stormhard

Oct 8, 2019
Uk
Actually since we are on the subject, I do have an odd experience.

I have mounted and unmounted the shock a few times now to try different springs. I have noticed now that when fully extended, the shock doesn't actually fit the gap on the bike. Holes don't line up to get the bolts in place, eye-to-eye on the shock is a couple mm too long. This is with zero spring tension. I have to set the damping to max, then compress the shock and push the upper bolt through before the slow rebound makes the eye-to-eye too long again for the bolt to go in smoothly.

Anyone else ever have that experience? Once in place the bike rides fine, but it's weird for removal and installation.
Does the shock still measure 230mm, eye to eye?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Ive seen on Facebook , yeah I know.. that the shock is changing from coil to an air shock on future kenevos. Not that it makes any odds to me, although a more progressive suspension would be an improvement. Anyone else seen this?
Edit it's listed now on the specialized website, comp shown below. It makes sense seeing as they are incapable of publishing a recommend spring size for a given riders weight. But I would still rather have a coil.

Screenshot_20201105-181912.jpg

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
no, but I can understand it. I'm 150 lb and I didn't like the 450 lb spring I was using. I went to a 400-470 progressive spring, it's pretty nice.

I would take that over an air shock any day.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Ive seen on Facebook , yeah I know.. that the shock is changing from coil to an air shock on future kenevos. Not that it makes any odds to me, although a more progressive suspension would be an improvement. Anyone else seen this?
Edit it's listed now on the specialized website, comp shown below. It makes sense seeing as they are incapable of publishing a recommend spring size for a given riders weight. But I would still rather have a coil.

View attachment 43720
I rather keep the coil

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Best tires. I also run the DH-22’s, they are GREAT.

my thought, at your request, is man that fox 40 sure makes thekenevo look like a skinny-tube framed dainty bike! Wow.

Neil Grady

Nov 6, 2020
southampton
Shimano saint brakes
sram eagle axis wireless drive train
eagle wireless dropper
240 watt battery range exstender [ i now have 940 watt for long rides]
rental bars
deathgrips
e thirteen race dh front wheel
michelin dh 22 tyres 27.5 rear 29ner front [tubeless]
ht evo me03 pedals
fox 49 fork
custom wrap by Essential wraps
levorapter tuned

Love it

Gonna change bars to black tinker a few other bits here and there and shes done

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles