Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Does anyone use an air shock on the rear of their Kenevo? My Bomber CR just died and I'm thinking an air shock could liven up the bike.
Yes. RockShox Super Deluxe RCT. An air shock will definitely liven it up, but she is not as plush as the coil.

IMG_20200106_172231.jpg

Last edited:

chin.surf

Jun 25, 2020
kent
After fixing creaking from from forks I now have fluid leaking from the rebound adjuster after riding my local trails today.is it an easy fix .ta
20200730_112739.jpg

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
In my Kenevo I have suffered creakings that apparently came from the front part and were actually caused by the dropper post - seat tube clamp
Quick intro since I am new to the site. Been riding MTB since 1988 (yes I am old) and have owned multiple Levo's and both versions of the Kenevo.

Current setup is getting pretty dialed now. Build is a 2020 Kenevo frame, upgraded 700wHr battery, 2020 Lyrik Select fork (temporary to test 29 wheels), Fox X2 Factory rear shock, Roval 29 Carbon wheels (temporary for testing), Renthal cockpit, PNW Bachelor post, WTB Silverado saddle, Saint brakes, CushCore front and rear, full AXS XX1 drivetrain.

Planning on building a new custom wheelset now that I am now that I am sure about the 29 wheels. I have done a lot of experimentation so happy to answer any questions on the multiple iterations I have gone through. View attachment 36788

View attachment 36789
Will you finally go with 29er front and rear?
Do youn really prefer the air X2 shock better than a coil shock?

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Quick intro since I am new to the site. Been riding MTB since 1988 (yes I am old) and have owned multiple Levo's and both versions of the Kenevo.

Current setup is getting pretty dialed now. Build is a 2020 Kenevo frame, upgraded 700wHr battery, 2020 Lyrik Select fork (temporary to test 29 wheels), Fox X2 Factory rear shock, Roval 29 Carbon wheels (temporary for testing), Renthal cockpit, PNW Bachelor post, WTB Silverado saddle, Saint brakes, CushCore front and rear, full AXS XX1 drivetrain.

Planning on building a new custom wheelset now that I am now that I am sure about the 29 wheels. I have done a lot of experimentation so happy to answer any questions on the multiple iterations I have gone through. View attachment 36788

View attachment 36789
Maybe have to buy a new 29 fork, because the original Zocchi 27,5 has so little clearance for a 29 wheel.
What lenght of 29 fork you installed and what is the rake?

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
Hi All!

Just bought a new Kenovo. Though I'm 5'11," I prefer a smaller bike and the S3 fits me perfectly.

Unfortunately, the 500lb spring on the coil shock that comes on the S3 is woefully under-sprung for my loaded up weight of 195.

I just did a few runs of really aggressive riding at Downieville these last couple days.

I have the spring preload dial turned way up and even then the bike feels a bit "squishy" at times.

Should I try the 550 or go right to the 600lb spring? Or should I consider the Cane Creek progressive spring?

Also, what size spring is on this shock? It's been 15 years or longer since I've fiddled with a coil shock and have forgotten how to calculate spring size.

Thanks for any help!(y)

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Hi All!

Just bought a new Kenovo. Though I'm 5'11," I prefer a smaller bike and the S3 fits me perfectly.

Unfortunately, the 500lb spring on the coil shock that comes on the S3 is woefully under-sprung for my loaded up weight of 195.

I just did a few runs of really aggressive riding at Downieville these last couple days.

I have the spring preload dial turned way up and even then the bike feels a bit "squishy" at times.

Should I try the 550 or go right to the 600lb spring? Or should I consider the Cane Creek progressive spring?

Also, what size spring is on this shock? It's been 15 years or longer since I've fiddled with a coil shock and have forgotten how to calculate spring size.

Thanks for any help!(y)

I weigh 235 lbs.
RockShox Metric Coil Spring - Length 151mm, Travel 57.5-65mm

i got the 550lb from worldwide cyclery for my s3 then i sized up to an s4 which has it so now i have an extra. Turns out my nomad 4 used the same coil so i have 3 of the exact same in black. I can sell you one if you’re interested. $20

heading out to downieville today....

671D2A96-EC71-4B3B-916C-E91C111C0337.png

Dave11

Nov 5, 2019
Sydney
Does anyone use an air shock on the rear of their Kenevo? My Bomber CR just died and I'm thinking an air shock could liven up the bike.
Yep, I've got a float X2 and it is really good. I ended up with a 600 spring on the CR and it would still bottom out on fast flatish landings. I think the Kenevo benefits from a shock that can be more progressive.

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
I weigh 235 lbs.
RockShox Metric Coil Spring - Length 151mm, Travel 57.5-65mm

i got the 550lb from worldwide cyclery for my s3 then i sized up to an s4 which has it so now i have an extra. Turns out my nomad 4 used the same coil so i have 3 of the exact same in black. I can sell you one if you’re interested. $20

heading out to downieville today....

Thanks! PM'd you. Have a great time at D-Ville, dude.

Last edited:

BrettG

Jul 1, 2020
Has anyone experienced either a single loud crunch, or a few crunches originating in the motor area? I can feel them too, and it's disconcerting.

I've noticed a fairly regular single crunch when I have been coasting for a moment, and then initially apply torque to the pedals. I usually ride in Eco mode and don't notice it as much then, but if I'm in Sport or Turbo it's not uncommon.

A few days ago I was climbing a steep section that had a step-up over a log and as the rear tire reached the log, and I attempted to power up it, I heard a series of the same sort of awful crunch, and had to drop a foot.

The sound is reminiscent of a cordless drill with a clutch, but a larger and more unsettling crunch (link was supposed to take you to the right time, but isn't, so go to 1:30 for an example:

panaphonic

Apr 24, 2020
New Zealand
Has anyone experienced either a single loud crunch, or a few crunches originating in the motor area? I can feel them too, and it's disconcerting.

I've noticed a fairly regular single crunch when I have been coasting for a moment, and then initially apply torque to the pedals. I usually ride in Eco mode and don't notice it as much then, but if I'm in Sport or Turbo it's not uncommon.

A few days ago I was climbing a steep section that had a step-up over a log and as the rear tire reached the log, and I attempted to power up it, I heard a series of the same sort of awful crunch, and had to drop a foot.

The sound is reminiscent of a cordless drill with a clutch, but a larger and more unsettling crunch (link was supposed to take you to the right time, but isn't, so go to 1:30 for an example:

It's the motor/belt. It will fail soon, happened to mine.

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
In Bergen we have alot of mud, and not much sand, so I need a tire that releases mud fast.
Maxxxis Shorty Maxxgrip* front and same (or maybe Maxxterra) rear is your choice for that, especially if its "clay"/mud.
I like the Shorty 2.5 WT a lot as it's good on 30-35 rims. Maybe that’s OK for you? They do also make bigger I believe.

*beautiful grip and confidence from the maxxgrip. The Bontrager G5 DH tyre takes some beating too but is slightly less good at shedding mud..

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
In my Kenevo I have suffered creakings that apparently came from the front part and were actually caused by the dropper post - seat tube clamp

Will you finally go with 29er front and rear?
Do youn really prefer the air X2 shock better than a coil shock?

Yes 29 F/R and the X2 is awesome, but may not be for everyone. Personally I love both and have no intention of going back.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Hi All!

Thanks for any help!(y)

Just go straight to an air shock. This linkage is not really progressive enough for a coil setup even though it comes with one stock. If hou ride hard you will bottom it consistently unless you over spring it and then you will lose the small bump compliance.

Dave11

Nov 5, 2019
Sydney

I had that about 5 minutes before the motor died. The good news is that the newer motors seem much better. My first motor got 700km, the second only 450km but my third and one with the updated belt hasn't missed a beat in 1300km. I wouldn't ride too far from the car.

BrettG

Jul 1, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experiences panaphonic and Dave11. So far it doesn’t seem to be getting worse, and the local mechanic acted like Specialized won’t do much for me at this point, unless the thing fully fails.

BrettG

Jul 1, 2020
Sage Green Kenevo owners: have you been able to find a good paint match or paint code for these bikes?

I called Specialized in Morgan Hill and they told me that they will not provide codes or touchup paint as it would encourage people to make knock-off bikes. I thought that was a pretty odd comment, given the paint is the least challenging part of copying one of these....

Last edited:

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
So here I am again with a new bike. My Kona Remote 160 got stolen :mad: My insurance company was unable to source another one and got me this 2020 Kenevo Comp instead. It's size S5 and pretty close to what Kona in XL was.

I've had just a quick ride home from store. I have previously owned a Levo 2017 and had already forgotten how smooth, natural and quiet the Brose motor is. Originally I wasn't so keen on the color, especially after the really good looking Kona, but it's growing on me.

Components are a bit hit and miss. Love the motor, suspension is good enough and for once saddle and grips are not something that need to be replaced immediately. I've always liked SRAM brakes, they are like Brose motors - wonderful when they work :) 150mm dropper could be longer, it's slammed all the way down in the photo. Also, 12 speed eagle would have been nice, my local downhill spot is a very steep climb. I'm probably changing the stem for a 35mm long one and bars to Renthal riser.

And the last nice thing was that I could setup the fake channel to show battery percentage on my Garmin Forerunner 45 watch (which itself does not support Garmin IQ apps, incl Levo data fields).

Kenevo2020Comp.jpg

Last edited:

robwormald

May 16, 2020
Santa Cruz Mountains
My new (sort of) Kenevo: I bought a 2020 Expert a few months back, and accidentally damaged the upper shock mount threads - entirely my fault, overtorqued a dirty bolt out on a ride. Threw myself at the mercy of my LBS, and they ended up working out a solution - they couldn't find a single S3 Expert Kenevo to replace it with, so we agreed on a Comp with all my Expert goodies (suspension, battery, etc) and upgrades swapped over. Couldn't be happier with my LBS or Specialized HQ. Ended up with a pretty unique bike!

bike.jpg

Clint026

Dec 31, 2019
Las Vegas
Has anyone tried a new Zeb? I'm kicking around going 29er 190mm travel but I'm concerned that the BB height will be raised to high. My other thought is to go 190mm 27.5 with the 38mm offset...thoughts?

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Hi all, I need to order a 650lb spring for my Kenevo Expert (RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Select Plus, 62.5x230mm). My local shop says they are backordered and it took them a week to look into it so I'm pretty anxious to find another coil that might work or a different vendor who might have stock. I'm in California, US, but for a coil I could probably order from anywhere if anywhere.

If anyone has a lead, I'd love to hear!

Many thanks,

Brett
Ordered my 650# spring from JensonUSA about two months ago. See if they still have stock.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Change the crown race to a cane creek 40 Series 52/30 1-1/8.
i agree
the stock bearing seats perfectly on cane creek and fork stays centered when reinstalling
the bearing always slid on stock crown race. had to eyeball to make sure it was straight before applying torque on top cap
as you can see the stock crown race (right) shows uneven wear. probably from not being 100% centered with bearing
cane creek eliminates that issue

i got the heavier 40 series steel. there's also a 110 series made of alloy
IMG_0904.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

robwormald

May 16, 2020
Santa Cruz Mountains
i agree
the stock bearing seats perfectly on cane creek and fork stays centered when reinstalling
the bearing always slid on stock crown race. had to eyeball to make sure it was straight before applying torque on top cap
as you can see the stock crown race (right) shows uneven wear. probably from not being 100% centered with bearing

View attachment 38401
View attachment 38402
Oh good, this makes me feel much less insane. I struggled for a while getting the headset and crown race mated properly.

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
i agree

View attachment 38401
View attachment 38402

Any idea where this can be sourced in the UK?
Im Struggling to find one online?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles