2020 Jam2 6.8 Nine/6.7 Nine

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Afternoon all,
I've been to look at a few bikes recently but I'm still edging towards one of these two. From comparing the specs they look almost identical apart from saddle/grips etc apart from the obvious suspension components.
The 6.7 has a RockShox Recon RL (presumably 32mm) and the 6.8 has a Fox 34 Rhythm. For the rear the 6.7 has a RockShox Deluxe Select and the 6.8 has a Fox Float DPS Performance.

My question is, obviously the Fox kit is superior but is it really £600 superior (£4599 vs £3999)? It seems like a lot of money but if I'm going to be splashing out replacing the Recon before too long then it's a false economy to go for the cheaper bike.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: MsO

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I think I would pay the extra £600 & not have to worry about up grading later
If you like upgrading later, you should be buying a specialized bike ?

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Controversial ?

I went to look at a 2018 S-Works Turbo Levo for £5k but it sold the day I went. The only other option there in my budget was the '19 Turbo Levo Comp but I was loathed to spend £5k for the spec level when the 2020 bikes are so close. I haven't completely discounted it but I wasn't sure on the colour schemes either (I know!).

I also went to see the Scott Strike 920 today which looked lovely but the shop wanted 10% over the discounted price (so £4k) and I'm pretty sure GCI only charge 5% so I felt like they were taking me for a ride (no pun intended). It was also the previous Bosch motor so for a few hundred quid more and a short wait I can get the new motor.

The Whyte at £4750 is tempting but for overall value the two Focus bikes are top of the pile.
As an aside (I know this is the Focus forum) - Whyte should really just release the information and press bikes (especially since it was leaked online) rather than being all secretive and keeping interested parties waiting.

I appear to have gone off on a tangent. If anyone else has any comparison of the two forks and the cost/value ratio, it would be much appreciated :LOL:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'd pay the extra, without a doubt. For me it is always the suspension that I end up upgrading as, after the frame design, it is the most important component of ANY bike.

Long after the short pain of paying the extra is forgotten, you will be enjoying the long lasting benefit of the better ride.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Cheers, I suppose it's only £11 a month extra over the 24 months so I'll just drink a couple of bottles less wine and not have to worry that I've done the wrong thing! ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Cheers, I suppose it's only £11 a month extra over the 24 months so I'll just drink a couple of bottles less wine and not have to worry that I've done the wrong thing! ?

Err, £600 over 24 months is £25/month not £11/month. (assuming zero % interest rate)

On the other hand it's only £5.77 per week! That is less than two pints of beer per week. You can easily afford that small sacrifice. :)

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Sorry, the £600 is before the scheme discount so we're both wrong, it's about £17 hah! The 6.7 is £2,719 and 6.8 is £3,127 after savings ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Are they the Shimano or new Bosch models with the big battery?

I would make sure you are fully aware of the range limitations of the smaller built in battery on the Shimano models - yes you can get the tec pack for them, but the add a lot of weight to the bike in the wrong place.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Cheers R120 - it's the new Bosch bikes I'm looking at. I considered the TEC pack bikes but figured I'd probably be taking it with me all the time anyway just in case so it didn't work for me

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The new Focuses do look very well thought out, and Focus as a company have been in the EMTB market for a while now, meaning moist first generation foibles will have been sorted.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Gold Coast Queensland Australia
Afternoon all,
I've been to look at a few bikes recently but I'm still edging towards one of these two. From comparing the specs they look almost identical apart from saddle/grips etc apart from the obvious suspension components.
The 6.7 has a RockShox Recon RL (presumably 32mm) and the 6.8 has a Fox 34 Rhythm. For the rear the 6.7 has a RockShox Deluxe Select and the 6.8 has a Fox Float DPS Performance.

My question is, obviously the Fox kit is superior but is it really £600 superior (£4599 vs £3999)? It seems like a lot of money but if I'm going to be splashing out replacing the Recon before too long then it's a false economy to go for the cheaper bike.

Thanks in advance!
Just done the same exercise recently buy the 6.8 if you can afford to as it’s not only the suspension that is far superior it also has better drive gear , better digital read out, better seat, even though they look similar, when you really look at it there is a lot of subtle difference ms and upgrades you couldn’t do the upgrades for £600 it worked out for us to be $2500 (Aud) approx £1400 difference. So the extra £600 is well spent if you can.

rokyluk

Oct 11, 2020
Slovenia
Question about Chainstay on Jam2. On their website its written 427mm but on some online test they mention 447 ?
Is there anybody who can measure this...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles