2020 Giants are listed

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Rode a E+1 today. They were great looking. The components were good - a lot better then the Levo. The Yamaha - I expected the feel to be bad, but it was not. It was just fine, but could be quieter if you care about stealth. Ride position felt more forward than Levo, and less slack - which is odd considering some random YouTube video said it was the best downhill bike. I felt a little vulnerable.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Rode a E+1 today. They were great looking. The components were good - a lot better then the Levo. The Yamaha - I expected the feel to be bad, but it was not. It was just fine, but could be quieter if you care about stealth. Ride position felt more forward than Levo, and less slack - which is odd considering some random YouTube video said it was the best downhill bike. I felt a little vulnerable.

did you ride the Trance or the Reign?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Looked at the new reign over lunch. Definitely quieter than the 2019 Trance I rode and the E+ 0 is rather fetching in that green color. Also like the new battery cover/bash-guard compared to last years one as that was just a mud catcher.
Only had a short sift around the carpark but could see myself on one easily enough if it had a 700Wh battery. Suspension design is far superior to many way more expensive bikes.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The stack on the Giants is pretty low compared to the competition (Trance is well known for this, and one of the reviews on the new Reign above point it out too). They also seem to cut the steerer fairly short so it’s not easy to remedy with spacers - you really need a riser bar. That low stack combined with the long chainstays is probably why you felt more forward on the bike.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I noticed the US listing for the Reign says "Shifters AXS, e-bike synchronized." Does the yamaha now have shift detection?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Anybody know if the new Trance E+ will get this integrated magnet like the Reign?

1565827178022.png

Also, Only on the NZ Reign spec sheet, do I see the term "e-bike synchronized.' No listing, I can find from the other regions, mentions this???
1565827943379.png

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Anybody know if the new Trance E+ will get this integrated magnet like the Reign?

View attachment 17110
Also, Only on the NZ Reign spec sheet, do I see the term "e-bike synchronized.' No listing, I can find from the other regions, mentions this???
View attachment 17111
yes I expect the trance to get the new sensor magnet. Much better there than where it currently is - have seen 2 bikes there the sensor wire got ripped out with the old setup.
I expect e-bike synchronized means it is set to only shift 1 gear per click unlike the standard XO that goes through 3(?) at a time if worked that way - and of course this is the new wireless system.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
yes I expect the trance to get the new sensor magnet. Much better there than where it currently is - have seen 2 bikes there the sensor wire got ripped out with the old setup.
I expect e-bike synchronized means it is set to only shift 1 gear per click unlike the standard XO that goes through 3(?) at a time if worked that way - and of course this is the new wireless system.

Now this make sense. Thanks!

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
In 11 S the XO offers 5 so 2 shifts covers the 11 S range.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Always laugh when i see some clown trying to go 5 at a time under load and destroying their rear derallieur.
Downshifts are still single click though.
You can laugh i never talked about an Ebike and i never shift under load. At 61 today i broke my first hanger. I never broke any derailleur.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Broke the NX Derallieur on my Scott earlier this year. Initially I folded it after the top idler wheel came loose and fell out. LBS found a replacement wheel and screw but 2 rides later the cage just folded up under load and wrapped itself up badly.
I think it didn't like the original straightening after the idler fell out.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Have to watch out with the over run on the motor. Grabbed a stick today and felt the over run and got on the brake quick. Luckily i stopped it in time. Still a lot to learn what i can do sith the motor. Climbing some stuff but i feel like an E-hack at this point. Have to bend my elbows in synch with the motor intuitively to really get it goung on the climbs i think. Im just kind of xloppy adjusting to it when it surges, except when the price of a r derailleur is in the mix, all over that brake

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
FYI:
A Lizard Skin chain slap protector works great for keeping the sensor cable wire and brake line protected and quiet. I cut two slots for the bracket and wrap it up snug with the skin. Cheap too.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Anybody notice that Gaint has jumped on the short crank bandwagon. The specs seem to be a mix bag of which bikes get what cranks... but generally they are all shorter compared to last year. Some regions even seem to get different length cranks based on frame size when compared to other regions. The good news for us 2019 owners is we will soon be able to order shorter cranks from our lbs.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Anybody notice that Gaint has jumped on the short crank bandwagon. The specs seem to be a mix bag of which bikes get what cranks... but generally they are all shorter compared to last year. Some regions even seem to get different length cranks based on frame size when compared to other regions. The good news for us 2019 owners is we will soon be able to order shorter cranks from our lbs.
Please let us know when that happens. My bike came with 175, i switched to 165 and i am searching for 155.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Please let us know when that happens. My bike came with 175, i switched to 165 and i am searching for 155.
I didn't see any that short, but the medium Reign e+ comes with 160mm cranks in the regions I checked, and so does the new Trance e+ size small in the UK. I'd start calling my dealer now if I needed them. I went to the 165mm, added a few PSI to the shock and I only strike now when I make a mistake.????

That said, if I dont trade my Trance up to a Reign, I will likely be trying the 160mm cranks soon as possible.

Last edited:

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I didn't see any that short, but the medium Reign e+ comes with 160mm cranks in the regions I checked, and so does the new Trance e+ size small in the UK. I'd start calling my dealer now if I needed them. I went to the 165mm, added a few PSI to the shock and I only strike now when I make a mistake.????

That said, if I dont trade my Trance up to a Reign, I will likely be trying the 160mm cranks soon as possible.
Thanks i will try searching for a week than go for 160 if i do not find some 155

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles