2020 Giants are listed

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia

Agreed, quite underwhelming, although the change from 2018 to 2019 was significant so they might be holding off till 2021 to get some value out of the 2019's design.
Unfortunately for Giant a lot changed in a few areas of EMTB's over the last 8 to 12 months mainly battery sizes and motors.
I wonder if Giant have used the new Yamaha motor, no mention that I could see.
Not a fan of the new E+1 colours, the only real difference I can see is the drive-train change from Sram GX & CodeR to Shimano XT.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Interesting. What brands do you think would represent better bang for buck though? Over here it seems Giants only competitor pricewise is Trek, everyone else (meaning specialized & Focus- the only other popular bikes sold here) is at least a couple of grand higher.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
They have 6-sensor motor technology (rather than the current 4), which suggests the new Yamaha motor is being used.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I love Yamaha, i wish for shorter chainstay and an Efatbike to play in snow. Please Santa. If not them, i hope the new Bosch is reliable.

Growler

Oct 2, 2018
Chch, NZ
Interesting. What brands do you think would represent better bang for buck though? Over here it seems Giants only competitor pricewise is Trek, everyone else (meaning specialized & Focus- the only other popular bikes sold here) is at least a couple of grand higher.

I presume you mean NZ where I am based?

The 19 Giants are definitely tempting, I'd like to see the 20 Trek range and pricing when they hit.

I have my budget set at the $7-8 k range so its a 19 SX pro, new Giant, Trek or Merida, and maybe a Specialized or 19 Commencal.

Everything else in NZ is as you say seems to have major $$$ thrown on top.

I had a local NZ Merida dealer say the new Carbon e140 will have a mid range at the $7k mark, that's due to hit Sept.

I will probably hold out until the xmas/boxing day evo/torpedo sales. I am recovering from a shoulder reconstruction so I can't ride until then anyway so time is on my side!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I have my budget set at the $7-8 k range so its a 19 SX pro, new Giant, Trek or Merida, and maybe a Specialized or 19 Commencal.
Evo has the SX 0 at a good price. Was almost on a E+ 0 but went for the Levo to allow for the 700Wh battery.
Componentry wise it is Giant or Scott that is giving the best bang for your buck currently.

Growler

Oct 2, 2018
Chch, NZ
Evo has the SX 0 at a good price. Was almost on a E+ 0 but went for the Levo to allow for the 700Wh battery.
Componentry wise it is Giant or Scott that is giving the best bang for your buck currently.

Cycle science has the SX at $7199 which torpedo 7 will price match.

Who does scott in NZ, I really only see avanti and their website is shocking.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Cycle science has the SX at $7199 which torpedo 7 will price match.

Who does scott in NZ, I really only see avanti and their website is shocking.
I use Cycology Avanti Plus in Hamilton. The boss there Scott is awesome to deal with. Also locally Cycletime does Scott but always try to puch to Speccy.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
No one can come close to Giant's e-bikes in Canada when it comes to look, motor and component pack under $6k. My good friend spent 4 months testing every other bike out up and down the valley and ended up getting the Trance E+ SX 1 Pro (2019) | Men E-bike bike | Giant Bicycles Canada
I agree but i just wish they used shorter chainstay to be more for my style of riding. Also last year it seemed they only imported some of the Emodels. Will they offer an Efatbike?

Yielar

Apr 14, 2019
Kelowna, BC
I agree but i just wish they used shorter chainstay to be more for my style of riding. Also last year it seemed they only imported some of the Emodels. Will they offer an Efatbike?

Long chainstays make it a mule for uphill climbs as you probably know but can be trickier in the tight technical stuff going down but I've gotten better at that area with practice. There is definitely a trade off for being a billygoat.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I see the Fathom E+ 3 has gone to 29” wheels and a gaudy blue colour. They’ve also removed mention of assist limit which makes me wonder if it’s dropped to 25km/h.

Really glad I got the 2019 model on sale from T7 now.

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I use Cycology Avanti Plus in Hamilton. The boss there Scott is awesome to deal with. Also locally Cycletime does Scott but always try to puch to Speccy.
Had a look at the Scott however it seemed the cockpit is too busy with cables - same when I was looking at an analogue bike.
We have an evo cycles opening in Nelson here next week so may be an opening sale. The Treks look good too. T7 had a Trek LT9 for around 5600 I think which was bloody cheap but TBH too much bike for me. Like turning up to a BBQ with a side of beef.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Had a look at the Scott however it seemed the cockpit is too busy with cables - same when I was looking at an analogue bike.
I hear ya - have both the Genius & the eGenius. Selling them both and moving to something top of the line not I am a 100% convert. If I was keeping the eGenius I would just remove the twinlock.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
The TRANCE E+ 0 PRO 2020 they have an Xo1 derailleur with an NX cassette, surely that's a misprint. The colours are a bit meh, the designs although not bad don't look as sleek as other manufacturers

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
The TRANCE E+ 0 PRO 2020 they have an Xo1 derailleur with an NX cassette, surely that's a misprint. The colours are a bit meh, the designs although not bad don't look as sleek as other manufacturers
I guess the code of the derailleur is the model made for Ebikes(no multiple shifts). I did not check but the 11 S should be 11-42 or if 12 S 11-50

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I guess the code of the derailleur is the model made for Ebikes(no multiple shifts). I did not check but the 11 S should be 11-42 or if 12 S 11-50

It's the cassette code that appears wrong
SRAM PG1230, 11-50T, 12sp which is the NX

Would seem very strange to have the NX eagle on the TRANCE +0 and the better GX eagle on the bottom TRANCE +3. Who knows, I wonder if there is a new SX model with the coil

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
It's the cassette code that appears wrong
SRAM PG1230, 11-50T, 12sp which is the NX

Would seem very strange to have the NX eagle on the TRANCE +0 and the better GX eagle on the bottom TRANCE +3. Who knows, I wonder if there is a new SX model with the coil
Not sure of the cassettes but I know the NX derailleur is much better on a ebike than the GX.
The NX has a steel cage where the GX is alloy. I have destroyed a GX cage on a long climb on my analogue bike - and was in big ring on the back. My riding buddy yelled at me when he noticed it bending but it was too late.
NX Der with GX chain is my preference.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The NX and SX are the only 12s cassettes that Sram approve for ebikes, so it's most likely correct. (Unless things have changed for 2020) Last year a few manufacturers went with Sram 11s 11-42 to save weight on the cassette. The 2020 E+ 3 has an SX cassette (PG1210), not the GX!?

Last edited:

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I didn't expect much from Giant in 2020 after the 2019 overhaul but glad to see they addressed the big issue...HUBS!!!! New hubs/wheels will return confidence to the franchise.

The other main spec changes I can see on the Pro 1:
  • Shimano componentry: seems to be the equivalent spec as 2019's SRAM
  • Rear shock has a reservoir, not a big upgrade
  • Rear tire now a Maxxis High Roller II, much better than the 2019 Rekon which was crap
Agreed there are more flashy options in 2020, but Giant are still leaders when it comes to getting bang for your buck!

I suspect we'll see Giant make more significant moves in 2021.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The only real gripes I had about the 2019 Giants was that they were too noisy for my taste and the battery cover was a horrible mud catcher.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I claim the Syncdrive Pro motor has not been upgraded in this video. That turns out to be wrong. More info has been released now, and the motor has been updated with even better high cadence support and a new dynamic assistance level.
https://youtu.be/lxwCcSRX

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Another Reign review - that Yamaha motor whilst apparently improved significantly does still mean longer chainstays however...

1565614853279.png

Giant Reign E+ 0 PRO review

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Haibike has been doing 450mm chainstays on their yamaha-Xduro since 2017. I believe it's the rear suspension that's pushing the rear-center. But a more compact motor design would help ofcourse.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles