2020 ebike - Spectral:ON

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I think it is highly unlikely we will see the E9000 any time soon. If it was going to be released imminently surely we wouldn't have seen so many new 2020 bikes from other Shimano brands (Commencal, Merida, Kona, Vitus, etc) with the E8000?

Maybe sooner than we think. I don’t think it’s going to be a new motor but a upgrade like the Yamaha. Look what the new Bosch do it to Shimano, kicked it from too many brands, Shimano has to react, no choice

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
by the way, there’s no need to fully integrate battery, that’s a pure cosmetic thing that has bring many design downsides, just made a clean look, don’t leave the battery out there, it’s not hard to do a “fake” integration or semi integration with some light plastic or some

Just think how fine it will look with a carbon fiber case covering the battery and giving a more integrated shape to the frame

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
OK for me, if I had not already bought one, would buy it for sure now. Still the best choice if one thinks cost wise.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Yes but Kenevo is a very different bike

For many reasons this is the best and worst advice ?

If you live within half an hour of a decent Spesh dealer, then this is great! Make sure you have a spare e-bike, by all accounts you’ll need it.

Plus in the UK the Spectral:ON 6 is down to £3k running Fox suspension with ALL of the Shimano reliability.

To be fair, the two bikes are incomparable. One will most likely cost far less and be far more reliable than the other.

I have mates looking at their first e-bike. The Canyon deal is a no brainier right now.

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
If you're in the UK and anything went wrong with a canyon ebike , won't it be a nightmare trying to get it sorted? Has anyone had to send one back under warranty,if so how did it go?
So do you guys think the Shimano motors and batteries are more reliable than the specialized/ brose offerings? Cheers, I'm wanting an ebike but it's driving me nuts trying to decide what to do for the best. I have a specialized dealer not too far away but all the levo problems I keep reading about are putting me off.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If you're in the UK and anything went wrong with a canyon ebike , won't it be a nightmare trying to get it sorted? Has anyone had to send one back under warranty,if so how did it go?
So do you guys think the Shimano motors and batteries are more reliable than the specialized/ brose offerings? Cheers, I'm wanting an ebike but it's driving me nuts trying to decide what to do for the best. I have a specialized dealer not too far away but all the levo problems I keep reading about are putting me off.
Levo is sold so much that it also comes with bad versions. Only those who have problems write about them in different forums. Others just ride.

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
Yes I can see your point, but some of the lads on this forum have had several motor failures,and a few local levo riders I know have had problems.

If I could buy the canyon from the local bike shop for the price mentioned above I'd get one in a heartbeat . Perhaps I think too much?.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
If there’s a problem with the Canyon then you can just pack the bike up and ship it to Canyon.

Plus you can get everything.....except frame issues......dealt with by Canyon’s supply-chain, usually direct and in Country. Plus Shimano dealers that can sort the motor/battery issues are everywhere.

This deal-direct method means the bikes are half the price of those that are sold via dealers (they need some profit!).

If you are bike-tech competent, then direct sales really are the best!

There’s thousands of Spesh owners and they pay a large premium for it, no wonder they hit the keyboard when the bike goes wrong.

You pays your money you takes your chances.

I’m 1000 miles into the Shimano motor and it’s utterly faultless-haven’t replaced anything but a tyre, and this is the UK where it’s perma-muddy and freezing, the bike is hosed down, sometimes jet washed and sponged off, then parked up ready for tomorrow. Try that with a Specialized ebike at the moment.

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
Cheers folks,these are the kind of answers I'm looking for!

Most of my riding mates are moving to ebikes now. I live on Cannock chase and ride about 50 miles a week on the off piste stuff on my clockwork hard tail , the trails are a mudfest at the moment so I need something that'll cope with those conditions and take a bit of a beating.
There is a Shimano service centre reasonably local to us (two wheels only)which was recommended by someone on this forum last week.

What size spectrals are you all riding? I am a typical 5'10" and have always been awkwardly between medium and large on my other bikes, although my friends large levo fits me well.
Sorry for going on but over 3 grand feels like a big lump for me to drop on a bike,way more than I would normally spend so I don't want to make a mistake if I can help it so any opinions appreciated.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Sizing will always be tricky!!! Go on reach.
I’m 5’11 and Large is perfect on the Spectral - it might be ideal for you, but the Medium with everything extended would work too. Depends on reach and whether you like a compact or slightly stretched riding position. Use their sizing calculation and pay close attention to a bike you know and the geometry.

And find someone near to with one and have a go, you’ll know instantly!

Or just order both and then send one back ??

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Ok friends, insider source ... in May the new Spectral will be announced
That is pretty much what I was expecting - by that stage most of the in-demand 2020 E8000 bikes will have sold out ;). That will mean Shimano can announce the E9000 (or whatever it will be called) without devaluing too much existing stock.

Last edited:

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
Be interesting to see how the new ones will be priced given the uplift in pricing for most ebikes that seems to be happening.

I think my just purchased neuron:eek:n will do me for a couple of years unless there is something substantially better about the new ones.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Cheers folks,these are the kind of answers I'm looking for!

Most of my riding mates are moving to ebikes now. I live on Cannock chase and ride about 50 miles a week on the off piste stuff on my clockwork hard tail , the trails are a mudfest at the moment so I need something that'll cope with those conditions and take a bit of a beating.
There is a Shimano service centre reasonably local to us (two wheels only)which was recommended by someone on this forum last week.

What size spectrals are you all riding? I am a typical 5'10" and have always been awkwardly between medium and large on my other bikes, although my friends large levo fits me well.
Sorry for going on but over 3 grand feels like a big lump for me to drop on a bike,way more than I would normally spend so I don't want to make a mistake if I can help it so any opinions appreciated.

just got back from a day out on the monkey and stile cop and it is indeed a sludge fest with massive puddles every 10 feet, my first properly wet ride was apprehensive about water getting into any contact point or the motor getting gunked up but had no issues. bike is absolutely plastered in mud and pine needles, brakes were squealing can hear the grit in the cassette and callipers.
Bike straight back in the shed, cleaning is going to have to wait for another day.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
How long have you had yours Dwr? Have you had any problems with it at all ,how many miles do you get out of the battery? Cheers.

i’ve had it 16 months, only small problem i had was the seatpost not coming up / going down properly but that was only because the collar had worked loose.
Range is a bit subjective, depends on how fit you are and how much work you want to do but i’ve had a decent days riding round the peak district around 40k and a couple of thousand feet climbing.

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
Well,I've bit the bullet and ordered a spectral 6 in large (despite the canyon site saying medium ) from the outlet for £2800. Hope it fits okay! At 5'10 I usually come in at a medium on other manufacturers size charts but these have always felt too small for me,so it's ?.
Can anyone recommend any mudguards that fit well? Also are there any winterizing mods I should be doing?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Be interesting to see how the new ones will be priced given the uplift in pricing for most ebikes that seems to be happening.

I think my just purchased neuron:eek:n will do me for a couple of years unless there is something substantially better about the new ones.

You know Canyon works on the e-commerce line so with luck even with price increase will stay on fair prices, below the average but with good specs on it

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Give me an external battery any time, it's all a bit marmite for some, but much prefer it.
Not much change it seems, but why change something that's good !!! 12 speed and a few new components you could always go for the Roadlite !!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles