2020 E-Escarpe vs E-Sommet

kernowlogic

Nov 27, 2020
Cornwall
I wonder if anyone could confirm - I've got an e-escarpe 2020 and comparing to an e-sommet 2020, the frame looks identical. It seems that the difference purely is the 140mm travel on the front and back, with the back being managed by reducing the shock stroke from 65 to 57.5. The difference on the shock stroke seems to be limited purely by a spacer within the shock itself (since a stroke of 57.5 is not available as stock only 55, 60, and 65).

To partially compensate for the reduced shock stroke, the beefier 2.8 tyre has be put on the e-escarpe rather than the 2.5 on the e-sommet, this is likely why the head angle on the e-escarpe is -0.5 than the e-sommet (bit odd with the e-sommet being the more agressive of the 2 bikes)

The only thing I'm not too sure on is whether the v-link / rocker is different between the 2. If it is, is seems to be a difference of a couple of mm.

I imagine that by reducing the tyre on the rear of the e-escarpe, that you could use the same 205x65 shock from the e-sommet.

If anyone is able to confirm it'd be helpful.

Cheers

Matt

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I believe the shock stroke on the 2020 eSommet is 62.5mm, I havn't checked the H.A. but I thought the Sommet was about 1deg slacker than the 2020eEscarpe
The normal 2020 Sommet is definately slacker than the normal Escarpe, I was thinking about putting a -2deg Works angleset in my Escarpe...

ATB Frank

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I wonder if anyone could confirm - I've got an e-escarpe 2020 and comparing to an e-sommet 2020, the frame looks identical. It seems that the difference purely is the 140mm travel on the front and back, with the back being managed by reducing the shock stroke from 65 to 57.5. The difference on the shock stroke seems to be limited purely by a spacer within the shock itself (since a stroke of 57.5 is not available as stock only 55, 60, and 65).

To partially compensate for the reduced shock stroke, the beefier 2.8 tyre has be put on the e-escarpe rather than the 2.5 on the e-sommet, this is likely why the head angle on the e-escarpe is -0.5 than the e-sommet (bit odd with the e-sommet being the more agressive of the 2 bikes)

The only thing I'm not too sure on is whether the v-link / rocker is different between the 2. If it is, is seems to be a difference of a couple of mm.

I imagine that by reducing the tyre on the rear of the e-escarpe, that you could use the same 205x65 shock from the e-sommet.

If anyone is able to confirm it'd be helpful.

Cheers

Matt

I cant confirm as im yet to see a Sommet in the flesh, but everything ive seen or found would suggest they are the same frame, but as you say a shorter fork to compensate somewhat for the bigger front wheel, and that fatter rear tyre to lift the back up a little to finish it off.

Certainly there is nothing physically stopping the Escarpe rear from moving the 170mm of sommet travel if you remove the shock to check, other than eventual tyre contact with the bigger tyre.

Ive thought about getting a bigger shock, but instead went the other way and fitted a 29x2.5 rear wheel, which fits with space when rear travel is only 140mm. Does lift the bike again but not a lot over the 27.5x2.8.

kernowlogic

Nov 27, 2020
Cornwall
I believe the shock stroke on the 2020 eSommet is 62.5mm, I havn't checked the H.A. but I thought the Sommet was about 1deg slacker than the 2020eEscarpe
The normal 2020 Sommet is definately slacker than the normal Escarpe, I was thinking about putting a -2deg Works angleset in my Escarpe...

ATB Frank

You would've thought it'd be the same on the E-bikes but Vitus' site show the geo differently between the 2 - maybe it's because the base sommet is 160mm whereas the VR up are 170mm which would take it to 64.5 I think. I've got an escarpe with 29er 160mm rockshox 35 rl fitted and with that the head angle measures at 64 rather than the stock 65.

Sommet HA
(B) Head Tube Angle65.5°

As for the stroke - it seems to be 205 e2e and 65 stroke on all models of the sommet, and 205 e2e and 57.5 on the escarpe.
Sommet
SHOCKRoackshox Delux SELECT R

205X65 DEBONAIR, 3 TOKENS, LL TUNE, TRUNNION, 22mm x 8mm

Escarpe
SHOCKRoackshox Delux SELECT R

205X57.5 DEBONAIR, 3.5 TOKENS, LM TUNE, TRUNNION, 22mm x 8mm

This makes me think even more that Vitus are simply taking their bestselling Sommet, changing up the shock (with a 2.5mm spacer from a 60mm metric shock), sticking a 29er on the front with 140mm travel, and then a 2.8 tyre on the back and suddenly they've got a 'trail' bike to market. Makes economical sense to use the same frame and just change up the config a little.

I cant confirm as im yet to see a Sommet in the flesh, but everything ive seen or found would suggest they are the same frame, but as you say a shorter fork to compensate somewhat for the bigger front wheel, and that fatter rear tyre to lift the back up a little to finish it off.

Certainly there is nothing physically stopping the Escarpe rear from moving the 170mm of sommet travel if you remove the shock to check, other than eventual tyre contact with the bigger tyre.

Ive thought about getting a bigger shock, but instead went the other way and fitted a 29x2.5 rear wheel, which fits with space when rear travel is only 140mm. Does lift the bike again but not a lot over the 27.5x2.8.

That's good to know that a 29er 2.5 fits and doesn't interfere with the full travel. This makes me believe more so that with a 27.5x2.6" tyre, the 205x65 shock will fit. I expect I'll then end up fitting a 170mm fox 36 or lyrik to the front in time reducing the need for any offset headset.

Thanks for you input both - that's been very helpful.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:

kernowlogic

Nov 27, 2020
Cornwall
Just in case anyone else wonders about this - I've fitted a 205x65 shock (RS super deluxe ultimate) and with a 2.6 tyre there is plenty of clearance between the tyre and the seat tube. I expect a 2.8 27.5+ tyre would be OK too, but it looks like a 3" tyre would be too much. Kept the same tune as on the old shock.

No other issues seem immediately apparent - v-link is fine. This is on a 2020 medium e-escarpe.

Hopefully I don't find any after a ride!

kernowlogic

Nov 27, 2020
Cornwall
I've taken the escarpe with the new shock for a ride and all is good. Managed to bottom out the shock and no issues (same as when I first tested the shock without air). Just need a bit more pressure or some tokens in the shock now!

I've attached an image with the measurements between the bolts (taken with calipers on the inside edge of the hole) in case it's useful for anyone else.
vlink.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles